Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:19 pm 

:shock: :ouch: and before i run away and hide from them.... :butthead:

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ours ran away from us cuz he would never sell us anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry, but I LOVE Snap-On stuff. But not Blue Point, their "lesser" brand: Snap-On is supposed to be Made in USA- Blue Point is Made in CHINA. Wasn't happy to find a bunch of it in a package deal I got... They have a great student program- almost 50% off retail for students, up to $7G in retail prices plus a box. Took that deal while I could...

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:35 pm 

Sorry gang Im an outsider.......Automotive Technician here. Just had to put in my 2 cents about Snap On. LOVE EM! I dont care how much they cost they are the BEST (imho). The one tool that stands out in my mind as my favorite is my 3/8" drive ratchet. Ive had that sucker for 15 years now and its been through everything. Never skipped a beat...I mean tooth.

I do tend to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach when the truck comes on Tuesday though. You know "well I already owe them this, but if I dont pay this and re finance that.....I think I can afford that toolbox". :roll:

BTW: Got a ton of respect for you guys. If I screw up, they can pull over. The sky has no shoulders!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:00 pm 

90% of my box is snap-on, the other 10% is craftsman.

I love the look, quality and feel of my snap-on tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I haven't been in a Snap-On truck in fifteen years and seem to get my work done regardless. Yes, their stuff is great, but there are alternatives (with warranties) that work just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:56 am 

I use Snap-on for most of my tools, some craftsman, and some matco. I got my snap-on while i was a student and they gave me an excellent deal so I wasn't about to complain. I prefer the feel of the snap-on tools over the craftsman tools though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT was tooo funny.

I'm gonna paste that pic all over a few shops.

$nap-on tools break and wear out just like any other quality manufacturer. Getting them exchanged under warranty has been next to impossible with one particular dealer. He simply refused. We called $nap-on's complaint number but never got any result. That dealer eventually stopped coming around, and no other dealer could work his territory, so a large number of mechanics started buying other brand tools.

We found a number of other manufacturer's that make similar quality for substantially less cost, and without the arrogant attitude.

Don't miss the STRAP-ON guy at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:31 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Other than the screw drivers I don't buy them... Their good as gold warenty is only 90 days and like the previous poster noted warenty repairs take forever if they do them.. There are better tools than snap -on that are cheaper.. Personally I like S-k.. More teeth on the racthets and they operate like a swiss watch.. I also have Ingersol rand air tools and Vidmar Tool boxs that are much more durable than Snap-on brand..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am 

I've got Matco wrenches in my box that have rust pitting after 7 years. I also have Strap-On's that went thru a hangar fire, have turned blue, and they still are working great. There are no Sears stores convientient to me, so all I have is a smattering of Craftsmans around, but they just don't fit my hand like a Strap-On does.

I have a Blue Point 9" safety wire plier that I bought new in 1974, and it still works as well as it ever has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:37 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

[quote="skymstr02"]I've got Matco wrenches in my box that have rust pitting after 7 years. I also have Strap-On's that went thru a hangar fire, have turned blue, and they still are working great. There are no Sears stores convientient to me, so all I have is a smattering of Craftsmans around, but they just don't fit my hand like a Strap-On does.

I have a Blue Point 9" safety wire plier that I bought new in 1974, and it still works as well as it ever has.[/quote]

Those blue point safty wire plyers are made by milbar for blue point but are 50.00 higher than buying them from milbar.. I sent a pair to a boy in Iraq and called milbar and they verified they made them for snap-on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Robbie Roberts wrote:
Sorry, but I LOVE Snap-On stuff. But not Blue Point, their "lesser" brand: Snap-On is supposed to be Made in USA- Blue Point is Made in CHINA. Wasn't happy to find a bunch of it in a package deal I got... They have a great student program- almost 50% off retail for students, up to $7G in retail prices plus a box. Took that deal while I could...
Robbie

I'd advise you to stay out of Costco then. I was there last week & saw Chinese made Snap-On flashlights being sold..

& *some* BluePoint is superior to Strap-On stuff.

At VanNuys airport the Strap-On guy didn't pay the factory so his van was almost empty as they stopped sending him stuff. First time I stepped foot aboard I thought he'd been robbed.
The Mac truck that does the VanNuys airport route is loaded down with so much stuff that you can barely get thru the door. He ALWAYS has what ya need (or want..)

When I lived in the UK I picked up a Strap-On grinder (240V/13a) that was wired so the screws holding the case together were live. That sucked threw me about 20ft across the shop. That was the last Strap-On power tool I ever bought (about 25 years ago)

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:02 pm 

Mac offset wrenches for plumbing and landing gear on the F-16 is the only way to go, unless you want to grind down those snap-ons. But I do LOVE the snap-on wratchet screw drivers with the interchangable shafts. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:40 pm 

i love snap-on but i like to use craftsmen tools for my "special" projects like when i can't get into a certain area i feel no shame taking a craftsmen wrench to the grinder or bending it to a 90 degree angle.