Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Gettin involved?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm 

As with every one here, I have a passion for warbirds. I would like to know what I can do to get involved in a restoration. I one day want to not only restore one, but to be able to fly 'em as well. I'm working towards my instrument/commercial and should be done in the next few months, if I have the cash. I even worked for a few months as an A&P apprentice, so all I'm good at is changing oil on engines, and looking up parts.
How do I get involved? With the actual restoration, as well as being a pilot? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I did it by hanging around the local airports where there were warbirds. Cleaning parts, painting, helping the mechanics, drink a few beers with them after work etc. If there's a local flying museum nearby, go volunteer to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Where are you located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 pm 

I live in New Jersey. About an hour NW of Phily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:58 pm 

One place is to check the CAF website for units located near you. Most groups will accept a person to help even if all you do is clean and wipe, there is always room for help in a restoration project. You may end up paying a small joining fee to become a member.

Have fun and learn a lot. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:59 pm 

Where do you live?????????? An "hour NW of Philly" sounds more like PA than NJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:00 pm 

I meant NE of Phily. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:36 pm 

Jonas check this thread out. http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pig-Boat-Cat-Guy,

I think what would work very nicely for you is if you could walk into a local CAF Wing or Squadron with some basic skills under your belt. Nothing major, but I think most groups would readily welcome someone who already was comfortable with bucking rivets or maybe fabric work.

An EXCELLENT starting point for learning some hands-on skills would be your local EAA chapter. Most of the homebuilders with these groups will bend over backwards to teach you these kinds of skills.

Here's your starting point.

http://www.eaa.org/chapters/locator/

Happy hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 pm 

PbyCat-Guy wrote:
I live in New Jersey. About an hour NW of Phily.

Umm...We're not too far away... Where are you... Monroe Township?

Kevin

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I used to just show up at the airport and just wander around, helping whoever needed help. That's how I started. I volunteered hundreds of hours on other folks' personal projects just to learn.

It's a lot tougher to get on airports now, but even so I can't seem to find many volunteers looking to get in on the action. I must not have much of a "magnetic personality." I suppose once my plane is flying they'll all suddenly appear... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:10 am 

BDK wrote:
Quote:
I suppose once my plane is flying they'll all suddenly appear...

Such is the nature of the beast my friend. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:09 pm 

My buddy who's working on his A&P joined our local CAF wing in hopes of getting to work on the wonderful collection of birds they have. Once he was introduced to the other members he tried quite a few times to lend a hand with several of the projects.

He was usually met with a less than warm reception from the guys working on the various projects and felt lucky to be handed a rag to rub down a bird here and there. It seemed like nobody wanted to share their "glory" of the project with my friend, even though he is quite capable.

Now we're not talking about a kid, but rather an adult US Navy veteran and graduate of the first EAA Young Eagles Academy who was hoping to merge his experience at CAF with his A&P studies.

After shelling out at least $250-$300 to join the wing, and spending lots of gas money to drive the 40+ miles to the airport where the wing has their hangar, he finally got discouraged and decided not to return. It seemed to him that CAF was always willing to hit him up for more $$$, but when he tried to help, he felt pretty unwanted.

Too bad, because I was looking forward to also joining the wing which has a few of the planes my grandfathers (yes both) flew in WWII and subsequent training for Korea era jets. After his experience, I'm thinking my $$$ and willingness to help might be better used elsewhere.

I truly hope this is an isolated case, but just in case I looked into the Chino Air Museum which has a much larger flying fleet. I think it was only $40-$50/yr to join and the guys I talked to seemed like they were much more willing to let people get involved with any of their planes, especially if they know you have a sentimental connection to them. If it wasn't for the 60 mile one way trip, I'd be all over it!

Like I said, I hope my friend's case is unique because I think the idea behind CAF and similar groups keeping our history making aircraft in the air where they belong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

If you live that close to philly there is always Jim Beasleys hanger! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

HellcatAce wrote:
My buddy who's working on his A&P joined our local CAF wing in hopes of getting to work on the wonderful collection of birds they have. Once he was introduced to the other members he tried quite a few times to lend a hand with several of the projects.

He was usually met with a less than warm reception from the guys working on the various projects and felt lucky to be handed a rag to rub down a bird here and there. It seemed like nobody wanted to share their "glory" of the project with my friend, even though he is quite capable.

Now we're not talking about a kid, but rather an adult US Navy veteran and graduate of the first EAA Young Eagles Academy who was hoping to merge his experience at CAF with his A&P studies.

After shelling out at least $250-$300 to join the wing, and spending lots of gas money to drive the 40+ miles to the airport where the wing has their hangar, he finally got discouraged and decided not to return. It seemed to him that CAF was always willing to hit him up for more $$$, but when he tried to help, he felt pretty unwanted.

Too bad, because I was looking forward to also joining the wing which has a few of the planes my grandfathers (yes both) flew in WWII and subsequent training for Korea era jets. After his experience, I'm thinking my $$$ and willingness to help might be better used elsewhere.

I truly hope this is an isolated case, but just in case I looked into the Chino Air Museum which has a much larger flying fleet. I think it was only $40-$50/yr to join and the guys I talked to seemed like they were much more willing to let people get involved with any of their planes, especially if they know you have a sentimental connection to them. If it wasn't for the 60 mile one way trip, I'd be all over it!

Like I said, I hope my friend's case is unique because I think the idea behind CAF and similar groups keeping our history making aircraft in the air where they belong.

Sadly, up until a few years ago, this was an all-too-common thing in the CAF. Some have been working hard change that image and get those people to understand that it's not the right way to go about things, but it's a fine line that must be walked. We lost many good members because the CAF became a "Good 'Ole Boys" club instead of a heritage organization like we were intended. With the last few General Staffs, our new President and HQ staff, and a new generation of Wing Leaders coming in, I think if your friend goes back, he'll find that things have changed.