Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm 

Hi there,
we need to clean our oil cooler (T-6G) prior installing the brandnew overhauled engine.
Advice from local mechanics range from (easy) flushing with gas with the cooler still installed to disassembling and (professional) ultrasonic cleaning bath.

Any good or bad experience so far?

Thank you
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I had mine overhauled and didn't find that to be too expensive. Seemed like good insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 am 

Hello Chris,

I'm glad to see you are moving along with your project.

In my honest opinion, It would be penny wise and pound foolish to ruin a freshly overhauled engine because you didn't send the oil cooler out for a proper cleaning and overhaul.
While you are at it clean the inside of every rigid oil line and replace every flex line. It is cheap insurance.

The oil cooler needs to be cleaned and flushed using an ultrasonic technique to remove all the old accumulated metallic particles and grime.

Just my two cents worth,

Oh, and I still have the two "G" model fuel bladders available if your interested.

Vincent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:03 pm 

Hey Chris,
as far as i have seen, the T6-G Oilcooler is quite easy to remove, so i think the ultrasonic cleaning bath is the best Idea...

Stefan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pacific Oil Cooler will have a exchange unit on the shelf, They had a A-26 cooler next day when I needed it.
http://oilcoolers.com/

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm 

Hi Matt,
thanks for your advice.

Last week we dropped our oil cooler at Pacific Oil Coolers in CA, LA Area. Very friendly staff, they invited us on a tour through the shop right away. We had the impression that they will take care of our oil cooler very well.

Costs will be ~USD365 for cleaning/overhaul/checking of vernatherm/painting/etc.

Once we have it back, I will post pictures prior and after overhaul.

Christoph

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm 

Just for Info,
we just got ours back from Pacific Oil Coolers. It looks like new...

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:06 pm 

C.6-60 wrote:
Hello Chris,

I'm glad to see you are moving along with your project.

In my honest opinion, It would be penny wise and pound foolish to ruin a freshly overhauled engine because you didn't send the oil cooler out for a proper cleaning and overhaul.
While you are at it clean the inside of every rigid oil line and replace every flex line. It is cheap insurance.

The oil cooler needs to be cleaned and flushed using an ultrasonic technique to remove all the old accumulated metallic particles and grime.

Just my two cents worth,

Oh, and I still have the two "G" model fuel bladders available if your interested.

Vincent

What he said... plus I would still flush it out again when it gets home backwards and forwards.

\

http://www.facebook.com/an8pilot 912-547-5477 Mike Robinson, son of David Robbi Robinson of Corrosion Corner Airport Facilities KMIA. In JAX now running around St Simons Brunswick and JAX. A&P IA w/over 14000 hrs total time now flying all kinds of junk w/ tailwheels, over 8300 PIC Jet. Flew on DC-8, DHC-6 Twin Otter, 737, CRJ & CL-850 Beechjet 400XP, Hawker HS-125 850XP, King Air 350 down to 90, T-6 SNJ Stearman and Navion. DC-8 at Fine Air Arrow Air, CRJ at NWAirlinkPinnacle, 737 at United, King Air and Twotter overseas ISR. If you knew Dad, Dave (Robby) Robinson of Corrosion Corner say hi. He is missed, so stories keep him alive. That's only reason for this long signature. I'm still working on old stuff. Back at United after furlough now, so I can jumpseat around the world to go get stuff. Interested in parts anywhere to put my junk back together. T-6 SNJ Stearman, Cub, Porterfield, Skybolt. But now I'm interested in one of those Silent Two Electro Sailplanes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 am 

Hi there,
as promised in Feb. some pics of the oil cooler prior and after the overhaul. Costs were around USD 400 at Pacific Oil Coolers