Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Well up till now members subscribed because they wanted to support WIX and essentially sponsor what we do here. I appreciate all 18 of you that do so :) However, there wasn't any real benefit for doing so except that warm and fuzzy feeling you get by supporting something you care about. I've been trying to figure out some way to reward subscribers for their support and today I am happy to announce that first benefit. It might not be much, and its still in beta while I work out the kinks, but it is probably the most requested feature. I have enabled attachments, which means you will be able to post pictures directly into your posts without having to go through a proxy like photobucket. I have attached a picture of an A-26 Invader as an example. Their are limits to the picture size and you can only add three pictures to a post but those are the initial restrictions. Once I get an idea of server usage I will consider raising the limits.

I can't open this up to everyone because with 5000+ members we would destroy the server and eat up all the available storage space. I figure that subscribers are helping to pay for the site and should get that benefit and the subsidize the additional costs.

So if you want the ability to put pictures directly into your posts then consider subscribing, it's voluntary and the basic subscription is only $2 a month, thats less than the costs of most magazine subscriptions. http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

To the current subscribers, I will be adding the permissions to your account today, if tomorrow you still haven't seen the attachment option when you post messages let me know. I am going by my list and I don't have usernames recorded so I might miss you. Just drop me a PM and I'll get it sorted.

Attachments:
File comment: A-26 Invader
a26-4322281.jpg
a26-4322281.jpg [ 27.83 KiB | Viewed 27743 times ]

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:35 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Scott,

It looks like if you're not in the "in" group, you can't see the picture. BTW, I went ahead and signed up for the subscription - not because I need the photos, but because I'd been meaning to help out for a while and just forgot to get it done.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

RyanShort1 wrote:
Scott,

It looks like if you're not in the "in" group, you can't see the picture. BTW, I went ahead and signed up for the subscription - not because I need the photos, but because I'd been meaning to help out for a while and just forgot to get it done.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, thats one of the bugs I need to work out :) And thanks for signing up, it's appreciated.

Edit: All users should be able to see the attachments now, let me know if it tells you that you don't have permission to view attachments.

This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am 

hi scott,

when i was running Airwarfareforum we had our own picture hosting, size limit was 200kb, which was ample, band usage was ok to even when i started the walkround section, so you should be good to go.
best of luck with the expansion. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 am 

I think this is a great idea Scott. So I just signed up :D .

Keep up the good work!

-Derek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:22 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

sagindragin wrote:
hi scott,

when i was running Airwarfareforum we had our own picture hosting, size limit was 200kb, which was ample, band usage was ok to even when i started the walkround section, so you should be good to go.

Thanks, I think things should be okay, I'll just have to keep an eye on it for a bit. Our bandwidth is already off the charts, especially compared to the old days. At least if I have to increase resources that means there will be a corresponding increase in donations. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

viking73 wrote:
I think this is a great idea Scott. So I just signed up :D .

Keep up the good work!

-Derek

Thanks, I have added you and Ryan as subscribers so you should be good to go. Let me know if you run into any issues, like I said, this is a beta trial and there will be teething issues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 am 
Account Suspended

Very cool! Thanks

Sick of the quirkiness of photobucket.

Best,

S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

sagindragin wrote:
hi scott,

That was a good site. Many of my old poster from us-aircraft.com went over there. Glad to see some rivalry going. :lol: 8) ua-aircraft has been down since yesterday. Just being care taker not much I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:16 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Scott, are my PayPal donations coming through every month?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

bdk wrote:
Scott, are my PayPal donations coming through every month?

Yup, thanks for the continued support!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Excellent! I signed up on PayPal and never heard anything more about it (my wife the accountant reconciles the credit card statement). Just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing stones in my glass house.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am 

For my first post, I'd like to put my money where my mouth hasn't been and say, "I'm in!" I've been lurking here for years getting the benefit of everyone's knowledge, pics, humor, etc., so I'd like that to continue.

Scott, thanks for helping me get on the WIX and hopefully my contirubtion helps push the ball forward a bit.

Brad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 am 
Account Suspended

StangStung wrote:
For my first post, I'd like to put my money where my mouth hasn't been and say, "I'm in!" I've been lurking here for years getting the benefit of everyone's knowledge, pics, humor, etc., so I'd like that to continue.

Scott, thanks for helping me get on the WIX and hopefully my contirubtion helps push the ball forward a bit.

Brad

Awesome, welcome aboard, Brad! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:35 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Hi all,
First, thanks to the people who have donated or subscribed to the site, we appreciate it. Hopefully if the trend continues we will be able to invest in some database programming and get the ball rolling on the Registry 2.0 project.

Do me a favor though, if you use paypal and the e-mail address associated with your paypal account is different than the one you use here, just drop me a line and let me know. I add the attachment feature based on finding your account with an e-mail search, and if I don't know your handle or the e-mail is different then I can't find your account. I have 4 subscribers right now that I'm not sure what there WIX handle is. Thanks.