Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Starting Fresh
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:50 pm 
Queen Of The World

It feels like both an eternity and just yesterday that I was on WIX for hours every day.

I am back and looking for help/advice/thoughts/general musings ... Here is my story in an abbreviated fashion.

I started flying back in 2006. Flying is the only thing I have ever dreamed about doing professionally but it always seemed unattainable. After going through a divorce that year I decided it was high time that I do something for myself and started flying. As it so often does, life happened, money ran short and after 49.6 hours I stopped flying. Twelve years later I find myself still dying to fly and kicking myself for not being more proactive. The dream of aviation is still the thing I long for.

I met with the chief pilot at a local FBO today who did an audit on my log book. It appears I am a lot closer to finishing that I thought - maybe 6 hours of actual detail work to complete but closer to 12-15 to get comfortable again and pick back up some of those skills that are rusty.

I am not sure as of right now what the long term goal would be. I have a family and so killing myself to get my ATP doesn't seem practical right now. Maybe CFI and teaching? Who knows.

Anyway, who out here has been through anything similar? I know the industry is going through major changes and growth and that the opportunities are incredible. The financial aspect is scaring the pants off me. I have enough to finish my PPL but then after that - yikes.

Just hoping to reconnect with WIX friends after a long (very long) break and get my head back in the aviation game.

Post subject: Re: Starting Fresh
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:53 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Welcome back Steph!
Nice to see you on the forums again!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Welcome back Stephanie... :)

It does look like a good time to get into aviation, especially for females.
Is there a local EAA or 99 group you could join ?

Good luck,
Phil

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am 

Welcome back Steph! :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes indeed there is a way to get right back into it and a way to finish your flight training and beyond. If you still have a passion for flying, you already have your ticket to get it done. Just remember getting your PPL is not the goal, it's the beginning of a way of life. Too much to type here. Send me a PM anytime. I may not post as much on WIX as before but I still check PM's.

Mark