Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:02 pm 

My 49 T-6G model still has 99% of it's original wiring until today. It's interesting that no one has taking the time to remove most of the original radio wiring harnesses and today I did. Most of it ran from the pilot beaker box to the rear radio buss box and went to a empty buss block. Quite a few wires were still live and I don't ever plan on putting stock radio's back in the plane and for me it just makes sense to delete it all. This picture was taken after I've already removed mounds of wire and switching relays from this box.
My question is how often do guys just remove the radio buss box all together ? Currently I have my the original copilot floor light wiring going through it and a newer intercom system. 6 connections in all and it could easily be taken out. Believe it or not I just pulled the copilots original US Army 101-c indicator out that also was terminated in the radio bus box and hasn't worked probably in 50 years since the original radios were taken out.

While deleting my original 49 radio wiring I go to thinking about my APU wiring. It's also still Hot and original. I can't imagine any reason to keep it since I don't have an APU and I don't think I can charge through it with the master battery switch off. Any suggestions?

I have only recently started thinking about deleting some of my unused original wiring that's still hot to help decrease the possibility of anything shorting out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

If you are caught with a dead battery somewhere (forgot to turn the master switch off?) you might appreciate having that APU plug functional. I would think most decent FBOs woudl have a tug or a start cart to get you on your way.