Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Northrop Delta N13777
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 pm 

Anyone have an update on the status of the aircraft?
From the inetrnet, the last mention I've found is in Missouri wher it was unrerstored.
What kind of shape is it in?
With the recent upswing in antique interest..the Ford and Hamiliton Metalplane sales at Barrrett-Jackson, Pemberton's Boeing 40 and Pecks DH 4 getting a lot of press, etc, I'm surprised it hasnt been restored or even seen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:36 pm 

Is this what you were asking about?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:09 am 

Yes, that's it...the only Delta still in existance.
She looks to be in good shape.
Anyone know of any restioration plans?
I'd think she'd be too valuable to be sitting disassembled in a hangar somewhere.

BTW: she's a former Honeywell exective aircraft, flown by max Conrad (if your old enough to remember who he was :) ).
Allen's excellent Northrop Story 1929-39 says she served as a sprayer in Wyoming in the 50s...it's amazing she's still with us.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 am 

The rest of the plane is there as well with no damage. Wings are in racks and complete tail assembly on storage shelf. Cockpit is intact but cabin interior has been removed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 pm 

Can you share any information about her?
Location, plans?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

For what it is worth, the FAA database says that it is owned by Richard M. Davis in Shawnee Mission, KS. Of course, Homeland Security says that even the FAA isn't sure about the veracity of its own information... :)

kevin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:

I believe there is also a Northrop Delta in the Canadian national air museum in Ottawa. I saw it there in storage many years ago. It had been recoevered after an accident but was certainly restorable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Apparently this one:

http://agora.virtualmuseum.ca/edu/ViewL ... EN&id=4203

On 27 August 1939 a Northrop Delta 673 from No 8 General Purpose Squadron RCAF departed Ottawa en route to its wartime station at Halifax. It was flown by Warrant Officer James E. Doan and Leading Aircraftman David Alexander Rennie. Both had joined the RCAF pre-war and had been called to active service when war broke out. After a series of mishaps, the plane and its crew disappeared on 14 September 1939. It was not until nineteen years later, on 10 July 1958 that wreckage of a plane and bone fragments were found in thick woods near Beaverbrook Lake. The plane was identified as the missing Northrup Delta with the remains of WO Doan and LAC Rennie. These two servicemen were the first Canadian casualties of World War Two. Their names head the list of some 800 men and women on the Air Force Memorial on Green Island in Ottawa, dedicated to air personnel who died in activities in Canada. For more information see “Mystery Plane Found in New Brunswick” by Jim Cougle

From the Nat'l AF Museum of Canada site, April 2009:
http://airforcemuseum.ca/en/uploads/201 ... inutes.pdf
scroll down to:

"There is a strong possibility of securing Northrop Delta 673 as a long-term loan from
Canadian Aviation Museum for refurbishment at NAFMC."

-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:10 pm 

old iron wrote:
Quote:

I believe there is also a Northrop Delta in the Canadian national air museum in Ottawa. I saw it there in storage many years ago. It had been recoevered after an accident but was certainly restorable.

After reading an account of the accident and eventual recovery in The Northrop Story, I'm surprised there are much remains left.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:03 pm 

I was able to track the aircraft down here in the Kansas City area a couple of years ago. It was recently moved from the Kansas City Downtown airport where it had live for many years. I went to the new airport to see if I could just look at and take some pictures of the Delta. The reception I got at the airport was not as friendly as I was hoping. I was asked the three "W's" who I am, who I worked for, and what did I wanted. I explained that I am a local historical aviation nut and just wanted to see the rare plane. Basically I was told to leave and that the plane I was looking for was not there even though I know it is there. Not a big deal but glad to see the photo's here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm 

She's not there. She's in Atchison Kansas now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:12 pm 

The Northrop was working on a nine-seat transport, which was basically a new fuselage married to Gamma wings. Unfortunately for Northrop. Thanks for shairng info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Delta has now moved to the Airline History Museum in Kansas City.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article66870792.html

Still advertised as the last in existence. the Delta at the Canadian National Aeronautical Museum in Ottawa, though crashed (as detailed above) is substantially complete from what I saw in storage many years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here is a lot of information (a whole book online?) about the Canadian Northrop Delta. It is now categorized as unrestorable.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/573/Lost-in-the-Wilderness.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:59 am 

A recent update showed that they have it largely reassembled. I'm not sure how far they are planning to go with their "restoration" but it seems that it will just be a cosmetic reassembly. Sad to see for an airplane so significant and in such good condition.

https://www.facebook.com/AirlineHistory/photos/pcb.2740911335937386/2740931512602035/?type=3&theater