Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm 

Hello WIX;
I am still in the process of digitizing my aircraft photos (both slides and prints) and this months selection is from Charlie Brown Field in Atlanta GA. I believe this airport is now called Fulton County Airport -Brown Field. Of course you do not now have the access that was available in 1973 but it is still a good place to go on weekends and watch airplanes and maybe even see a Warbird or two.
Cheers Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice mix of stuff that used to be parked everywhere, but now not so much. The airstair door C-47 is interesting. Anyone know if it's a reconverted C-47 or an impressed C-48 or C-53 from WW2?
The Brazilian DH-125 is in sort of an odd location isn't it, or was it surplussed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm 

Another good post Mr. Bill. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm 

My father worked at the Atlanta Flight Service Station there during that time. We always called it "Fulton County Airport". I thought the name "Charlie Brown" came later. But I was only ten, then.

If that is the same FAA DC-3, I remember it flying just over the tops of the trees on the hill we lived on, which overlooked the airport. We bought our house from the pilot, and he was showing us the plane! I swear the treetops swayed after he went by.

One day I heard the Goodyear blimp flying over, which I knew was in town. I ran outside to see it, and there it was, right over the house with my dad hanging out the window! They were low enough to recognize him.

Of course that was all in 1972/73, when the FAA employed people who knew and understood aviation. Today they all would have been lined up and shot, because we all know aviation is a BUSINESS and is not meant for any pleasure. (Political Rant for the day!)

I wish I had some pictures from those days, but didn't even have a camera then. It was a good time to be around aviation, though.

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 pm 

What was the warbird shop on the field? I remember a Hellcat , P-51D and a Bf109 project there? or maybe it was a Fw190? I think they moved over from Hartsfield when it started to get too big.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:36 pm 

I learned to fly at the Beech dealer, Hangar One, at Fulton County Airport in 1980. Started in Skippers and then went to Sundowners. A great airport to fly out of at that time. Also flew a lot of CAP missions out of FTY.

I don't recall any warbird shop on the field then. They would cycle through periodically. I saw FIFI there, and I recall as well being in the pattern one day with a couple of Mustangs. I remember the aircraft in Bill's photos. You'd see Navy T-34's and T-44's from Pensacola on week-ends, and the occasional T-37 from Columbus, MS. Also Air Force and Navy T-39's.

The restaurant in the terminal had a pretty good hamburger, too.

Walt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 am 

If I remember correctly the Brazilian DH-125 brought a trade mission in from that country for a meeting in Atlanta. If was parked at the State of Georgia hangar next to Peanut #1 (a Gulfstream). I do not remember any warbird shops at the field just a lot of warbirds activity. There was a P-51D based there for a while but a well-off doctor bought it and on his first flight took off and killed his self. Pilot error I heard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I remember those GA Army National Guard aircraft at FTY. They moved to Dobbins (1980's?) Those MoHawks were cool aircraft! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am 

eagle21 wrote:

..... It was a good time to be around aviation, though.

John

It sure was. You could walk around the ramp(as a kid) and look at the airplanes and nobody said anything to you.
Radial engine planes and other cool stuff were still flying.

Bill,
Thanks for posting the vintage photos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:18 pm 

That F-8 looked familiar (especially with the "Navy Marine" on the side) and I thought I remembered it from the oft-discussed Mercer Field north of Atlanta. I quick check at Joe Baugher's on the serial shows that it is the same, and it is now "with Evergreen Aviation to be restored." Is it possible that your picture was taken at Mercer? Love the Mohawk pics too, but didn't realize they had speed brakes. Thanks for posting.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great photos! Love the Howard. With those 4-bladed props, they looked like they really meant business (no pun intended; they were serious-looking performance machines!). Cool to see the DH Beavers, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:54 pm 

It may have been at Mercer but in 1972 it was stationed at NAS Atlanta at Dobbins AFB. The Crusader had declared an in-flight emergency and had to make an emergency landing at Charlie Brown. I believe the aircraft lost all hydraulics. Note 7B tail code for VF-671, NARTU (also Marines) at NAS Atlanta. Thanks to all for the additional info.
Cheers Bill