This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Chance Vought F4U-5NL Corsair Serial 124541

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Matthias Dorst wrote:.... so thats it for today .... you are now updated ! :D :D :D and I am on board again :D

Does anyone out in the world has technical drawings or worksdrawings of those antiglare-shields mounted over the exhausts ? These special -5NL parts are missing and the teams wants to build them up. But we need drawings !

Matthias do you have any drawing or part numbers for which you seek drawings?

Send me an email or message from this board and I will see what I can do.

bill

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 am

Hi Matthias,

Great to see that you are back! Looking forward to your excellent pictures and updates.

Ron

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 am

Good Grief

That is one of the most beautiful warbirds I have seen in my life!

WOW

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Our Corsair bu. 122184 was a vmf 513 aircraft also,I believe it was painted by ezells with the flying nightmares nose art. N65WF FAH605. I have all the old logbooks stating that it went to Honduras in 1956.
This aircraft is still airworthy.
You can see it fly on video from our website.
http://www.stone-henge.net

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm

crystal lakes wrote:Our Corsair bu. 122184 was a vmf 513 aircraft also,I believe it was painted by ezells with the flying nightmares nose art. N65WF FAH605. I have all the old logbooks stating that it went to Honduras in 1956.

WOWWWWW great video, thanks for sharing !

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Matt check your PM...Mint

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 am

crystal lakes wrote:Our Corsair bu. 122184 was a vmf 513 aircraft also,I believe it was painted by ezells with the flying nightmares nose art. N65WF FAH605. I have all the old logbooks stating that it went to Honduras in 1956.

Great pics, congratulations !

For me, it's just a vision of paradise on earth : big wild green forests and aircrafts :D
Too bad it's so far from Switzerland :oops:
What an amazing view it must be to see the Seafire flying over such a landscape !

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 am

ChrisDNT wrote:

Great pics, congratulations !

For me, it's just a vision of paradise on earth : big wild green forests and aircrafts :D
Too bad it's so far from Switzerland :oops:
What an amazing view it must be to see the Seafire flying over such a landscape !

Thanks Chris
I was in Europe about 10 years ago with my boss, of all the places in europe I liked Switzerland the best because of how clean it is and it has Larch trees that lose their needles in the fall just like Montana.
Regards
Mike

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 pm

I noticed that BuNo 124541 was at NAS Birmingham, AL. So I thought that some of the members might enjoy seeing F4U-5Ns in the Deep South during the 1950s.

Sorry for the poor quality, enjoy

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 pm

That is perhaps one of the sexiest Corsairs I have ever seen

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Matthias,
I love the new paint scheme! Awsome!

I have this 3M microfilm cartridge still in my files but I have not had any luck finding a reader/printer in the St. Louis area that take this type of cartridge. I guess they were relatively common in the 70s and 80s but not so anymore. I don't even know if the drawings you are looking for will be on this film tape but it does show that there are some engineering drawings for the XF4U-5. I wish there was a way to convert this 3M microfilm cartridge into some sort of modern digital file so it would be more helpful for folks like yourself. Any ideas? Anyone?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Try a local Blue Printing firm to see if they can scan it. I had to do that many years ago for the company I work for. It wasn't cheep.

Kenn

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 am

The B-29 in the first photo looks like it has the notch in the aft center section for the Douglas Skyrocket/Fertil Myrtle drop ship modification??

The B-29 in the fourth photo looks like it has a funny appendage aft of the left flap on the fulselage. Or is that just the open bomb bay door?

Scott?? Smys?? Bueller? :rolleyes: Anyone have an identity of these ships?

Sorry to hijack. :wink: 8)

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 pm

astixjr wrote:Matthias,
I love the new paint scheme! Awsome!

I have this 3M microfilm cartridge still in my files but I have not had any luck finding a reader/printer in the St. Louis area that take this type of cartridge. I guess they were relatively common in the 70s and 80s but not so anymore. I don't even know if the drawings you are looking for will be on this film tape but it does show that there are some engineering drawings for the XF4U-5. I wish there was a way to convert this 3M microfilm cartridge into some sort of modern digital file so it would be more helpful for folks like yourself. Any ideas? Anyone?

I have a fiche machine with an additional piece that attaches that allows you to connect the rolls and view the film.
Eyecom 6000 is the fiche unit.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Edward Sheetmetalhands wrote:The B-29 in the first photo looks like it has the notch in the aft center section for the Douglas Skyrocket/Fertil Myrtle drop ship modification??

The B-29 in the fourth photo looks like it has a funny appendage aft of the left flap on the fulselage. Or is that just the open bomb bay door?

Scott?? Smys?? Bueller? :rolleyes: Anyone have an identity of these ships?

Sorry to hijack. :wink: 8)

Tough to make out via the photo quality.
The first one could be a notch for a large 'earthquake' bomb mod? Not sure
The fourth photo looks like just an open bomb bay door, correct.
Post a reply