Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:43 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The SNJ-3 01796 that I'm restoring was requestioned by the Navy from an AAC contract.
There are little differences between models.
If you want to know what parts were used in an AT-6B get the B parts listing from the NASM. I have the AT-6A listing which is the same as a SNJ-3.
In viewing your photos I wouldn't be surprised if your A/C isn't built up of parts from various models. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of US models having the plexi window on the fuselage so that may be Harvard.
If your airframe is a hybrid than having a source of drawings with as much coverage as possible will make your job easier. Even if you get a part that isn't from your B model being able to identify it and possibly modify it could be a good thing.
Short version is I would get the drawings on DVD along with the parts list for a B and go from there.
Again good luck.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 pm 

Thanks Again Rich,
Yeah, I'm beginning to sense this T-6 is a mongrel. I'm sure the right wing is a transplant (No gun bay access doors), and with the ballast window pointing to the rear fuselage being Harvard, heaven only knows what other parts were traded out during it's civilian life.

I'm probably over thinking the Army/Navy difference issue. In reality, the only parts I'm liable to have to fabricate are some of the radio shelves and mounts and the gun installations, and those are probably the same between the models anyway.

I'll follow your advice and get the B parts list as a comparison and cross reference, and work from the DVD set until I run into some dead end.

Thanks for the help.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:33 pm 

Officially began work on the AT-6B today by opening up the gear wells and removing the rear cowlings. The surprise was the gear wells are remarkably intact and clean. No surprise is that nearly all of the equipment behind the engine is long gone. Still have to remove the mounting clips and rails installed to hold the gear well covers in place.
This Texan was placed on outdoor display in 1986, and any opening where birds or animals could get in were covered, including the gear wells. The cowling panels were riveted in place to prevent vandals stealing them or entering the airframe.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

After several false starts, I finally got a base created for the Prop Governor generously donated by Brandon (BDK). As much as I want to install it, I'm going to set it aside until I have de-riveted and removed the front cowling, and fabricated the bell crank assembly and connecting rod for the governor.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

That base you made looks fantastic! Glad that worked out for you.

P.S. Thanks for the certificate you sent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 pm 

Thanks Brandon!
I hope to fabricate the bell crank assembly soon from the engineering drawings, but will hold off on installation until the prop and engine work are done.
Just got word that my restoration proposal has been approved by the NMUSAF, so it's full speed ahead.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:51 am 

Mustanger55 wrote:
Thanks Brandon!
I hope to fabricate the bell crank assembly soon from the engineering drawings, but will hold off on installation until the prop and engine work are done.
Just got word that my restoration proposal has been approved by the NMUSAF, so it's full speed ahead.

Congrats! that is good news!

Keep posting progress pics mate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:17 pm 

Got to work on the governor today, building and installing the bell crank assembly and mounting the governor to the base. Ended up spending 3 hours making this one part, and putting everything together. :?

ImageImage

Went back to the cowlings, this time to remove the fairings over the main gear wheels. Only managed to get the right side off today, but removing these will make removing the mounting tabs and strips used to attach the anti-bird covers much easier, as well as repainting and repairing tubing, etc.

IMAGES REMOVED

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm 

To save putting too many pictures here on these pages, I'm going to include a link to the web page for the latest updates.

Latest Update July 27, 2013. Removed the left side landing gear well fairing and got our first small batch of parts for the T-6. Photos here http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b ... ogress.htm

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Great work! Keep it up. Wish you lived near me... ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 pm 

Thanks Brandon,
I'm having a ball. It would be great to have an experienced T-6 owner/builder close by. Right now, just trying to get all of the cowlings pulled off before the weather turns cold. The hanger isn't heated and I'll retreat to the shop during the winter to fabricate, refurbish and paint parts.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:26 pm 

Still working to gather parts for the cockpit to fill in the many missing components. During the winter, I'll have them to work on in the nice warm shop.
A couple of new acquisitions are these well worn MC-125 Tuning Controls. Hopefully, I'll be able to restore these, but could use some help. One is missing the knob for the crank handle and the other lacks the metal indicator assembly. If anyone has these bits and pieces lying about the hanger, I could sure use them. PM or contact me at at6b@comcast.net
Any help appreciated.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:18 pm 

August 10, 2013
I was under the weather last weekend so was looking forward to getting back to work on the Texan today. In my haste to get to the museum, I forgot to pack my camera, so no pictures this week. My goal was to get the nose ring cowlings off today and after much effort, finally managed to remove them. The hard part was removing the anti-bird panels that were attached to the rear of the cowling with over 100 rivets and a dozen screws. Each had to be removed without doing further damage to the cowlings. Also removed were the two small panels directly in front of the windscreen and the ram air scoop beneath the engine. With the ring cowling off, I'll give the engine a once-over to clean and touch up bad spots, then begin to strip and repaint the propeller and hub.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:59 pm 

Another Saturday working on the T-6. Mostly detail work, but did discover these AT-6 main wheels among the museum's back stock. Plans are to demount the tires, clean and inspect the wheels and possibly offer them as trade items for needed parts to complete our restoration. The wheels on our T-6 are in good condition.
IMAGES REMOVED
The left wheel has its brake assembly still installed, but the all-weather tire is badly worn. The right wheel rib tire is in better condition, but the wheel has only the brake drum attached to the wheel. Both have a 1943 manufacture date, one in Feb 43 and the other in August 43.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:01 am 

Hi Norm,
Your enthusiasm is great, please keep up the great work!
If you are planning on removing the tires from those rims using old fashioned Spoons, prepare yourself for a battle!
It took the power machinery of an automobile "Mag Rim" shop to break the beads and remove the tires from an old set I had.
Remember, one lip is a smaller diameter than the other so tires go on and off the rim only one way.
Also, Spoons can gouge and damage the rims severely.
Just my two cents worth. Good luck with the project.
Vincent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:19 pm 

Thanks for the heads up Vincent,
The FBO across the ramp from the museum hanger has a bead breaker that we used to change the Mustang tires. Still, it was quite a struggle, as the old tires were gel-filled. These have probably been untouched for a few decades so I expect it to be difficult.
Hopefully, these will prove usable after being cleaned up and inspected.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next