Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been on as much lately, several projects have been taking my time away from the site, but with the weather going south and Winter looming I should be able to direct more time to the site. We have several internal projects in the works including:

Server move - We have found a potential host and will be working on getting the host set up to handle us and hopefully we will be able to do a switch over well before the end of the year. One thing I am looking into is changing the software we use to something a little more flexible and capable, but that will depend on the ability to port the databases over to the new software. We have received generous donations that will allow us to run the new server for the next 10 months or so. Thanks to all those who donated! I am working on a thank you for you. Also, we're up to 10 subscribers. They will help make sure things continue to grow. If you haven't subscribed then please consider it, it's not much and it will help us grow and continue to expand our services.

WIXcast - Yes the podcast is in the works once again. The hiatus was the result of several personal issues combined with our Assistant editor and co-host Ryan Keough moving across the country. We will be working on the next episode and hopefully we will have it up soon.

warbirdwiki - I am putting together the information to start a wikipedia like project on the new server. It will focus initially on WWII warbirds but will expand to cover other eras as time goes on. Once I get it set up I will be looking for content editors so keep that in the back of your head if you are interested.

Warbirds.TV - This will be a video blog devoted entirely to aviation videos, mainly those on youtube and elsewhere but also some original content.

Vintage Registry - along with warbirdwiki we will be looking into developing a wiki based Vintage registry. This will allow a select group of editors develop and maintain a Warbird Registry like site focused on pre 1950ish aircraft.

Orbital Fire Control - Something a little different. OFC will be a podcast devoted to Military Speculative Fiction, with discussions and reviews of books and videos of a MilSpecFic nature. It will also be home to some original fiction by myself and other contributors. It's not warbirds but when it goes live, check it out, you might like it.

Well, thats about it for now. I just wanted to let you what we are planning and working on. Thanks for all your support.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:33 am 

What is the process to donate a little $$ to help this great site running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

John Cotter wrote:
What is the process to donate a little $$ to help this great site running?

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:52 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Server status: Tested out a new server host but that proved to be an epic failure. So the hunt resumes for a capable host that can handle WIX's traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sounds good Scott thanks. I am still having trouble at times getting on the site though. Its slow to bring up the forum at times. I am guessing this is due to too many people on the forum at once?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:55 pm 

When we change to a new server, is there any prospect of being able to post photos directly without having to use a 3rd-party host, such as Photobucket or Flickr?

Walt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:34 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

nathan wrote:
Sounds good Scott thanks. I am still having trouble at times getting on the site though. Its slow to bring up the forum at times. I am guessing this is due to too many people on the forum at once?

Yup, thats pretty much the issue, the current host does not have the capacity to handle the pressure we put on it, hence looking for a new host. It's been difficult so far to find one that is capable and reasonable in price.

RareBear wrote:
When we change to a new server, is there any prospect of being able to post photos directly without having to use a 3rd-party host, such as Photobucket or Flickr?

Walt

It is a consideration, I am looking at a the same software flypast uses (comments on that software are welcome here, love it or hate it let me know)
The main consideration for allowing hosted pictures is bandwith and storage space. Due to some generous donations we now have enough funds to look into upgrading the server but deciding if we can afford the hosted pictures option remains to be seen.

How would people feel if being able to directly upload pictures was a benefit you get for subscribing? This might off set the additional bandwith costs. Let me know your feelings on this.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:26 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
How would people feel if being able to directly upload pictures was a benefit you get for subscribing? This might off set the additional bandwith costs. Let me know your feelings on this.
[/quote]I like the idea of paying to play. Very (modern) libertarian... The ultimate in fairness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 pm 

I participate in another board and they use vBulletin. It is user friendly and will host pix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Agreed on Vbulletin. Sent you a pm Scott.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!