Switch to full style
Since people seem to think that the off-topic section is for political discussion, something that is frowned upon, I have temporarily closed the section. ANY political discussions in any other forum will be deleted and the user suspended. I have had it with the politically motivated comments.
Post a reply

Why did aviators wear their ties like this?

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Dad back in the day.
My question is, why did they wear their ties like this? I'm sure there's a simple explanation. I think "airborne" did this too.........John

Re: Why did aviators wear their ties like this?

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:57 pm

It's US Army regulation for wear of tie without a jacket. With a jacket it could be worn untucked

AR 600-40 (March 1940) para 39
39. Necktie.

a. The necktie will be worn when the service coat is worn and when the olive drab
wool or khaki shirt is worn without the coat except as indicated in b below.

b. Neckties will not be worn in the field or under simulated field conditions.

c. When the shirt is worn without the coat, the necktie will be tucked into the shirt between the first
and second visible buttons

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Well now, that was easy enough. Thank you for the reply Shrike.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:05 pm

No worries. There had to be a revision to specify which two buttons. Prior regs were a little vague.

I see wings and junior Warrant Officer (but not Flight Officer) rank with Officer's hat badge rather than the hated WO's hat badge.
The wings look to be straight pilot wings, I can't make out a S,G or L.

So, what's the story?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 am

John Danforth Bell Jr., Granite City, Illinois. I think this picture was at Freeman Field, Indianapolis. He graduated Advanced Flying School 44E Marfa Texas. Assigned to 374th Troop Carrier Group. 21st Troop Carrier Squadron. Biak, New Guinea. Co-pilot.
He flew C-47's and C-46's. They island hopped to Japan. Dad died on Thanksgiving Day, 2005, 82yo.

Mon May 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Tucking in the tie was also fashion of the time as people wore shirts/ties back then a LOT more than they do these days. Probably had a lot to do with not getting it caught in something.
shrike wrote:b. Neckties will not be worn in the field or under simulated field conditions.
I never knew that, someone should have told old, "Blood and Guts," that, which would have saved a lot of grief in Patton's commands!
Post a reply