Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Reno Air Races
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Anybody going next week??

Post subject: Re: Reno Air Races
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 pm 

Leaving Tuesday :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I might make it Friday as a first-timer. Still seeing if the plans come together.

A bit disappointed in the lack of buzz about what will be there -- not just here, but on ASB and anywhere else I look. Summarizing what little I have seen:

Mr Lewis' new Tomahawk will be a highlight obviously.

The Tri-State P-40M is still a listed heritage entrant but I'm assuming it will be a scratch as we have not heard anything about a maiden flight since the engine run videos of last month.

A lot of people are keeping their fingers crossed for the #74 F2G, I know. It does appear we will see Precious Metal which will be cool.

This silver F7F which has appeared at Chino is headed for Reno I assume.

Anyone have any other gen? Tips for a first-time guy?

August

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm missing this year for the first time in a very long time. The only reason I'm missing it is that my team isn't racing the T-6 this year so I don't have a crew to work on. I've gotten pretty spoiled so I'm not very good at being just a spectator anymore!

But as a result of not going this year, I'm getting to engineer "FIFI" around Nebraska and Oklahoma this next week! Not a bad tradeoff, if one had to be made!

August, take a coat as well as a pair of shorts. I've seen it both snow and be 100 degrees during race week!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:37 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the tip Brad.

For those of you that are mere spectators, I have a narrow question. Did I make a mistake booking a front-row seat in the grandstand, i.e. is the front row elevated enough to see/shoot taxiing and takeoff action over the box seats or whatever is in front of the grandstand, or should I have booked a seat a few rows back to get a little more height? Considering what it will cost me to be there, I'd book a second seat to make sure of a good view.

August

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The best quote I have seen for Reno is pack for 4 seasons and wear 2...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As far as your seating choice goes, I think you did pretty good. The boxes in front of you are quite a bit lower than you are. Any higher up in the seats, it has always looked to me like there are too many people to get in front of you while taking pictures. Be sure and spring for the pit pass. Either end of the unlimited/T-6 pits are a good spot to stand if you get there early enough and it is about as close to the action as you will get for ground shots. Air shots, well, it just depends on the angle you want to get. Maybe its a good shot, maybe not. During the last couple of years they have had bleachers out on the back of the course somewhere and it always looked to me like it would be a good place to take pictures from. That being said, I have never tried it. It was about $100 extra I believe and it seems like they only did it on certain days. It's my opinion that the best place to experience the race for a spectator or crew member is right down in the thick of it in the pits. It's cool to walk down and look at the jets in their pit area but for me that is where the interest ends. Watching the jets race is like watching a bunch of mules fight over a turnip.

My personal take on Reno is that its a reunion of a very extended part of a very dysfunctional family! I don't believe I've ever enjoyed an event so much and I'm already regretting not going this year!

As for the lack excitement on a couple of websites: Can't explain the lack of it on this one, other than to say the majority of the people involved in Reno have left this place. As for ASB, it sure looks to me like that board took a dive when they changed to the new format. I don't have the figures of course but it looks to me like they get about 1/3rd of the traffic they used to get.

I'm sure you know about them, but be sure and look at AAFO.com and warbirdaeropress.com for the best Reno stuff.

Enjoy the trip!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

k5083 wrote:
Thanks for the tip Brad.

For those of you that are mere spectators, I have a narrow question. Did I make a mistake booking a front-row seat in the grandstand, i.e. is the front row elevated enough to see/shoot taxiing and takeoff action over the box seats or whatever is in front of the grandstand, or should I have booked a seat a few rows back to get a little more height? Considering what it will cost me to be there, I'd book a second seat to make sure of a good view.

August

August, please check in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:35 am 

TAdan wrote:
k5083 wrote:
Thanks for the tip Brad.

August

August, please check in.

has ANYONE checked in? ~praying for everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My understanding about August was that he had just left his seats before the gold race. Another 10 minutes and he would have literally been in the middle of the crash. So he used most of his remaining 9 lives there. Lucky lucky guy........

Mark H

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm looking forward to going again this year....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Pending FAA waiver.... Races are on They got insurance.

Mark H

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

P51Mstg wrote:
Pending FAA waiver.... Races are on They got insurance.

Mark H

Mark, you don't by chance use the same call sign on eBay? I bid against him a lot...

Lynn