Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 pm 

Hey guys,
during the restauration of our T6-G we found a crack in the front spar of one of the stabilizers. The crack is about one inch from the attachment fitting.
Has anyone experience who could do such a repair (i suspect the spar has to be changed or a splice inserted) or how good the interchangeability of this stabilizers is?
Does anybody has one in spare (quote with lance is on the way)

Thanks

Stefan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Looks like going to large in replacing that rivet or some issue squeezing that rivet. The spar is real thin material.
I would say the spar will need to be replaced or replace the stab. They are universal and will bolt in on either side. Their are 2 metal types and either of those can be used. There is a thread on a few I have rebuilt in the T-6 area.
Currently their is an ad on Barnstormers.com for a T-6F being parted out. Horizontals are listed at $900.
Lance has them used for around $3500.
Good luck.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm 

Thanks Rich,
this is kind of what we expected, there is just not enough room for a doubler in this area.
So we have to figure out if we would be able to replace the spar otherwise we will shoot for the exchange stab.

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 pm 

Hi Rich,
if you can find the T-6F ad could you please post the link? I can't find it and I also need a horizontal. Thanks, Robert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm 

Enemy Ace wrote:
Hi Rich,
if you can find the T-6F ad could you please post the link? I can't find it and I also need a horizontal. Thanks, Robert

Here ya go!
http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_ ... TEXAN.html

:partyman:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:41 pm 

Thanks a bunch... Ollie, right?
-Robert
SNJ-5 N11SH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:31 pm 

Enemy Ace wrote:
Thanks a bunch... Ollie, right?
-Robert
SNJ-5 N11SH

Nope! :) We both play with Harvards though...lol

Shane
:partyman:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:55 pm 

Thanks Shane!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 pm 

Hello,
to solve the problem with the cracked spar we got a quote from Lance for a new spar and/or a new stab:
- new surplus undrilled spar @550USD
- mil o/h stab @2850USD (the best one he could offer was 3500USD)

Then we had this Barnstormer AD that Rich mentioned. A friend of us who was already travelling around in Texas picked up one of the available stabs and brought it to germany. In a dark night on a german autobahn rest area I met him to take over the stab. Try to imagine the face of a nearby truck driver as he watched the 'conspirative meeting' and a big piece of aluminium went from one trunk to another :-)

Unfortunately the used stab was in worse condition than expected and described and we decided to repair our original one.

Doing the spar exchange or spar repair ourselves is unfortunately beyond our sheet metal capabilities. We were extremely lucky to find some help from two experienced engineers, who took over the repair job strictly according to the structural repair manual.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:08 am 

Looks good....I had a big question mark when it was written above that a repair could not be done due to the limited area. Looks like the guys did a good job per the repair manual.

http://www.facebook.com/an8pilot 912-547-5477 Mike Robinson, son of David Robbi Robinson of Corrosion Corner Airport Facilities KMIA. In JAX now running around St Simons Brunswick and JAX. A&P IA w/over 14000 hrs total time now flying all kinds of junk w/ tailwheels, over 8300 PIC Jet. Flew on DC-8, DHC-6 Twin Otter, 737, CRJ & CL-850 Beechjet 400XP, Hawker HS-125 850XP, King Air 350 down to 90, T-6 SNJ Stearman and Navion. DC-8 at Fine Air Arrow Air, CRJ at NWAirlinkPinnacle, 737 at United, King Air and Twotter overseas ISR. If you knew Dad, Dave (Robby) Robinson of Corrosion Corner say hi. He is missed, so stories keep him alive. That's only reason for this long signature. I'm still working on old stuff. Back at United after furlough now, so I can jumpseat around the world to go get stuff. Interested in parts anywhere to put my junk back together. T-6 SNJ Stearman, Cub, Porterfield, Skybolt. But now I'm interested in one of those Silent Two Electro Sailplanes.