Switch to full style
Since people seem to think that the off-topic section is for political discussion, something that is frowned upon, I have temporarily closed the section. ANY political discussions in any other forum will be deleted and the user suspended. I have had it with the politically motivated comments.
Post a reply

Photobucket -

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am

You have to be $hitting me. $40 a month to be able to post images on forums? I wonder how many thousands or millions of linked photos were disabled this morning. I started moving to Imgur about a year ago anyway, time to close the Photobucket account!

Re: Photobucket -

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 am

I think they just killed themselves.... As it is it's been a pain in the ass for awhile. If you find a suitable replacement let me know.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:59 am

I do think and hope they killed themselves. I've been starting to use Imgur for a while now and have been happy so far. It's faster, more stable, and no invasive ads, videos and popups.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:27 am

Same here: transferred all my images to Flickr and PB can go pleasure themselves.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:18 pm

I guess you can only give out freebies for so long. The ads alone must not be paying enough of the bills. I've forgotten the other hosting service that did this same thing a few years back. We'll see if those newer hosting services go the same way. They seem to have a life cycle.

I used to have NetZero when they were free too! ;-)

Best off subscribing to the WIX and Scott will host the photos, though they are size limited.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm looking into other options at the moment, including a better way of handling it natively. Unfortunately I have several technical limitations to contend with.

BDK is right, ad revenue is dropping across the internet. But I think PB should have been a little less draconian and greedy. I think $4.99 or even $9.99 would have been a better choice. $40/month of $399 is insane in a world where nobody wants to pay anything. PB has killed themselves. They just don't know it yet.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:I'm looking into other options at the moment, including a better way of handling it natively. Unfortunately I have several technical limitations to contend with.

BDK is right, ad revenue is dropping across the internet. But I think PB should have been a little less draconian and greedy. I think $4.99 or even $9.99 would have been a better choice. $40/month of $399 is insane in a world where nobody wants to pay anything. PB has killed themselves. They just don't know it yet.

Bingo. They jumped the shark. A lot of their subscribers would hang on at $4.99/month, and their AD revenue would go forward. Now, people are flocking away - they are not getting AD revenue and they are not getting the $4.99 either. If they had gone at this incrementally, they could have gone from $0 to $4.99 to $7.50 to $10.00 to $$$ over the years and slowly acclimated their customers to a pay for use service. Ultimately, they could have made a lot of money.

Oops.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:42 am

Kyleb wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:I'm looking into other options at the moment, including a better way of handling it natively. Unfortunately I have several technical limitations to contend with.

Bingo. They jumped the shark. A lot of their subscribers would hang on at $4.99/month, and their AD revenue would go forward. Now, people are flocking away - they are not getting AD revenue and they are not getting the $4.99 either. If they had gone at this incrementally, they could have gone from $0 to $4.99 to $7.50 to $10.00 to $$$ over the years and slowly acclimated their customers to a pay for use service. Ultimately, they could have made a lot of money.

Oops.

Yup, the fact that you can get your own server space for the $5 range means that very few people will stay. I foresee that the near future will bring a change in this pricing structure or some other hosting service that takes advantage and offers a reasonable plan. Photobucket is going to take a huge hit for this.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:03 pm

I actually did pay for their premium service several years ago and it was affordable. They would allow only so much bandwith for free and then you'd be disabled, I believe until the end of that month, unless you upgraded your account. I had no problem way paying the smallish subscription fee back then but they went with unlimited bandwith when the amount of ads went ridiculous. I may have considered $5 a month or something similar now. I can't believe that they think they can go from free to $40 a month and keep anybody.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:12 am

I think Scott is right, opportunity is knocking! If you can get your own server space for $5/month, why pay more? Is there a "cloud" photo service already that might be a substitute? I pay .99/month for a small cloud account now.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:07 am

I'm just switching to imgur, which doesn't charge for 3rd party linking and isn't constantly trying to get you to buy prints of your "photographs" every time you turn around.

BTW, I was paying ~$5 for a "premium" account and had been for a couple years now and that gave me plenty of storage and was supposed to give me 3rd party linking hosting, but I guess that's gone now. I'll just use imgur or my GoDaddy cloud space from now on I guess.

Photobucket seems to have gone nuts.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Hello everyone, I just noticed Photobucket seems to have gone nuts, the photos in "Topics" Grumman, the people that made the planes 12 SEPT 2010, have all disappeared. Photobucket decided to charge $399.99 per year for third party hosting and are holding the photos ransom, so my question is where are you folks hosting your photos?? Thanks a lot for any help.

Re: Photobucket seems to have gone nuts.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 pm

I moved all of mine to Flicker

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 pm

I use Smugmug and pay about $50.00/year.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 pm

One of my hunting sites has the same issue.
Post a reply