Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scott, This B-17 has been based at the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum in Geneseo,NY for 4 years now give or take. It is still owned by the Tallichet family and remains active on the airshow circuit. http://www.1941hag.org

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:50 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Pat Carry wrote:
Scott, This B-17 has been based at the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum in Geneseo,NY for 4 years now give or take. It is still owned by the Tallichet family and remains active on the airshow circuit. http://www.1941hag.org

thanks Pat

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm 

Pat Carry wrote:

Thank you, nice to see Red Tail in the air.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:07 pm 

Pat Carry wrote:

A bit of an update.. Movie Memphis Belle, s/n 44-83546, civil reg. N3703G, is now being operated by the Liberty Foundation. They started leasing the plane in mid 2012 to help raise funds for two B-17 restorations currently in progress, one of which will incorporate parts from Liberty Belle.

Movie Memphis Belle is near and dear to me.. as my father flew this plane when it was a VB-17G in 1954 on a number of occasions. I've been lucky enough to volunteer with the Liberty Foundation and have flown on Junior (as I call Movie Memphis Belle, since the original Memphis Belle is still around.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:23 pm 

Photo that I took in Baltimore in August 2012, whilst waiting for Junior to come back so that I could take another flight of passengers up -

And a photo of Junior that I took earlier this year, September, in Philadelphia -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:32 am 

Here's the latest on 44-83546, from a press release by the National Warplane Museum:

Quote:
The National Warplane Museum announced and celebrated the newest aircraft addition to the fleet based and operated in Geneseo, NY. After a 4 year tour, the B-17, The Movie Memphis Belle, has returned home. Following her journey and arrival at Geneseo, annual maintenance routines will be commenced to bring her to full operating condition for the 2016 flying season.

The Movie Memphis Belle was the star of the 1990 Hollywood film, “The Memphis Belle” featuring an all- star cast including Matthew Modine, Tate Donovan, Harry Connick, Jr. and John Lithgow. The film was a fictionalized story of the 25th and last mission of the Memphis Belle during World War II while based in England.

Manufactured by Boeing and primarily operated by the Army 8th Airforce during WWII, the B-17’s were the first heavy bombers to penetrate Germany in January 1943.

The Memphis Belle and her crew were not only famous for being the first B-17 crew to successfully complete the typical 25 mission tour of duty, but were also able to return from every mission with every member of their crew.

During her long term residence at National Warplane Museum, The Movie Memphis Belle will be on display to the public, available for tours and eventually will provide (pending FAA approval) Living History Flight Experiences. The Movie Memphis Belle will continue her work here in Geneseo, NY, as well as touring the air show circuit and will be visiting additional aviation, museum and tourism venues throughout the east coast, ensuring that the historical legacies of the aircraft and the Veterans who flew with them, are kept alive and at the forefront of the minds of our nation’s youth and leaders of tomorrow.

“The return of The Movie Memphis Belle speaks well for the hard work that the museum staff and its members have done over the last several years. Having this “flagship of the warbird fleet” based in Geneseo is a huge step forward in our  ability to fulfil our mission of making history and sacrifice come alive for future generations.” – Austin Wadsworth, President, National Warplane Museum

“The Movie Memphis Belle is one of only 10 or 11 B-17’s still flying.  It is a national treasure and we are so lucky to have it back at the NWM in Geneseo. As one of the crew members, I can’t wait to get it back in service.” – Craig Johnson, B-17 Pilot, National Warplane Museum

“To have this airplane back at The National Warplane Museum is wonderful. When I started here 12 years ago, the B-17 was the first plane I worked on. I worked for Dave Tallichet for a time, taking care of the “17”. I consider it an honor to be able to take care of it for his son, John and the Tallichet family, to keep Dave’s dream alive.” – Michael Lindsay, National Warplane Museum

“The addition of The Movie Memphis Belle to the National Warplane Museum’s already impressive collection will only continue the momentum of drawing visitors to Livingston County and the Finger Lakes region who are interested in both history and aviation. We already anticipate an influx of visitors to come and view this aircraft in the upcoming months and are excited about the impact on tourism that this priceless artifact will have in drawing people to the area.” – Elissa Leuer, Director of Tourism & Marketing, Livingston County Chamber of Commerce

“News that the B17, The Movie Memphis Belle, is returning to the National Warplane Museum in Geneseo is a tremendous development,” said Congressman Collins. “The plane’s arrival will be a great addition to the museum’s world-class collection, and will provide yet another reason for tourists to visit the Finger Lakes and Western New York. I want to thank the men and women at the Warplane Museum for their hard work and constant advocacy in making this museum a true must-see destination.” – Congressman Chris Collins, 27th District, NY

There's some videos of the B-17 'coming home' too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVfYmwndUus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNZSEr2xYB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B8uST9H3-Y

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Updated
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b17registry/b17-4483546.html

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ