Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 am 

Looking for a Harvard MK 4 throttle quadrant (British style mixture "rich" aft).
Thanks to PM me WITH YOU E-MAIL

Last edited by The Frog on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:56 pm 

Looking for a Harvard MK 4 throttle quadrant (British style mixture "rich" aft).
Thanks to PM me WITH YOU E-MAIL as I can not PM yet (too new to the site) :(

Last edited by The Frog on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 am 

PM sent. Trying to post pic but not as easy with an iPad.

Chunks

T-6/SNJ Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

In case you end up needing to assemble one from parts, the quadrant is essentially the same as T-6. The linkage setup changes the mixture rich from forward to aft, nothing in the quadrant itself. The spacers in the quadrant can be changed to either style to get the correct markings. The throttle handles are also interchangeable to the Harvard 4 style.

I am not aware of a source of spare parts for the throttle quadrants, but if someone reading this knows of one, please post that information.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am 

BDK you are correct
The challenge is in the latches that are different and hard to find
My Harvard had been modified to the T6 quadrant and I am trying to change it back to original.
All fun...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

What "latches" are you referring to?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 pm 

When the Canadian Car and Foundry manufactured the Harvard MK4, the ones that went to the US (under T6J and those under 4M) had the North American quadrant (mixture rich forward etc)
The Harvard MK 4 under RCAF were equipped with the quadrant modified to British Standard.
There are 2 latches, one on the throttle handle base and one on the Mixture lever. Those are not found on the T6 style.
I posted a few pictures on my Barnstormers add https://www.barnstormers.com/listing_im ... ?id=858573 , please take a look as photos are worth a 1000 words:)
Also, the Harvard MK 4 was equipped with a long aluminum throttle handle instead of the knob.
Cheers,
Olivier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Thanks for that, I've never seen (or at least noticed) the latches, probably because they are not required in the US with the reversed mixture control. Now if I see one, I'll know what it is!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:40 am 

Hi Olivier,

Your mentioning the Harvard 4 throttle having a long aluminium grip got me thinking about my T-6D which has such a handle on the rear throttle. It isn't fixed and rotates freely, is about the width of ones palm and has a standard British round Bakelite push-button recessed slightly in the end of the grip. However, it doesn't have the latches as illustrated in the Barnstormers photo (understandably for the same reason you wouldn't have a friction control in the back).

Does this sound like a Harvard 4 rear throttle? It may not be available as while we have a box of throttle bits with enough parts to make up a replacement rear unit for the D, we also have a Harvard 4 which is lacking a rear throttle (and a front throttle for that matter if any more are found).

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:20 pm 

Yak3 wrote:
Hi Olivier,

Your mentioning the Harvard 4 throttle having a long aluminium grip got me thinking about my T-6D which has such a handle on the rear throttle. It isn't fixed and rotates freely, is about the width of ones palm and has a standard British round Bakelite push-button recessed slightly in the end of the grip. However, it doesn't have the latches as illustrated in the Barnstormers photo (understandably for the same reason you wouldn't have a friction control in the back).

Does this sound like a Harvard 4 rear throttle? It may not be available as while we have a box of throttle bits with enough parts to make up a replacement rear unit for the D, we also have a Harvard 4 which is lacking a rear throttle (and a front throttle for that matter if any more are found).

If it has the British-style Air Ministry Bakelite switch, it would most likely be from a wartime Harvard Mk II, IIb or III. Postwar units had a up/down toggle switch for intercom and transmit functions.

:partyman: