Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Anybody know where I can get a Toby mug like they displayed in the Archbury O-Club on 12 O'Clock High? A decent repro would be fine.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here it is.

http://918thpx.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:10 am 

as much as i would love to have a mug like that, $169.00 plus tax is just waaaaaay too much for something like that!! what did buddy end up paying for it in the movie?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:49 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

groundpounder wrote:
as much as i would love to have a mug like that, $169.00 plus tax is just waaaaaay too much for something like that!! what did buddy end up paying for it in the movie?? :lol:

That is WAY too much! I remember when those first came out, they were much more reasonable, something like 30 or 40 dollars.

HOLY CRAP, I just checked the other products they have on that website. They have the General Savage mug for $ 450! No, that's not a misprint, $450! What a ripoff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At those prices I don't think stuff is flying off the shelves.............bit too much for my bank acount-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:56 am 
a.k.a. TBDude

There's one on Ebay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-FIND-1949-Movie-12-OClock-High-TOBY-MUG_W0QQitemZ270331487565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDecorative_Collectibles?hash=item270331487565&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:56 am 
TBDude wrote:

Thats more like it price wise IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:19 am 

You'd think if the guy wants to sell his crap, he'd have a decent price on it. :roll: Unbelievable ...

The name of his town is apropo, however - Shafter. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:32 am 

Interesting take on the concept of a "rip -off". Say, EXACTLY when did Pete actually cheat you? Or are you just balking at his asking price? To use your reasoning, aircraft/aviation jn general must be a"rip off", because you whimp-out at sight of the price tag!

Now me personally, I'm not interested in that sort of thing, and yes I do feel his prices are steep. However , Mr. Plumb knows what it costs to licence, make and market these things,. And I have watched with interest, over the years, as his asking price has steadily risen. So, somebody is buying his, - -as it was so delicately put - , "his crap", at whatever price he is asking.

Now you guys, on the other hand (and this is just a suggestion, mind you), if you really feel strongly enough , or passionate enough to be moved to "collect" anything, be it Mugs or Warbirds, you might find it more productive to move past the sticker-shock whining, sour grapes part and get to the makin' it happen part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

visaliaaviation wrote:
Interesting take on the concept of a "rip -off". Say, EXACTLY when did Pete actually cheat you? Or are you just balking at his asking price? To use your reasoning, aircraft/aviation jn general must be a"rip off", because you whimp-out at sight of the price tag!

Now me personally, I'm not interested in that sort of thing, and yes I do feel his prices are steep. However , Mr. Plumb knows what it costs to licence, make and market these things,. And I have watched with interest, over the years, as his asking price has steadily risen. So, somebody is buying his, - -as it was so delicately put - , "his crap", at whatever price he is asking.

Now you guys, on the other hand (and this is just a suggestion, mind you), if you really feel strongly enough , or passionate enough to be moved to "collect" anything, be it Mugs or Warbirds, you might find it more productive to move past the sticker-shock whining, sour grapes part and get to the makin' it happen part.

Yes, it IS a rip-off! The rarity, originality, and provenance of an item will dictate it's value or worth. We're not talking about original props from the movie here. We're talking about modern day, reproduction mugs - nothing special, except for the fact that it happens to be patterned after a certain mug in a movie, that's all. It's not even an "official" mug, made by the movie studio, but rather a close replica. Yes, that is a rip-off, and that person is obviously trying to gouge the general public, trying to get way more money that those things are worth. Anybody can go to China and have those things made for probably less than two dollars a mug. I don't care who you are, $ 450 for a ceramic mug is a HUGE rip-off! It's obvious he's trying to rip people off, because if it really cost that much to make those mugs, he would have sold them at that price from the get-go. I have no problem with free enterprise, but that's a little ridiculous, IMO. I have no problem with the seller, per se, but if he can find people stupid enough to pay $450 dollars for a ceramic non-authentic reproduction mug, then more power to him. I know I won't be buying it, that's for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:40 am 

warbird1 wrote:
The rarity, originality, and provenance of an item will dictate it's value or worth.

Worth is what some one else is willing to spend to obtain one. There is no way that a Mustang or Corsair can cost a million bucks, but because some one is willing to part with the cash, thats what they are worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

skymstr02 wrote:
warbird1 wrote:
The rarity, originality, and provenance of an item will dictate it's value or worth.

Worth is what some one else is willing to spend to obtain one. There is no way that a Mustang or Corsair can cost a million bucks, but because some one is willing to part with the cash, thats what they are worth.

True, but there is a big difference in a historical, rare, not made anymore Corsair or Mustang vs. an easily replicatable ceramic mug. Besides that, I believe it probably would cost more than a million bucks to make a Corsair or Mustang from scratch. Given the fact that the Corsair's wing spar alone is so complex and very difficult to replicate, I would say it would probably cost much more than a million to reproduce a Corsair.

Anyways, yes, I get your point, but I don't think that mug is worth it. I don't see how anybody else could either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's terrible isn't it. I mean, an overpriced mug. Quick, hold the front page. :lol:
warbird1 wrote:
It's not even an "official" mug, made by the movie studio,...

And that makes it better, how? As a rule of thumb, officially produced items like this from movie studios have 'made in China' on the plastic bottoms just by the mould line - and the price tag matches the above because it's got a 'Officially Licenced Dog Do' next to it.. :roll:

I can't see why some get so incensed. No one has to buy it, and the price is evidently what the market will bear - cornerstone of the system we operate in, like it or not.

As Charles has said, you could make your own. After all the other key principle is that competition keeps 'em honest. Clearly he needs another toby mug maker in the market.

Cheers,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not something I would spend that kind of money on, but I do think the price reflects reasonable value for both the Toby and General Savage Mugs, as unique collectables, the mugs come with other movie memorabilia, and are obviously in demand by fans of the show as shown by k5dh's post seeking one.

According to the website, The Toby is reproduced from a unique movie prop, by researching the stills of the show apparantly with assitance and approval from the film company, its been researched and moulded privately and apparantly is hand painted and then glazed, its certainly not the type of thing usually available cheaply from Tiawanese importers.

The General Savage Mug is apparantly licenced by the film company and Gregory Peck and due to his death production has ceased?

Both Mugs are feeding into an obvious niche collector/fan market not sourced by others, and would have high production costs over perhaps low volumes, I think its unfair to complain against the price as "rip-off's" unless there are similar /better equivalent products at much lower prices, which it seems there isnt.

(I assume the items on ebay are 2 hand mugs originally from this same supplier?)

Its a luxury item not an essential service, market forces apply.

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Quote:
TOBY MUG
This toby jug is an exact replica of the original movie prop use in Twentieth Century Fox's 1949 hit, Twelve O'clock High, starring Gregory Peck and Dean Jagger. It is part of the FIRST production run of this particular toby jug design which was created by the Fox prop makers specifically for the movie.

The whereabouts of the original toby used in the movie is not known but we were able to achieve this incredibly accurate replica through years of R&D and continued refinement which involve studying stills and movie scenes provided to us by Fox and by hand sculpting and painting more than ten plaster models. Once the sculpted model was finished and approved by Fox, we searched the U.S. and U.K. to find a manufacturer capable of consistently meeting our demands for top quality.

The results of our efforts are clearly evident in each piece. Our replica 918th Bomb Group toby jugs are cast in small batches and then hand painted, glazed and triple fired. Each jug is "double" quality checked, at the factory and again when we pack them for shipment. This assures that you are receiving the very finest quality possible.

Quote:
GENERAL SAVAGE MUG
"General Savage" was released in time to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the release of Twentieth Century Fox's classic film Twelve O'clock High and is destined to become an heirloom of unprecedented collectibility and sentimental value. It is a lasting tribute, not only to Gregory Peck as one of the greatest actors of our time, but to the men the character represents -- the brave American airmen who fought the air battles over Europe in WWII.

Designed and sculpted by skilled artists this 7 1/2'' American-made ceramic character jug exudes bravery, leadership and patriotism. Each hand-painted jug is an individual work of art, "a portrait in 3D," which features and incredibly accurate likeness of Peck suited out in WWII bomber pilot attire: A-11 leather helmet, B-8 goggles, B-4 "Mae West" and A-2 jacket. The unique handle finishes off the theme with a 22 karat gold plated B-17 "flying high" above majestic clouds nestled atop the mighty 48-star American flag.

Each jug is numbered and bears a reproduction of the actor's signature on its base. To complete the package, each "General Savage" character jug comes with a certificate of authenticity, an information card and a studio still of Gregory Peck as "General Savage." Of course, the "General Savage" character jug, likeness and signature are approved and reproduced under an exclusive license with Twenty Century Fox Film Corporation and Gregory Peck.

This special edition Character jug of Gregory Peck as "General Savage" was originally limited to 1,999 numbered units to be distributed internationally. However, due to contractual limitations following Mr. Peck's death, production will be halted indefinitely. We only have a limited number of the original stock left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
This special edition Character jug of Gregory Peck as "General Savage" was originally limited to 1,999 numbered units to be distributed internationally.

OOooo, I didn't know there were only 1,999 units of those mugs produced. You're right, I changed my mind, those are definitely worth $ 450! I didn't know there was such a limited production run of them. :D

Just curious, are there even 1,999 "Twelve O'Clock High" fans in existence?