Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 pm 

In 2007 a P51 D Mustang called Lou IV was damaged in an unfortunate accident in Camarilla, California. Become a fan to help us restore this majestic fighter!

Flying the P-51 D has been a lifelong dream for Terry Dieno, President of Fast Toys For Boys. Terry's love for aviation heated up when he acquired his pilot's license in 1973. This was the beginning of a lengthy career in commercial crop spraying, pipeline patrol, and aerobatics became a passion in the Yak and Pitts Special. LOU IV is one of the most photographed fighters of WWII because Major Thomas offered to fly for the picture taking press from a base in Italy.

The rebuilding of Lou IV is a task of huge magnitude and progressing slowly. The wings are now totally rebuilt, the new fuselage is a work in progress, and the tail cone and many smaller components are nearing completion.

You can easy follow the rebuild on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/restorelouiv or check out our website http://www.restorelouiv.com

Happy flying from the Restore LOU IV Team!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 pm 

Hi LOU IV,great work on the rebuild,will be great to see it airborne again,that scheme is THE mustang scheme I remember from my modelling days as a kid.Just sayin' though,that second pic will be gut wrenching for some!Best regards,Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm 

forgive my ignorance, but what is the story about the crash?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm 

wingman1 wrote:
forgive my ignorance, but what is the story about the crash?

Here is a link to a news article about the crash http://www.airport-data.com/articles/view/N51TK-1944-F-51D-MUSTANG-Crashes-on-First-Solo-Flight-Fatal-Rev-3:50.html

Unfortunately pilot John McKittrick was fatally injured

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:01 pm 

Really wish the team all the very best - will be great to see her back in the air again.

Only a minor point but the original pilot was Col. Thomas Christian who was flying from Bottisham, England.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:40 pm 

Silly question, but are you gonna keep the blue upper surfaces?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm 

B-17 guy wrote:
Silly question, but are you gonna keep the blue upper surfaces?

There hasn't been a final decision made yet and we will probably let our fans decide in the end.

Keep informed by following us on Facebook or Twitter!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Blue vs O.D. is a tough call, the O.D would be historically accurate but blue would pay homage to its warbird heritage. For me Blue Lou is the famous warbird that I grew up seeing in books and posters. (I even had a big 3x4 poster hanging up in my bedroom). I can see why you would want to do both... I guess it all depends on what type of restoration you are doing. If you want historically accurate, than go O.D. If you want lighthearted/fun warbird, than go blue. :wink: Glad I don't have to make the decision. :lol:

Either way I'm sure it will look great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Its californication so it will most likely be blue and not O.D.Flame away hotrodders.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:07 pm 

Inside LOU IV, for more pics http://www.facebook.com/restorelouiv

All the best,

Restore LOU IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 pm 

Wonderful to see this Mustang rebuilt. It was the first Mustang I had the privilege to ride in when Chuck and Bev flew it down to Destin Fla to the 1999 361stFG reunion.
Was so saddened to hear of the crash and the loss of John McKittrick. I had exchanged several emails with him as he was very interested in the history of the original LOU IV and her pilot Col. Thomas Christian. I won't get into the blue/green controversy, I have my convictions on that after many years of research of that aircraft.
But if I can be of help with the history of the original LOU IV and her pilot please feel free to contact me anytime. Spent much time with veterans of the group of which my father was one of.
Look forward to seeing her in the air again

CraigQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 am 

CraigQ wrote:
Wonderful to see this Mustang rebuilt. It was the first Mustang I had the privilege to ride in when Chuck and Bev flew it down to Destin Fla to the 1999 361stFG reunion.
Was so saddened to hear of the crash and the loss of John McKittrick. I had exchanged several emails with him as he was very interested in the history of the original LOU IV and her pilot Col. Thomas Christian. I won't get into the blue/green controversy, I have my convictions on that after many years of research of that aircraft.
But if I can be of help with the history of the original LOU IV and her pilot please feel free to contact me anytime. Spent much time with veterans of the group of which my father was one of.
Look forward to seeing her in the air again

CraigQ

Hello Craig. I hope all is well in Arkansas. I miss having my Go-To guy back here.

Glad to see LOU IV being returned to flight. I still have a copy of the Oshkosh '82 program that shows her on the cover. As for the paint scheme? I'd vote for OD. Ever since reading about the restoration of "HAPPY JACK'S GO BUGGY", I love seeing P-51s returned to exact military configuration.

Chappie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:40 am 

Terry and the boys picking up some parts

For more photos, check out our Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/restorelouiv

Thanks,

Restore LOU IV Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

Very cool and only one Province away from me! Let me know if you need a floor sweeper ;)
Good luck on your project, looking great so far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hasn't someone already refinished their Mustang as an olive drab "LOU IV" recently?

http://www.robmears.com