Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'd like to make this the official Build Thread for the Desert Rat/Tangerine.

Here are the first photos of many to come. It is our hope that this thread and our facebook page will help to
dispel some ideas that have floated around that plane isn't that far along etc.

enjoy

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/12595DesertRat

photos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for posting these shots - first photos I've ever seen of the actual Desert Rat name on the plane. Keep 'em coming!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 pm 

Our facebook page has a nice collection of photos starting from last year. A few of us update it regularly with progress reports. Currently work is focused on the nose section with reskinning on the right side. Bulkhead 3 is finally being riveted together, and new stringers being installed. Mike and Chris are working on the very bottom skin under the chin. It wont be long before the front fuse will be complete. The aft end needs all the bulkhead parts pressed and treated and the final assembly can be completed too. The left stab is in place too, and it fit. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:36 pm 

I've been following yall's work on fb for sometime now and i am always excited to see updates. just in the 5 months or so i've been following, it has come a long ways it seems. Please do be sure to let us know on here and fb about when your e-store is up. i remember a post on there about T-shirts :). I'd make a good guess there would be a good number of people on here interested as i know i am and i'm sure others would be :) keep up the great work.

Travis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 am 

Thanks TriangleP! I'll be doing some postings over the next few days showing the progress made over the past year or so. (a lot of work has been done externally these past 12 months and really gives a good sense of how things are going.) and from now on we'll try to cross post our facebook postings to here at the same time.

now if we can get this thread put as a sticky near the top.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Glad to see the Rat' here on WIX. I've been following over on Aerovintage and Facebook.

Thanks for sharing the progress on this fascinating project. 8)

I was very excitied to hear about the discovery of the "Tangerine" nose art.

Last edited by TAdan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:35 am 

Travisd80elcam wrote:
............when your e-store is up. i remember a post on there about T-shirts :).
Travis

??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 am 

ktst97

there was mention on the Desert Rat FB page by the moderators, that they were working on setting up an e-store to sell t-shirts and such. I think it was posted on their FB page about 3 maybe 4 months ago. I know I had commented stating I would be interested. Hope that clears up your ?

Travis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Travis,
Thanks for your post! I'm sure this will become one of my favorite threads on WIX. Please keep the photos coming. Even if some of us aren't posting, rest assured that we're looking and reading with great interest!

kevin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:56 am 

hey guys
thanks for the sticky!!!! we will do our best to stay worthy of having that status. as for the e-store and tshirts and such. we are working on it. the problem is none of us work with webpages and websites for a living. we've been trying to put a paypal donation link on our facebook page but we seem to get it to work. we do have t-shirts for sale and we can come up with some kind of workaround.

we have them in many colors and sizes

James

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:32 pm 

Here are a few more various photos of the work that's being done or has been done in the past few months

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 pm 

Travisd80elcam wrote:
ktst97

there was mention on the Desert Rat FB page by the moderators, that they were working on setting up an e-store to sell t-shirts and such. I think it was posted on their FB page about 3 maybe 4 months ago. I know I had commented stating I would be interested. Hope that clears up your ?

Travis

Thanks, Travis
I located this from 2/04/12:
"Coming to this page soon, soon as we can figure out how to do it, Paypal will be available for donations and purchases. We will soon have a small selection of memorabilia for purchase of the Rat!"

Will send PayPal donation when those folks are ready for such.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:24 am 

Just wanted to let everyone know that last night the cargo floor was removed from the nose of plane. If you dont know the Desert Rat/Tangerine was converted in 1943 to the xc-108A. a cargo and troop carrier for use in the CBI theater. this caused major changes to the interior of the aircraft including adding a floor that was as wide as the aircraft and as long. As we work on each section, removing the floor is a major task as it is made up of many sections and riveted to itself and the skin of the airplane. This removal is a huge step in fixing all the damage done from bulkhead 3 forward, and will go a long way to finishing the work needed to re-attach the nose at bulkhead 3.

Pictures of this area will be posted asap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm 

Amazing Progress made since the last time I saw her. We stopped by on our way to Oshkosh last year and Mike gave us a tour of the facility and the work in progress. I highly recommend that anyone traveling in the Chicago, Rockford area stop by and see it in person. It's not everyday you get to see a B-17 being restored in the countryside!

Pictures from our visit last year.
http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41986

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Awesome! Keep the updates coming. :drink3: :drink3:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next