Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:19 pm 

+2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:34 am 

A big thank you to everyone at Duxford. I just found and read this entire thread (it took a few days :roll: ) and was I thoroughly entertained and impressed! As a volunteer working on Lancaster FM212's restoration, I know what you chaps have faced and I applaud the job you all did and continue to do. Looking forward to the final shots!

Don C

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This scheme would not have been my first choice, but I fully understand and respect it. The next challenge is to create the appropriate videos/storyboards/etc that surround the airplane and convey this message successfully.

The AF Museum has added a number of mannequins over the years adjacent to/sitting in aircraft to help tell the story. I can't help but wonder how neat it would be to have a couple aircrew members, the crew chief, and a Tony Starcer type standing, looking up at the blank nose discussing the crew's idea for a name, maybe even holding some sketch ideas. It can all be generic, not identifying any particular unit or aircraft, but if done well, could be a powerful way to tell the larger story.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ken wrote:
This scheme would not have been my first choice, but I fully understand and respect it. The next challenge is to create the appropriate videos/storyboards/etc that surround the airplane and convey this message successfully.

The AF Museum has added a number of mannequins over the years adjacent to/sitting in aircraft to help tell the story. I can't help but wonder how neat it would be to have a couple aircrew members, the crew chief, and a Tony Starcer type standing, looking up at the blank nose discussing the crew's idea for a name, maybe even holding some sketch ideas. It can all be generic, not identifying any particular unit or aircraft, but if done well, could be a powerful way to tell the larger story.

Ken

Like with a fistful of popular Vargas pin ups and a tray of 10 or 12 tins of various colors??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like that idea. Great job by the restoration team!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Another "+1" for Ken's idea above! Great thinking!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:51 pm 

Duxford Monday June 25th:

Many thanks for the recent positive comments, I am sure they will be a boost to the staff and volunteers as they enter the final stretch of a demanding project. There is already a lot of forward planning for the AAM refit, so it's a good time to put forward presentation ideas.
Updates may be a little slow for a while, there's so much going on as Duxford prepares for the 2012 Flying Legends Airshow next weekend. Lots of visitors will be calling in at the American Air Museum to check on progress.

Here's two shots of the tailplane being fitted last week:

Another view of the top turret has come to hand:

One of the replica guns waiting for a finished chin turret:

Work on the rudder:

Two stages of an elevator covering:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:15 pm 

I haven't had a chance to drop in for a while I'm afraid.
Did the team manage to source the interior lamps they were after?

All the best,
PB

401BG Association Historian & Honorary Life Member
401BG Historical Society (UK) Member
1st Air Division HQ Historical Society (UK) Founder Member
Director of Archives & Collections, Airfield Research Group Archive, Alconbury
RAF Alconbury Base Historian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dear WIXers,
Having ALL the fun at Duxford. They even let me tell them how to installl the flaps all wrong. Wish YOU were here! :D

But seriously, the progress made on the plane is phenomenal. I saw her last year while they were still stripping paint and she was up on blocks.
Now she is back on wheels and standing proud!

I am on borrowed computing equipage, so pictures will have to wait, but I do have a snapshot or two to share when I get back to the NEW world.

Send Money,

SPANNER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 pm 

I don`t want to put down the awesome job they are doing or to criticize, but i have a question.

Aren`t the tail numbers usually higher on the vertical stabilizer and totally contained on the removable portion of the stab? (Sorry for using what is probably incorrect terminology, but i don`t know what else to call it). I`ve never seen the leading digit on the non-removable portion, except in some post war photos where they added a "0-" to the serial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 am 

The military serial number was placed on the vertical stabilizer, not the rudder. The position in the photos appears correct to my untrained eyes.

The museum workers and volunteers are doing a wonderful job on this aircraft.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm 

Duxford Saturday June 30th:

Duxford's annual spectacular Flying Legends airshow had many attractions for warbird fans, and thousands of spectators checked out the progress on the B-17. A great collection of contemporary photos, maps, documents and other items was also on display. Most poignant was this set of uniforms, an almost ghostly reminder of the many crews who went missing. Notice the colour variations.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:28 am 

Hi Spanner,I'll send you some cash,just need your Nigerian bank account number,try not to enjoy yourself too much,cheers,Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:00 am 

Duxford Wednesday July 4th:

I mentioned that '735 now has all four props installed. Here are some shots of the work being done:

Last weekend at the Flying Legends airshow, there was a constant line of interested visitors in the AAM:

Potential crew member or veteran ball-turret gunner?
(Hitchcock moment bottom left!)

The flap installation was not straightforward, but I understand expert transatlantic advice was at hand:

And finally, to mark today's date:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 pm 

David - I forgot to thank you for the extra top turret pics - in fact I have only just found them! Typically I have already painted the top turret on my 1/32 build....I will have to go back & re-do some areas haha

so THANKS

I have a new request - can you please get some pics of both sides of bulkhead 6 (ie directly in front of the ball turret position) - I've found some from restorations, but not clear enough - and I want to know for sure what fixtures were mounted to it. If you can help that would be great!

thanks again for your time

Rich

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next