Switch to full style
This section is for the discussion of the Restoration of Texans, Harvards and SNJs
Post a reply

Re: AT-6B Static Restoration - Chanute Air Museum

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Thanks Ken,
As can be expected, I was both disappointed and a bit pssst when the news came down, but what can we do? Unless a Bill Gates or roughly equivalent multi millionaire comes galloping in on a white horse with checkbook in hand, the end is inevitable. Heaven knows the museum has teetered on the edge a few times in the last decade.

Thanks for the kind words. The "work" we did at the museum was more fun and satisfying than the word work can convey. Imagine a few crazy guys with ZERO aircraft maintenance-repair training or experience being allowed to work on these beautiful WWII aircraft! If we've made a difference with others, I hope it will encourage them to volunteer and lend support for their local aviation museum. All that's needed is a love of aviation and the willingness to commit to a project for the long haul.

If you don't have a museum nearby, check around your local airfield for that poor guy trying to piece together a T-6 or other airplane by himself in a T-hanger, and offer your help. With luck, you'll learn a lot, accomplish some, and maybe even get a free ride or two out of the deal. :D

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 pm

the pic of the b-25 at Hanscom AFB "east ramp"hanger was that in 92-93 with a crew chief named Joe who used to be a tail gunner??? i believe i also worked on her but was never able to find her again with no name or #s in any of the pictures i had from then.. i would do anything to show her to my kids

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:33 pm

That is my photo..

Russ was the tail gunner.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b25regis ... 30324.html

and

viewtopic.php?t=16810&highlight=n3161g

Phil

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Since the announcement that the Chanute Air Museum is closing at the end of this year, we have been awaiting word on the disposition of the aircraft in the collection here. Today, we learned that the P-51H Mustang, Louisiana Heatwave will be going to the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Georgia. https://www.museumofaviation.org/ We don't have a date for the move but assume it will be next year after the Chanute Air Museum closes.
For those who aren't familiar, our restoration pages are located here>>>> http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/index.htm
At this time, we haven't been told where the AT-6 will be going, but I'll pass that along as soon as I know.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Have all the aircraft already found homes? Or are some of the aircraft still available for acquisition to other museums? I know our museum would probably love to get a few airframes. Who would we have to talk to? I know for one Id love to have the AT-6 on display.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Don't think they've all found new residences yet. Contact NMUSAF in Dayton to add your name and which aircraft wanted to the list that they already have. The museum has quite a lot already on the list but not many can handle the requirements/restrictions the museum places on the aircraft.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:47 pm

To echo cooper9411, if your organization is interested in USAF loaned aircraft at the Chanute Air Museum, it would be best to contact the NMUSAF in Dayton. To the best of my knowledge at this time, CAM hasn't received any relocation notices other than for the Mustang.
Latest word is that the Mustang will probably be relocated to the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Georgia in the latter half of August. The City of Rantoul wanted to keep the Mustang, T-6 and F-86 and is continuing to pursue those A/Cs. Obviously they won't get to keep the Mustang as noted. If your organization is interested in one or more of the planes here, I'd suggest you hurry to get your request in.
Good Luck!

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:25 pm

After a couple of years, the last hurrah as the T-6 boards a trailer to Wright-Patterson and the NMUSAF at Dayton. Bye Bye Baby!

Sorry to see her go, but life's like that sometimes.

Norm
AKA Mustanger

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:13 pm

At least she's going to a good new home. Well done for all your work, Norm.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Well this is a sad way to end this thread. Unfortunate. I was really looking forward to updates on this project.
Post a reply