Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have volunteered to re-install the original radio stack into the B-24A "Ol' 927" behind the co-pilot's seat. I would like to get some assistance and suggestions from those who know about these radios on where to go from here. I want them to all be at least cosmetically complete but I also want make them operational where possible.

Here are the radios -

No part of the stack (as far as I'm aware) but I'm going to get it re-wired and prepped anyway -

Issues -
1) The BC-221T is non-operational due to lack of all of the vacuum tubes and a large portion of the wiring. I'm also missing several covering panels and obviously also missing the power switch and the headphone & mic jacks. I am going to get with the Squadron MX Officer to see about wiring up the jacks on the left side with a modern pair and modern wiring to make an additional intercom plug-in, but I need to know what the appropriate power switch is for this radio and if someone has it, please PM me. Also, if anyone is willing to donate a manual on this or any manual to help me, please let me know. If I get a manual, it might make full restoration of these radios possible.

2) The BC-348-J is complete and most likely operational as all of the tubes and mechanics appear to have no defects. However, there is that hole in the upper right corner. Anyone know what is is? I also have my doubts that the switch under the mic connection is correct as the R4D's BC-348-O has a standard 2-wire mic & headset jack pair in that position.

3) The BC-450-A is NOS, so it needs no work, but I need education on what it is and its purpose. :)

4) The signal box has all of the wires cut so will need to be rewired, but I need to know what gauge of wire is appropriate for this application for me to rewire it. The box is complete, all components appear to be in good working condition, and the bakelite is in pretty good shape, so I think a surface cleaning of the interior will be more than enough. I would like to "rehabilitate" the lettering however if possible, so what is the appropriate paint to do that with? I will probably put a coat of black paint on the box face if the blemishes don't come out on their own as well, so it would be more reason to re-do the pain - that is unless someone has a replacement face or box that is in NOS or near NOS condition that they'd like to donate. :)

Again if anyone has manuals for any of these units, please let me know. I accept donations or can talk about acquisition if needed. I'm running on a budged of $0 after-all. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:54 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:

Issues -
1) The BC-221T is non-operational due to lack of all of the vacuum tubes and a large portion of the wiring. I'm also missing several covering panels and obviously also missing the power switch and the headphone & mic jacks. I am going to get with the Squadron MX Officer to see about wiring up the jacks on the left side with a modern pair and modern wiring to make an additional intercom plug-in, but I need to know what the appropriate power switch is for this radio and if someone has it, please PM me. Also, if anyone is willing to donate a manual on this or any manual to help me, please let me know. If I get a manual, it might make full restoration of these radios possible.

The BC-221 is a frequency meter for calibrating the radios. It is usually fitted in its own portable box, with the calibration charts inside the lid.

More info at http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/bc221.html.

Quote:
2) The BC-348-J is complete and most likely operational as all of the tubes and mechanics appear to have no defects. However, there is that hole in the upper right corner. Anyone know what is is? I also have my doubts that the switch under the mic connection is correct as the R4D's BC-348-O has a standard 2-wire mic & headset jack pair in that position.

The hole in the upper right is non-factory and shouldn't be there. Most likely a Ham modification.
The switch at the lower left is also non-standard, that should be the lower of two jackplug sockets with spring-loaded covers.

Quote:
3) The BC-450-A is NOS, so it needs no work, but I need education on what it is and its purpose. :)

The BC-450 is the remote control unit for three reciever units as part of the ARC-5 Command Radio system.

Quote:
4) The signal box has all of the wires cut so will need to be rewired, but I need to know what gauge of wire is appropriate for this application for me to rewire it. The box is complete, all components appear to be in good working condition, and the bakelite is in pretty good shape, so I think a surface cleaning of the interior will be more than enough. I would like to "rehabilitate" the lettering however if possible, so what is the appropriate paint to do that with? I will probably put a coat of black paint on the box face if the blemishes don't come out on their own as well, so it would be more reason to re-do the pain - that is unless someone has a replacement face or box that is in NOS or near NOS condition that they'd like to donate. :)

Again if anyone has manuals for any of these units, please let me know. I accept donations or can talk about acquisition if needed. I'm running on a budged of $0 after-all. :)

There are free downloadable manuals for the ARC-5 system online:
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/military-kg7bz/arc5/ is one source.

Other info on the setup can be found by googling for the seperate components by number:
http://www.jproc.ca/ve3fab/b24rfit.html deals with the B-24D installed components.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARC-5 gives a good listing of the different component units that made up the various ARC-5 systems.

I'll see if I can find you anything on the lights box.

All the best with the project,
PB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the information. It'll be a big help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CAP Flyer- Contact me off list, I can probably help you with a good bit of information on all the radio sets you are working with, etc. I have a great WWII heavy aircraft radio display I am working with, & have installation, operation info, etc. Also can probably help with some parts.

Also, the BC-348 J is a RECEIVER only- No Mic jack! It should have a dynamotor assembly in it to be properly outfitted to a WWII aircraft. Usually when hams got them, they pulled the dynamotor to put in 110AC.
They would also restring the tube heaters. I probably have themaunalin .pdf I could send you, for the J model: Each model has its own manual- the wiring id wuite different between some models, as they were all built by different manufacturers, and the end letter reflects which.

The BC-221 Frequency Meter has a couple different methods of housing, I can discuss this with you... They are usually cheap enough to get, & I have a couple reasonably complete ones, we could do some trading I'm sure.

I'd love to be able to say I helped with Ol '927, and radios is my specialty!

Actually found something I know about... lol..
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hey Robbie, I'll send you a PM with my contact info and we can talk.

I think the BC-348-J still has the dyno in it. That's the big chunk of "lead" device in the rear left corner right? :) I had to screw it back down because someone let them work out and it knocked one of the tubes out of its socket (thankfully it didn't break the tube). It does have the 110 lead on it though, something I was going to ask as several aircraft radios I've seen use what look to be normal chords and plugs but are in fact only rated for either 12V or 24V aircraft use and if you plugged them into the wall they'd fry, so I wanted to get confirmation on that as well before attempting anything stupid like plugging it in. :)

I think that a receive-only is better in the plane anyway as it means that you can only listen to the radio and not get in trouble by accidentally transmitting.

Anyway, once we get in contact, I'll send along the other photos I took of both of the big radio units so between you and the manuals we can figure out what's missing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just sent you a bunch of manuals, two are zipped, including the B-24D Radio Manual, BC-375E Transmitter Manual, BC-348-J Receiver Manual, SCR 274 System Manual, Listing of B-24 radio equipment.

(That is, if it works right...)

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:04 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks Robbie, I got them. I also downloaded the manual listed above and am in the process of creating a printed version (splicing together the fold-out pages is a chore, but worth it in the end since I can turn 4+ pages into 2), and I'll plan to print these others as well and add them to the binder I'm starting for the project.

It'll give me a good shot. I'll send you the pictures of the innards of those radios this afternoon Robbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:51 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Speaking of radios, we are trying to restore the radio rack on the C-47. Does anyone have any pictures of the radios in a C-47 they can share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CAPFlyer wrote:
Thanks Robbie, I got them. I also downloaded the manual listed above and am in the process of creating a printed version (splicing together the fold-out pages is a chore, but worth it in the end since I can turn 4+ pages into 2), and I'll plan to print these others as well and add them to the binder I'm starting for the project.

It'll give me a good shot. I'll send you the pictures of the innards of those radios this afternoon Robbie.

I wasn't able to get the two big ones through- the B-24D radio manual(267 pages!) and the BC-375 Transmitter manual. I will have to remember where I found them and send you the link to download...

Send me pics! i will see what I can tell you: Make sure they are high quality ones- more pixels the better, I can zoom in and see what mods have been done.

I meant to mention- I have almost a full set of the transmitter tuner boxes, most, I think, have the CS-45 case they store in. Only missing a TU-6-B, I think. These are spares, some used, some new, varying conditions, but part of the BC-375 equipment. I was planning to e-bay them, but we can talk - maybe some trades could be arranged or something if you need them...

Thanks!/You're Welcome!
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Robbie,

If you can't find them, just send me your mailing address and I'll send you a CD and a SASE for you to send it back in.

Thanks for your help. Don is supposed to get me a picture of the installation he wants tonight so I'll be able to see what he wants it to look like and figure out what is missing. He did say that he wants the table on the pilot's side, but I think he's getting himself turned around as if we put the radios there, then the FE can't stand out of the hatch and see where they're really going. :)

I'll send those photos along here later when I get a chance to get on the laptop and ZIP them up for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:20 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

The radios do NOT go behind the copilot's seat on the B-24A. They go behind the wing, in front of the waist gunners, on that raised floor where the troop seats are currently positioned. I think that Don wants those seat positions changed around, not the seats in the cockpit.

The seat behind the copilot is for the navigator.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The BC-375 goes under one fo the tables...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

To quote Don:
Quote:
I want to fabricate a radio operators table (like in the
picture) and mount it on the pilot's side of the compartment. Metal frame and wooden table top. The right-side facing bench style seat currently installed will be removed altogether. The left-side facing seat will remain on-board, but be moved to the right to accommodate the table and so two people can still ride up there. I realize this isn't 100% original of a configuration (as you'll see by the picture), but nobody will know any different, it will be a good representation of what was original, and we will still have enough seating for everybody. The radio equipment will be mounted on top of the table with hopefully some other accommodations to make the station look complete.

I think I may have been misunderstanding his explanation, but the radios he included are part of the liaison radio system that was mounted up front behind the copilot in the B-24D, but may have been aft in the B-24A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm not too sure of A model, but the info I do have (at home- I'm at work at the moment) has the BC-375 Liaison transmitter under one desk, the BC-348 on top of another, with the ARC-5 (Command sets) and radio direction finder gear over the wing, in the back IIRC. Have to consult my files...

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:37 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

It's not my project anymore, so if y'all want to turn the airplane into a "D" model, go ahead. I am just telling you that the raiod compartment originally int that airplane was up on the raised floor, in the center of the airplane. We have plenty of picture proof of that, but like I said, I don't reckon it matters anymore.

Gary

P.S. Sorry Dave, I tried, but I just couldn't keep my thoughts to myself on this one. I'll stay out of it now.