Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:37 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Prolific sim designer/converter A.F. Scrub in the past couple of weeks has uploaded a couple of new Corsairs for FSX and P3D up to v4, to the major sim download sites. The first one that he posted was of a standard blown-canopy F4U-1A, and I took a pass on it because I'm satisfied with my payware Milviz FG-1D. But, last week he posted a birdcage F4U-1/F4U-2, so I had to download it.

Scrub's Corsair is a conversion of an old Aeroplane Heaven product originally made for MS Flight Sim 2004. Visually, the quality is very much "dated payware" - better than most amateur efforts, but not as good as recent payware such as the Milviz. Flying-wise, I was impressed by the handling, and in particular how close it was to the Milviz. It probably doesn't have enough torque on takeoff, but it does punish inattention to airspeed on landing, just like the Milviz and as you would expect of a Corsair. The worst thing about it is the instrument panel, where Scrub has thrown together a collection of mismatched gauges in the wrong sizes and places. I spent a few hours redoing the panel to something like accurate Corsair layout.

Apart from the panel, Scrub's Corsair is better both visually and flight-wise than the third Corsair in my hangar, the Alpha Bleu Ciel F4U-4/7. Here are the three of them in a gathering I set up at the Sikorsky airport in CT.

Attachment:
2020-6-13_9-7-40-394b.jpg
2020-6-13_9-7-40-394b.jpg [ 172.26 KiB | Viewed 2439 times ]

One other problem with the airplane is that although an F4U-2 night fighter version is included, neither of the provided paint schemes are appropriate for it. As it happens, the model is such a straight copy of the old FS2004 Corsair that skins for the latter will fit it. Poking around on the internet, I found this oldie-but-goodie skin from 2007 by our own John Terrell of the Planes of Fame Corsair. It looks great on the plane, give or take a couple of little glitches like that cowl flap, which I'll track down and fix when I have time. Planes of Fame's Corsair was originally built as a birdcage model, so John's skin is not totally wrong for it. I think of it as a "what if" skin, like what if POF restored their Corsair back to birdcage configuration as they have contemplated doing on occasion. John, I'll bet you didn't figure this skin would have a 13+ year shelf life when you made it!

Attachment:
2020-6-14_15-41-32-711b.jpg
2020-6-14_15-41-32-711b.jpg [ 179.95 KiB | Viewed 2439 times ]

But there aren't that many aftermarket skins out there for the Aeroplane Heaven Corsair and I still haven't found one suitable for an F4U-2. I may have to make my own.

The Corsair above is posed with the POF P-38 (Milviz) and P-51 (A2A) outside POF's navy hangar in a replacement scenery for Chino Airport that is better than the FSX/P3d stock one, but still not good. I've never found a good accurate Chino airport scenery like the ones we can get for other warbird and vintage hot spots like Duxford, Fantasy of Flight, Old Warden, etc.

August