Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:49 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

From; The Daily Advertiser - Lafayette, LA

Acadiana Diary: 'Who's Who' passed through Fournet hangars here
Jim Bradshaw

It was a particularly busy day during the heyday of the oil industry here, when the Lafayette airport was always kept busy by the comings and goings of corporate aircraft.

When yet another one taxied in to park in front of the general aviation hangar next to the main terminal, a man in a wheelchair rolled out onto the apron, hand-signalled the pilot into a parking place, and - after the engines were cut - took a chock from his lap, rolled his chair up to the plane, and slipped the wedge beneath a tire.

The corporate bigwigs who emerged from the plane had not flown to Lafayette before, but they were impressed.
"You know," one said to the other, "that Paul Fournet must be one heckuva guy to hire a handicapped man for a job like that."

Paul loved to tell that story.

He, of course, was the man in the wheelchair and the man who didn't let his "handicap" get in the way of working to make Lafayette one of the busiest general aviation destinations in the country.

He was only 27 years old and a veteran P-38 pilot in 1950 when the Stinson L-5 he was piloting crashed at the north end of the Lafayette airport. He received back injuries that paralyzed his legs, but not his drive, ambition, good humor, business sense or civic spirit.

An aviation community around the world - including astronauts, an Air Force One pilot, military and commercial aviators and hundreds of others who just flew for fun or business - told "Paul Stories" at his death in 1992. And this month they are further mourning the closing of the place where many of them learned to fly or loved to fly to.

You could fill a pretty good Who's Who with the names of people who passed through the doors of Paul Fournet Air Service - practically everybody who was anybody who came here by private aircraft.

There were presidents and president wannabes (Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2, Clinton), foreign dignitaries such as Giscard d'Estaing, a long line of entertainment names you would know, hundreds and hundreds from corporate board rooms.

They learned about bourre and boudin and heard a lot of aviation stories in the Paul Fournet Hangar. (What's the difference between an old fisherman and an old aviator? The height from which they spin tall tales.)

The place became an institution, beginning from the early days when the hangar stored more hay harvested from airport property than it did airplanes (and later housed Plymouths from Lafayette Motors and Buicks from Evangeline Motors), until those busy times when folks flew out of their way to sample Acadian hospitality a la Fournet.

The air service was one of those institutions run by that generation of World War II veterans who came home to build families and businesses and to contribute to their community in ways that seldom happens any more. That's part of why it will be missed, but it will be missed mainly because it was the place that kept alive the memory of that "heckuva guy" in the wheelchair.
================================================
I hate to hear another aviation landmark business is going to be a thing of the past. If you were around aviation in that part of the country, are old enough to have & never met Paul Fournet, you missed out. Paul was one person that I am proud to say I knew. He was a very generous man with a true love for aviation. The Cajun Wing of The Confederate Air Force was based at his FBO, & that is where we kept N62G, the CAF B-23 in it's flying days. As noted in the story, Paul was a former P-38 pilot, with service in WWII, flying photo-recon missions. The original "Scatter Brain Kid" P-38 was the pride of Paul, & Revis Sermon. Unfortunatly, it was lost in an accident there at the Lafayette airport along with the life of a friend of theirs. Paul was kind enough to donate space, services, & a meeting place for the Cajun Wing back then. His door was always open, & for a young A&P just getting started, I can say that just being around the man made you love airplanes. I know this all sounds kind of mushy, but when I heard this news, I just wanted to say what a shame another legacy FBO is going to be history. I know Mr Paul has been gone a long time, but he will forever be flying that big photo-recon mission keeping an eye on us Warbird addicts.
Regards
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:09 am 

I sure hate to hear this.

I met "Chief" in the mid 80's when I did an engine change on the CAF's FG-1D (64Z?), in the back hangar, along with Gary Hudson. We'd borrow a crew car to go down the highway to get crawfish and crabs to satisify our appetites. Paul had the gas gauges disconnected on the crew cars, so everyone bought gas so that they wouldn't run out, smart move!

I don't think that I've seen as many float planes as I did during the hey day in Acadiana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I would like to hear any more "Chief" stories that you all my have about Paul Fournet, or the old Cajun Wing of the CAF. :D Thanks
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:16 pm 

My Dad and Paul were long time friends.
Back in the 50s and early 60s everytime the oldman was anywhere near Lafayette he would find a reason to land there just to have a bull session with Paul and whoever else was hanging around. (and of course buy a little gas, Paul had to eat too)
I met him as a kid and later landed there a few times in a friends Bonanza and Travel Air.
There was always something interesting parked on the ramp or stuck in one of the hangars.
It's a damned shame, the way we keep losing these places. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm 

It's sad to say but we keep loosing them because the kids are not interrested much in anything aviation these days, it seems... :cry:

It is getting so hard for anyone just to get close to aircraft nowadays, with all those so called 'security' measures...

It sickens me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54 pm 

[quote= with all those so called 'security' measures..[/quote]

Amen Brother, Amen.
Yet despite the "increased security" the theft of light airplanes and avionics continues, some security.
The last time I went out to Lakefront Airport in New Orleans and tried to take pictures I was threatened with arrest if I didn't cease immeadiately.
And this was at an FBO I had worked for !
At times I really think the FAA doesn't want young people learning to fly, they want to get rid of all aviation except Military and Airline traffic.
It would make their job so much easier if all these "little airplanes" weren't around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was "threatened" with Arrest when I wanted to take a photograph of the B-29 "on public display" at Dobbins AFB, Georgia.
On a side note, I have been to several airshows (yes, I have) and have always appreciated the crews that let me get close up to their Warbird. For me, I just gotta touch them, slide the prop under my hand, and feel the aluminum skin....and remember, remember the sacrifices made before my time, and I am humbled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:36 pm 

Robbie

I sent your post as an email to a friend in Stockbridge GA. He will soon be 84 and fly's his Stearman regularly. If you would like to get together or in touch with him P.M. me?

Steve

Steve, thanks for the Paul Fournet write up. Quite a guy he was. We were class mates (with Joe Gardner) for many years. We also Crop dusted together for a year or so before he had the Stinson crash..I was on the field that day when it happened. His WW ll service was in the Pacific flying P 38 on strict Photo Missions. No guns on board except the Colt .45 in his shoulder holster. His plane was light and super fast. There were not many pictures that he took on missions that he did not have copies of and brought those home with him after war was over. Many hours were passed in looking over the photo's while he explained little anecdotes about each. Quite a guy.
Thanks, ..........jim st.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Lafayette Regional Airport renamed to honor Paul Fournet.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news ... /70110730/

I think "Chief" would be proud.

Robbie 8)