Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott-

The parts fuselage was an AA machine, and came from the Flagship Detroit guys. We trucked it down to Tulsa from KC, took the bell frames out of it and scrapped what little was left. They tried their hardest to find any identifying markings on it, but couldn't. There were no data plates, no hand written inscriptions etc. I looked myself and couldn't find anything. I was kinda surprised. So no id on it.

And we are actually looking at going to the Wrights. I really want it original, and that seems to be a popular point of view among those who have a voice in the project. We do have a set of Pratts, and the conex had a ton of cowlings that fit the Pratts. But I think the strong preference is to put the Wrights back on it, complete with the eyebrow cowlings. The Flagship Knoxville was restored with the round cowlings, but a NOS set of the eyebrows was located and later installed. If anyone knows where a set of the eyebrow cowlings might be, please let us know! We have a guy who is an expert in all of the FAA paperwork that will be required to return it to its original DC-3 status instead of its modified DC-3A status. I think it's very doable, and is what we're pointed towards.

And besides, no other flying DC-3 has those cowlings. So it'd just be pretty neato. :)

kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:43 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm glad to hear that, Kevin. I'm an originality nut, so going back to 1820s is music to my ears.

PM sent,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:29 pm 

I'm re-reading (for the 10th...or so...time) Ernest K. Gann's
Fate is the Hunter.
I was wondering, if you have the DC-3s logs and have checked to see if he..or anyone else famous..flew it.
The EAA may have his log books...which would list the ac he flew during his time with American (I understand they have his complete writing den...a converted shed...was donated to EAA by his widow...so I'm guessing they may have his logs as well).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

We don't have the log books for the Flagship. We have talked with a couple of Trans-Texas pilots who flew our airplane during its time with that airline. I would love to know if he flew this airplane. Worth checking out!

kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is the first time I've taken the time to read all the way through this thread and it's made for a pretty interesting afternoon. Great work Kevin and co.
Several various DC-3 comments and questions...
Why doesn't Basler want right-door airframes? How many of these conversions have they built?
A good visual difference between Wrights and Pratts is on the bottom of the cowling. Wrights have the small,plain air scoop and Pratts have the big hangey-down oil cooler with it's unnatural attraction to the heads of people walking nearby. :x
Lone Star's DC-3 N25673, c/n 2213 though now in Continental livery is also an ex AA bird. Also ex TTA, ex PBA.
What's the latest scoop on surviving #'s of actual civil DC-3's..not C-47's?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 am 

I would imagine that a survey of right hand door airframes would be interesting? We have two here in South Africa, both under long term restoration (ZS-KEX s/n 2008 and ZS-PAA s/n 1984). We are almost done with our C-47 (ZS-NTE s/n 11926) and Steve Hamilton's PBY 5a N427CV (s/n CV-427) and then I might tackle ZS-KEX next. Having the C-47 and DC-3a airframes next each other on the floor is quite interesting - the differences between the two are definitely more than skin deep! One I think of immediately is the large round access in the DC-3a, looking from the outside of the wing centre section to the area outboard the fuel tanks and the rear of the landing gear drag strut. In the C-47 this can only be accessed from the fuel tank side, neccessitating removal of the tank.

The FST project is immensely interesting - there is not that much DC-3 heavy maintenance happening around the world, Its very heartening to see such work being carried out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I agree. I would imagine that the number of original right hand door DC-3s is pretty minimal compared to the number of ex-C-47 airframes that have had the cargo door converted to a left hand passenger door. Ours has the baggage door relocated, but the entry door is still in its original position. It was even converted from a swinging door into an airstair door, but they used the original Douglas framework and door, and just reconfigured it a bit. All of that will go back to original configuration.

By the way, at this point the fuselage has been completely stripped inside, and a log has been made of repairs to the structure that will need to take place. The skin will come off at some point in the near future, most likely piece by piece, and will be replaced to facilitate a polished finish. AA's original scheme depended heavily on a polished look, and we're not about to scrimp there.

kevin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 am 

FYI, the folks at the museum at Meacham, Fort Worth, TX are converting an ex-C-47 back to Pratts. They just removed a set of Wrights. Don't know what their plans are for the engines. Contact Jim Terry down there. They might be able to work a deal...

Vintage Aircraft Services
Aircraft restoration and rebuilding
Rhome, TX

http://www.vintageaircraftservices.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Bill! I understand from some of the folks down there that those are B-17 firewall forwards, so the cowls etc. would be all wrong for FST. But we are definitely on the hunt for a set of reasonably priced Wrights, so please keep up the search! You might let the folks there know that we do have quite a bit of stuff for the Pratts, including several sets of cowlings, so if they need something have them let me know.

Thanks again!

kevin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Any updates on this neat project?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry it has been so long since an update. A small group of volunteers has continued to work on the Flagship. The entire aircraft will be reskinned, and they have started this slow process. They are working on the fuselage, starting at the tail and moving forward. I will post some photos this evening if I remember to get them downloaded. Omni Air has started work on the tail, and will have it completed by mid-spring to be on display at our museum's annual fundraiser. Other things are in the works, including a website for the project that should be launched in the next few weeks (if I finish up the updates!) Thanks for the question, and I will try to post some photos pronto! Merry Christmas!
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

tulsaboy wrote:
Sorry it has been so long since an update. A small group of volunteers has continued to work on the Flagship. The entire aircraft will be reskinned, and they have started this slow process. They are working on the fuselage, starting at the tail and moving forward. I will post some photos this evening if I remember to get them downloaded. Omni Air has started work on the tail, and will have it completed by mid-spring to be on display at our museum's annual fundraiser. Other things are in the works, including a website for the project that should be launched in the next few weeks (if I finish up the updates!) Thanks for the question, and I will try to post some photos pronto! Merry Christmas!
Kevin

Excellent, thanks Kevin! I'm looking forward to anything you have time to post or upload!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:24 pm 

another AA Flagship aloft will be a wonderful thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Trust me- that is what we are working towards- though, as with all aircraft of this vintage, it is becoming a matter of cubic dollars. Just takes money, and anything is possible...

kevin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well how are things in Tulsa?????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next