Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 am 
Some updated news on the Lockheed L-1649A Starliner project up in Maine:

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... ng=english

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-connie_news.htm#AUG06

Still a ways to go, but hopefully we are looking at a first flight sometime in 2011. I can't wait to see this classic propliner back in the air!

Last edited by jwc50 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 am 
Some updated news from the Lufthansa "Technik" Starliner restoration project website:

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... urn_US.xml

Ralph Pettersen has given us a nice update also in his "Propliner Roundup" on Page 48 of the March 2011 issue of "Air Classics" magazine. He includes information regarding the continued flight crew training on the HARS Super Connie in Australia which is the only currently flying Constellation/Super Constellation/Starliner until the Breitling SCFA Super Connie "returns to the air in 2011 and the L-1649A project is complete sometime in 2012." Thanks for the info., Ralph!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am 
Latest information from the Lufthansa "Technik" website:

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... ise_US.xml

Only reference to timing is the vague comment: "...after the L-1649A arrives in Germany in a few years' time...."

At this point I would think we are looking at 2012 as the earliest year for the first post-restoration flight in Maine. It would be nice if it could visit Oshkosh in July 2012 before heading for Germany.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 am 
Ralph Pettersen has posted some updated information on his "Connie Survivors" website:

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-connie_news.htm#JUN10

At this point we are apparently looking at a potential first post-restoration flight for the Starliner sometime in 2013. Hopefully we will be looking for it to visit Oshkosh that year along with some other big propliners.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:32 pm 

Can we stop guessing, please? Within the space of four posts, first post-restoration flight has gone from 2011 to 2012 to 2013. Anybody for 2014?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 am 

Stephan Wilkinson wrote:
Can we stop guessing, please? Within the space of four posts, first post-restoration flight has gone from 2011 to 2012 to 2013. Anybody for 2014?
Indeed with any restoration, particularly a large airplane, the only rule is it will fly when it flies. Way too many other variables.

I'm not going to list the other 'slipped' dates for prominent projects. You know who you are :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Would 'prominent projects' include ,.................say the first flights for the 747-8 and the Dreamliner perhaps? Even the big guys do unmentionable things with the pooch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm 
The Lufthansa team working on the project is being reinforced to speed progress on the restoration:

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... ung_US.xml

It will be great day when we see this beauty take to the air again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:26 pm 
I agree, that this is a BIG restoration project. This is probably the most thorough undertaking of the restoration of a 4-engined vintage propliner that has ever been attempted.

I am really looking forward to the day that this beauty will fly again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 pm 

I try to take Lufthansa when I can, and I have written several letters to their corporate offices telling them that I do this because of their investment in the heritage aircraft.....Nothing makes my day more than sitting on my porch and the Ju-52 comes rumbling by on a Rhine sightseeing cruise.
The Constellation will be fabulous to see!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
This latest update from Lufthansa Technik regarding the Starliner restoration really highlights the complexities of this LONG term project. It doesn't look like we will see it take to the air any time soon, but when it does it will undoubtedly be the most thorough and exacting vintage airliner restoration project ever undertaken.

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... nts_US.xml

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

jwc50 wrote:
This latest update from Lufthansa Technik regarding the Starliner restoration really highlights the complexities of this LONG term project. It doesn't look like we will see it take to the air any time soon, but when it does it will undoubtedly be the most thorough and exacting vintage airliner restoration project ever undertaken.

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... nts_US.xml

Their timeline is supposedly a year and a half from now. This is an incredible project and they are restoring it to an incredibly high standard for a 55 year old propliner. For instance, they are rebuilding the pressure bulkheads. I'm sure they don't plan to pressurize the airplane, but to put it in service flying airline routes, it has to conform to the type certificate, which means the pressurization system has to be installed and functional.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:51 pm 

The airplane is designed to have pressurized air flow through it, and heat and cool not only the people but the electrical and avionics components. If they are going through such painstaking restoration of all components and systems and the pressurization system is operable, I see no reason not to pressurize the airplane. It's not magic or hard on the airplane, and max differential would not have to be used.
Chris...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Additionally, as they're planning on using the aircraft for "line operations" in Europe as part of their Historic Flight (which operates real Lufthansa flight schedules appropriate to the era of the aircraft being flown), I suspect the Starliner will be flying at altitude anyway going into Southern Europe over the Alps and possibly even being used on a trans-Atlantic flight occasionally just as their Ju-52 has made the migration to South America in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CAPFlyer wrote:
Additionally, as they're planning on using the aircraft for "line operations" in Europe as part of their Historic Flight (which operates real Lufthansa flight schedules appropriate to the era of the aircraft being flown), I suspect the Starliner will be flying at altitude anyway going into Southern Europe over the Alps and possibly even being used on a trans-Atlantic flight occasionally just as their Ju-52 has made the migration to South America in the past.

Ya think? I'm guessing equipped, certified, and trained for IFR, but only flown in VMC predicted conditions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next