Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:19 pm 

Hi, sorry to ask this, but having poured over my copy of the parts catalogue for a couple of hours I can't find any reference to the bolts which attach the rear fuselage to the cockpit framework. There are four bolts top and four bolts bottom, the upper ones passing through a vertically orientated flange into a fitting on each longeron of the rear fuselage, while the lower ones pass vertically through the lower rear fuselage longeron and the rear part of the lower cockpit tubes. Having poured over the usually helpful parts catalogue, the only manual I have with me today, I've given up and am casting out for guidance from anyone who has done this before to confirm the bolts and parts required to install.

I'll be able to get to the erection manual next week, but I'd dearly love to get the parts ordered before then if possible.

If anyone has the details to hand and perhaps any photos of their installation that would be great to see.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:02 pm 

Checked the T-6G catalog and found nothing. I don't have a T-6D catalog so looked at my AT-6C catalog and found this. The AT-6C-5-NA is listed as the metal rear fuse assembly. The AT-6C-10-NA is for the wood rear fuse and I've lined those entries out. The same listing for the AT-6C-15-NA shows the same hardware for the metal rear fuse attachments.
Hope this is helpful.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:39 am 

That's perfect, thanks Norm. The parts catalogue is usually pretty reliable, but on this occasion.......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:06 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

chippie51 wrote:
That's perfect, thanks Norm. The parts catalogue is usually pretty reliable, but on this occasion.......

I typically use a HiShear depth gauge ruler. It has a hook and reads depth in 16th of an inch.
You measure the depth or thickness of each part and that will give you grip length of the bolt. Compare with the AN bolt listing then as you want the length of grip so you typically have a slight extra grip. You don't want threads in the bearing area in most cases.
In this they are all AN 5 bolts.
I have found that manuals are sometimes wrong and you also have repairs or modifications that have been accomplished that require something different. Its quite disappointing to have your hardware laying there and its late and your thinking "ahh- this is it. The final step" only to find your stuff isn't right.
Good luck

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!