Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Spitfire Flying
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:14 pm 
Probationary Member

I flew the Spitfire this afternoon at Longmont for a half hour, a couple of rolls and managed a good landing if not quite 3 point. Nice to be back behind a Merlin and the plane is ready for airshow season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:54 am 

Great to hear! I'm not the slightest bit jealous though, wouldn't want you to think that any of us were :lol: Thank you for keeping such a beautiful piece of machinery flying!

Just out of curiosity, do you ever make it up to any Canadian Air Shows? I'm afraid I have no idea what general geographic area you're located in, so if that was a silly question, I'm sorry! I'd love to see your spit in person some day!

Post subject: Ca.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:22 pm 
Probationary Member

Greg, thanks. I live in Aspen, Co. and fly there as well as around the Boulder Denver, Ft. Collins area. I'd like to get to Canada more. Could you guys move it a little closer? Heck, we have to go all the way through Yankee land to get to you now, and that's tough on a Texas boy. Years ago, I came to a big show at Abbotsford, B. C. Then 2 years ago, I was invited to go to Niagara to fly a Spitfire, along with a Me109 and a Hurricane to the TOM airshow at Willow Run Detroit. Sure took me a long time to decide if I was interested in that one, about 2 milliseconds!
I'd love to do so it again. I read there is a Mk XIV sitting that needs flying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:27 pm 

I'll see what I can do about getting Canada moved a little further south! If you ever find yourself in the Hamilton/Niagara/Toronto area let me know, drinks are on me, but it will cost you some conversation about Spitfire flying! Also I'll see what I can do about getting a few more Spit's up here for you to come fly.

Post subject: Congrats Bill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:05 pm 

Great work Bill and well done to you and all your crew.Hope you enjoy the girl for many more seasons..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:00 pm 

I'm moving to back to Colorado in August to go to Colorado State Univ. in Ft. Collins, so I'd love to see your Spitfire, hope I'll be able to get a job flight instructing near the Ft. How did you get to be able to fly the Spit, Hurricane, and 109? I'm an aspiring Warbird pilot myself, and would like to hear from some one who's done that. How did you get checked out in them? If I have the cash, I'd like to go up to Canada and get a type rating on the PBY Cat. Thanks,

Post subject: Co.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:52 pm 
Probationary Member

Guy, I flew the Spitfire in Canada, the Me 109 and the Hurricane were on the wing flown by John Romain and Rob Gillman.
Great that you are coming to Ft. Collins. The shop that has maintained my plane for 24 years is at the Ft. Collins Downtown airport, QG Aviation. They have done a number of ist class warbird restorations. Unfortunately, last year a developer from Denver bought out the airport and closed the runway. So the 2 flight schools, one of the 3 repair shops and the FBO moved, most down to Loveland, FNL. For 40 years that was a great little airport but greed never sleeps. It is still a nice town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great ! Hope the flight was free of any write-ups.