Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Did anyone make it to the annual BBQ fly-in at Kitty Hill? I took the U-11 there and was the only twin...for good reason! The into the wind runway was 17, but it's only 2200 feet long and about 45 feet wide (I'm not sure on the width). On short final the runway seemed to shrink to about 800 feet and the 12-15 foot tall trees at the fence seemed to grow to about 200 feet!

It was a good time with lots of good food though. Two other military types were there, an L-19 (kept where Mike Collier keeps his) and an L-4. I counted 28 planes on the "ramp", but some came and went, so the count could have been over 30. The weather was perfect...a little warm, but a good wind blowing. A large drive-up crowd was there and the U-11 had lots of visitors. Most were probably trying to figure out what it was!

If you've never been, I recommend you drive or fly over next year. This was my first time there, but I'll be back next year, and I'm going to try to get more of our planes from San Marcos to come over as well. I think they would get a kick out of a four-ship arrival!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:04 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Never heard of it... Sounds like I missed out on something!

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry Ryan! I thought about asking if you knew about it, but since it's primarily a tail dragger event, I assumed you knew about it! I'll try to make sure I get the info to you next year! It might be cool to see how many of the ALS can make the trip! The field, by the way, is 77T.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Well, that sounds like it's worth knowing about. Is there a way to get on their "list" of people to contact next year?
The good news for me is that I was out flying the J-3 Cub at Boerne with a student yesterday, and have student flights in it 4 days this week as well for a tailwheel endorsement booked from my new independent instruction advertising! That's a good thing.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ryan, maybe you can get a big group together to make the trip over from Hardy's place next year. That would be awesome to see a bunch arrive at the same time!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sadly the economy caused the event to cancel this year. I hear the field may be going away in the near future too. I hope not, but it is in a prime development area.