Switch to full style
Since people seem to think that the off-topic section is for political discussion, something that is frowned upon, I have temporarily closed the section. ANY political discussions in any other forum will be deleted and the user suspended. I have had it with the politically motivated comments.
Post a reply

Re: Citroen B14 of 1928 restoration

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 am

Any time a politician gets involved, they can make a bowl of soup and a sandwich an impossibility, and our government is rife with elected self appointed 'experts' who couldn't empty a full bucket without spilling on themselves.
Annual vehicle inspections are decided on by each state and some, like mine, have none except a semi annual 'Emissions sytems test' which is just a method for the state to extract $25 for 'environmental issues' and I've watched cars that smoke like a forest fire 'pass' these phony tests. I'm glad my city is well outside the 'smog check' zone.
Some states have pretty stringent annual vehicle checks tied to getting a new years license tab.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:54 am

Hello,

A day off on friday, so some progress made:

Foot step assembled and fitted.

Some parts coming back from the shop. Sure they already had good sheet metal workers in 1928. And we have a good one today to restore it. ;-)

The roof: need a bit of restoration : there are a few holes.

After removing the covering roofing, the damage are more visible.
After a few hours of cleaning

Regards, have a good day

Loïc

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:39 am

The roof bows look really good! Most American restorers/hot rodders pull off the canvas roof cover and find the wooden bows underneath are all dry rotted or so warped that they don't even make good patterns. Is the body shell of the car supported by metal bracing or wood? I see it's got Houlidale style friction shocks which are rebuildable.
Keep the photos coming! your work so far looks great :D

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 am

I like your workshop!

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:14 pm

In this restoration, we have a huge avantage: the car is in our familly since more of 40 years: so we know its exact state before starting working: so, at this point: no real bad surprise.

bdk: we are hosted by one of our relative: very beautifull and confortable workshop, we are luky.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Iclo wrote:In this restoration, we have a huge avantage: the car is in our familly since more of 40 years: so we know its exact state before starting working: so, at this point: no real bad surprise.

bdk: we are hosted by one of our relative: very beautifull and confortable workshop, we are luky.

No kidding! I only have a carport to work on my Thunderbird in, and I'm pretty restricted as to what I can do, might have to hunt up and rent a storage locker.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Cool Project, thanks for posting! :D

I wonder what it's history was during the war, how did it survive? Some young Oberlutentant would have killed for a set of wheels like that in occupied territory I'd bet.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Love to see how these old cars come back to there glory. It's history not forgotten.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:07 am

Thanks for the comments ;-) As there are people interested, I will try to keep this thread up to date.
But with the begin of the Spring, the restoration will slow down a bit, it's time to start sailing again on week-end for us.

Regards

Loïc

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:31 pm

pop1 pop1 pop1 pop1 Standing by for the next installment......... :wink:

Mon May 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello,

Next gauge for restoration : the oleometer, when the pressure reachs the normal level, the circle rotates and the white part become visible instead of the black ones.
The gauge is still operational and needs only a good cleaning and bit of paint.

The back of the car has hit a lot of things in his life: Removing old sheet of metal with too much damages to be restorable.

A bit of cleaning

And a new sheet of metal is put in place: as the structure of the car is made of wood, the sheet is simply nailed, no welding, etc, just a hammer and a bag of nails. this car is very accessible to restore.

And removing a few bumps in others part of the car.

A long, long way to go

Mon May 06, 2013 6:13 pm

The inner face of the body panel is in amazing shape and not badly rusted at all! Looks like the metal below the belt line is a lot of hammer and dolly work and some judiscious applications of dry ice too.
I love the creativity of the 100% mechanical oil pressure indiator!!!!!! :supz:

Keep it coming!!!!!!!!

Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 am

For the last pictures: we removed the inner cover to have access, and with a hammer and a few minutes of works we reached a good result. Replacing this part was not the best solution as it is all the waist of the car, from the back to the front doors.
No picture of the result: my camera's battery was "dead.

Regards

Tue May 07, 2013 9:16 am

Iclo wrote:For the last pictures: we removed the inner cover to have access, and with a hammer and a few minutes of works we reached a good result. Replacing this part was not the best solution as it is all the waist of the car, from the back to the front doors.
No picture of the result: my camera's battery was "dead.

Regards

Not a bad idea to leave something for the viewers imagination------ :wink:

Tue May 28, 2013 4:20 pm

I just needed 9 days to remember where my camera was... So just a few pics of the recent progress:

Still replacing sheet metal.

A overall view of the car:

In the coming weeks, we will replacing sheet metal cover of the two front doors and finishing the roof. We hope to send the car for painting in a few months.

Regards from Belgium
Post a reply