Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Radium Instruments
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm 

EDITED 7/28
Just read the article "Radium Instruments" in the July NATA Skylines regarding US Customs checking for radium instruments, in this case in aircraft upon re-entering the country.

As we are doing static restorations on aircraft owned by the USAF via the NMUSAF, we follow their rules prohibiting the installation of instruments and other components with radium paint in any of their aircraft. I do find it ironic that the NMUSAF keeps radioactive instruments in the aircraft displayed at Dayton while prohibiting them in their aircraft on loan to other museums.
I assume there is an FAA AC covering this situation, but didn't come up with anything on a search. I've seen thousands of 1930's and 40's instruments pass through eBay and other websites, and assume some percentage end up in vintage aircraft. I'm guessing there are plenty of instrument repair companies that make non-radioactive replicas of older instruments, at a premium price I assume.

Just wondering how much this affects the T-6 community?

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage

Post subject: Re: Radium Instruments
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mustanger55 wrote:
EDITED 7/28
Just read the article "Radium Instruments" in the July NATA Skylines regarding US Customs checking for radium instruments, in this case in aircraft upon re-entering the country.

As we are doing static restorations on aircraft owned by the USAF via the NMUSAF, we follow their rules prohibiting the installation of instruments and other components with radium paint in any of their aircraft. I do find it ironic that the NMUSAF keeps radioactive instruments in the aircraft displayed at Dayton while prohibiting them in their aircraft on loan to other museums.
I assume there is an FAA AC covering this situation, but didn't come up with anything on a search. I've seen thousands of 1930's and 40's instruments pass through eBay and other websites, and assume some percentage end up in vintage aircraft. I'm guessing there are plenty of instrument repair companies that make non-radioactive replicas of older instruments, at a premium price I assume.

Just wondering how much this affects the T-6 community?

I'm unaware of specific rules from the FAA other than nebulas guidelines.
Had a FAA ASI quiz me and an owner recently-
"When you crash the last thing you want is a hazardous material cleanup" was his words.
Nice guy.
Radium energy doesn't pass through the skin. Issue is injesting by breathing dust or ? to get it into your body.
A whole lot of nothing in the big picture but typical Gov actions.
Anything that pings a Geiger-counter in their opinion is cause for massive action.
Never heard of massive Veteran losses in Pilots and Crew from the hundreds of hours they sat a couple feet away from dozens of these Instruments.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

Post subject: Re: Radium Instruments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 pm 

Just finished reading several articles about handling radium instruments, and have found the following information regarding Radium 226 components in the U.S.

Radium paint consists of Radium226, Phosphor and a binding agent. The radium excites the phosphor, making the paint glow. The fluorescent qualities of the phosphor usually wears out after 20 to 50 years. Radium paint that no longer glows is still radioactive. The half-life of radium226 is about 1,600 years. Radium paint was still in limited use through the 1980's, mostly in military applications.
The is no specific U.S. regulation forbidding the possession or use of radium aircraft instruments that are sealed in a private vehicle or a private collection. There is a limit of 100 units in a single facility or location without a special license/permit.

Any broken or unsealed radium instrument is considered a hazard and by law requires special handling, usually by a properly licensed instrument repair facility or hazmat operator. Disposal is only allowed at a licensed hazardous waste facility designated by the NRC.

Some sealed radium instruments may escape detection because the case and glass are sufficient to block alpha and beta particles, and gamma radiation is at or below background radioactivity levels. If these are opened, they could present a hazard.
Other sources of radium paint can be found on vintage panels and radio components, mostly lettering and dials. These are considered to be the same as a damaged or open instrument.
In general, Turn and Bank Indicators (Ball and Needle) have the most radium paint in them by volume.

For the most part, there isn't a cadre of federal agents looking to raid your hanger over a couple of vintage instruments. For the 99.9% of owners, there little or no concern of ever having a problem with the authorities.

How to get into trouble with radium instruments.
Keep more than 100 in a facility without a special permit/license. (A 'facility' can be a group of buildings near each other.)
Keep any radium instrument that is broken or disassembled`. (There are guidelines for storing these while awaiting proper disposal.)
Throw any radium instruments, parts or materials in the garbage or introduce into the sewer system. (Fines or worse.)
Import radium instruments from outside the US. (A good way to attract unwanted attention from Customs.)
Advertise that you have "tons" of vintage instruments for sale. (Authorities do scan social media.)

Safety Precautions
Store radium instruments in a secure area away from places frequented by visitors or workers. Exposure rates drop dramatically for Alpha and Beta particles with distance and obstructions. (A single page of typing paper will stop an Alpha particle.) Distance reduces Gamma ray exposure exponentially.
Place any broken instruments or disassembled components in a sealed, airtight container and store as above until you can arrange for approved disposal.
Use a Geiger counter to test suspect instruments, or place a dosimeter among instruments in storage and check regularly.
If handling suspected material, wear rubber gloves, goggles and a painter's particle mask. Disposable clothing, like a paper painters coverall, is a good idea. Dispose of these the same as for an open/broken instrument.
If you have more than fifty radium instruments, keep a record of them by description, part number and serial number and keep them secured. If you are ever questioned, showing you have accounting and control over those items goes a long way to satisfying the authorities you are taking necessary precautions.

Want to know more? Check this article.. http://www.aia.net/pressroom/radiumdialnews.html

Warbird owners, by nature, are collectors of lots of vintage and 'neat' parts and components, and some may be unaware of the implications of storing and handling of radioactive components. Just a little common sense and knowledge will help keep things safe, and out of trouble.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage