Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 pm 
Senior Moderator

And of course...I'm a bit partial to "Diamond Lil"

Me and Lil @ 1972

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:04 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ztex wrote:
AND
Holy crap Cap Flyer!...you have to stick my fat head in the shot? :lol:

No one would've known it was your head until you pointed it out... :lol: :axe:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Congratulations to the B-24/B-29 squadron! The new nose art looks great. Django's "Ol' 927" artwork was painted beautifully (just like everything he paints!) but I just never cared for the concept. Liberator AM927 has been known as "Diamond Lil" for as long as I can remember, and the name just fits. The lovely lady has a distinct Vargas look, which is very 1940s. She's a little "saucy" but definitely not vulgar (and certainly more tame than some of what's shown on TV these days). I really like the historically correct 48-star neutrality flag, too. Side note -- it's somehow strange to think that there were only 48 states when I was born! :?

Adding Landon's name to the fuselage is very fitting. He was a true gentleman and a heck of a pilot. I've had the pleasure of chatting with him at various aviation gatherings, and he was one of the cockpit crew when I did my flight experience ride in the B-24A (at that time "Ol' 927"). He is missed. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

She looks great..I'm hoping to catch up with her at Hamilton. I've still never seen her since the big makeover..last time I saw Lil was at Thunder '05.

Love the flag, and the ATC logo is a nice touch. The new nose art is very well done..my only (minor) nitpick is that I would have preferred that she have a bit more of a '40s hairstyle and makeup. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Django..his work is great (in fact I preferred his concept for the revived "Lil" nose art) but I for the past five years every time I would refer to the airplane it would be "Diamond L....I mean Ol' 927." That's simply become her identity, and the name most of us have know her by for our entire lives.

Am I the only one who noticed the CAF "Tramp Stamp" is gone? (although I must admit, I didn't mind the one on the B-24, as it was pretty subtle and blended nicely with the camo.)

SN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Steve Nelson wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed the CAF "Tramp Stamp" is gone? (although I must admit, I didn't mind the one on the B-24, as it was pretty

Oh darn, what a shame!! Shh don't tell anybody, maybe Midland and SB won't notice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The tramp stamp will be back, smaller and located aft of the cockpit windows. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I told you to be quite Steve..........................now the Sq. will have to put the stamp back on. Darn it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quote:
The tramp stamp will be back, smaller and located aft of the cockpit windows.

>Dislike!<

Will it at least be similar to the "toned down" version she carried on the rear fuselage?

SN

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just updated myself on this thread and I like the changes to 927. I for one was partial to the older "New" logo but I can learn to live with it. I do have a question. If 927 is going to have names on the side of it to honor people, is their any intent to put Gary's name on the side also, I would have figured that his would have been first.

Guess I am a bit confused that from my end, it seems that the CAF wants to forget, guess maybe their membership should go back to Page 1 of this thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

N3Njeff wrote:
If 927 is going to have names on the side of it to honor people, is their any intent to put Gary's name on the side also, I would have figured that his would have been first.

+1

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 am 

+2

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

+3

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Before throwing anyone under the bus, why don't you guys go to the website and read what the "Honor their Service" program is about?

http://www.cafb29b24.org/index.php?opti ... liccontent

Additionally, I think that putting Gary's name in the place of honor as it would've been on the plane back during the day as the permanent Crew Chief would be more appropriate for him instead of at the back in small letters that semi-blend in with the paint scheme.

Also, no one's forgotten about Gary. They were clear to point out Gary's achievements and efforts in making the airplane what it is today in the presentation, and putting the Neutrality Flags on the airplane is nothing short of a direct result of Gary. As much as we all have an emotional attachment to Gary and his work, this airplane has been around for almost 70 years and he was a big influence on its recent history, but he wasn't the only one to have a big effect on it over the years.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:46 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:
Before throwing anyone under the bus, why don't you guys go to the website and read what the "Honor their Service" program is about?

Additionally, I think that putting Gary's name in the place of honor as it would've been on the plane back during the day as the permanent Crew Chief would be more appropriate for him instead of at the back in small letters that semi-blend in with the paint scheme.

Also, no one's forgotten about Gary. They were clear to point out Gary's achievements and efforts in making the airplane what it is today in the presentation, and putting the Neutrality Flags on the airplane is nothing short of a direct result of Gary. As much as we all have an emotional attachment to Gary and his work, this airplane has been around for almost 70 years and he was a big influence on its recent history, but he wasn't the only one to have a big effect on it over the years.

AMEN brother, AMEN!

http://arizonagroundcrew.org/

1940's Army Air Force ground crew living history
(A 501 C 3 organization)
(IYAMYAS)

"Yes sir, it's suppose to look like that"

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

CAPFlyer wrote:

Well I dont believe we had thrown anyone under the bus as of yet. That certinly sounds like a very nice program and thank you for informing.

Want a stencil with Gary's name??? and who the acting crew chief is or are........... Send me a address on where you want it shipped to. 1/2", 3/4" or 1" letters.
Lets make it happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221  Next