Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:26 am 

I am working on a restoration of an A-26, and many cables need layers of dirt and dust cleaned from them for inspection and then I been told they should be lightly lubed after being cleaned.

I am looking for help on what product to use to clean the cables and then what to due for lube coating on them.

We have many small cables in tight areas for the engine and other controls as well as larger flight control cables to clean and any help would be accepted for what to use.

Kurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Check a copy of (FAA Manuals) AC 43.13-1b, Acceptable Procedures and Techniques, and also the Airframe Manual, AC-65-15A. One or the other should have a good procedure for the task...

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Kurt,

I use an aerosol cable lubricant as a cleaning solution. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company, but I will get it for you. This is considered as a final lubricant for aircraft cables, but I have found that it also works well to remove layers of gunk without drying out the inside of the cable. It takes time to loosen stubborn old grease and gunk, but doesn't remove any inner lube that still remains in the cable. After cleaning, you can use the final lubricant called out in the maintenance manual to finish.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:22 pm 

The standard cable lube/preservative is Par-al-keton, it remains flexible and self-heals, wipe it on thin.

Tom-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:36 pm 

It has been sometime since I did the cables on our B17restoration but I believe we used one of the LPS formulations in and aersol can. I'm not sure if Peralketone (sp?) is still around.

One other thing as an earlier poster mentioned...be sure to reference AC41.13.1b. Run a rag over a cleaned cable to detect wire picks to find broken cables. It is important to do this with cable disassembled from the aircraft and take the loose ends to form a horseshoe shape at the radius approximating the smallest pulley diameter. do this along the entire length of the cable. This will allow you to find weak/broken wire inside the wire bundle that might not otherwise be found. We discovered a substantial problem with portions of the B17 rudder cable by this method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ketone.php