Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Is there a half size Martin flying boat in a museum in the Baltimore area? Was a factory proof of concept in WW2. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:53 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The Smithsonian had a small, but smaller than 1/2 size mariner in the buildings at the Garber facility. It had a motor and props and I think it was built to test the hull on water. Not sure if it actually flew. It is probably that one.
Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

http://media.photobucket.com/image/mart ... 47fff3.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 am 

^^ Now that would be fun! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Close, but no flying boat. What we have here in the city are:

1. The "Tadpole Clipper" which was the small proof of hull for the PBM Mariner- it is powered by an early Martin 4 cylinder engine and is about the size of a Cessna 150. It is located in the Museum of Science and Industry near Fort McHenry.

2. The mockup of a Martin 130 fuselage and wing section that Disney built for a movie. This is in the GLM Museum.

3. The museum also has the original wind-tunnel model for the Mars. Sitting in a yard nearby also owned by the museum are the remains of the rear fuselage and tail of the P6M. Seamaster.

We need a flying boat in Baltimore again!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 am 

mike furline wrote:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/martin%20mariner%20hull%20test%20aircraft/Coridano/b347fff3.jpg

Martin 162-A
Aerofiles wrote:
162-A 1937 = 1pChwMFb; one 120hp Martin (Chevrolet) 333 belt-driving two propellers on the wings. 1/4-scale prototype of USN XPBM-1 Mariner for use in wind-tunnel and other testing. POP: 1, which flew successfully [NX19168]. Donated to Smithsonian Institution, it gathered dust there until a recent restoration by volunteers; transferred to Baltimore Museum of Industry for display.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

US aircraft makers never adopted the small scale POC-concept like the UK did.
In the UK they had the AVRO 707 series, a smal scale Short Stirling and a few others.
Anyone know why?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Time for some enterprising individual to build one like the guy building the 1/2 scale B-17!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just a guess would be the availability of the NACA large scale wind tunnels at Ames that would allow for testing models and airplanes to 50' span. The RAE tunnels at Farnborough were considerably smaller, so reduced scale POC aircraft would make more sense.

I don't think anyone ever put together a wake tank big enough, or fast enough, to test flying boat hulls, so reduced scale models there is the only way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

shrike wrote:
Just a guess would be the availability of the NACA large scale wind tunnels at Ames that would allow for testing models and airplanes to 50' span. The RAE tunnels at Farnborough were considerably smaller, so reduced scale POC aircraft would make more sense.

I don't think anyone ever put together a wake tank big enough, or fast enough, to test flying boat hulls, so reduced scale models there is the only way to go.

Great answer, thanks.

RE: Flying boats and amphibs...any physics majors out there who could answer whether results from a reduced scale flying boat have to take into account the fact that water drops, waves, etc are not reduced in size?

Another reduced scale POC: the Japanese modified a Grumman Albatross into a POC for the Shin Meiwa series.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

At the Pima museum is the 'Petulant Porpoise', a Grumman Widgeon with interchangeable hull sections for hull research.

By the time you start working with large scale models, water is predictably 'scalable'. Hydrodynamics has been studied longer than aerodynamics, so there are fewer big surprises.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

A fluid is a fluid is a fluid. That ought to be scalable using Reynolds number...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The "Tadpole Clipper" is actually a 3/8th scale model of the PBM. Unlike the production variant, it has a flat tail instead of the "V" tail. Apparently, at one point, it was fitted with the V tail and then reverted back to the flat one, but no one could locate the second tail. Even though it is reported differently, the volunteer who led the restoration effort told me it is powered by a Chevrolet engine.

The volunteer that led the effort to restore the Tadpole Clipper is now one of the core guys at Jack Kosko's facility. (Gene is his first name...not sure of the last) I'm not sure, but this may have been one of the early projects Jack was involved in prior to their first TBM restoration. The crew up at Jack's referred to it simply as "the seaplane".

I saw it the first time I performed at the Museum of Industry in the late 90s. I was blown away that it was still extant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Tadpole Clipper is the one I was thinking of. We were at the Martin Museum and Lockheed Martin HQ this weekend with the 1911 Curtiss pusher masquerading as a 1912 Martin for the L-M centennial, and none of the museum guys knew about the little flying boat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I talked to Gene today about the Tadpole Clipper when I was up at Jack's place working on the TBM (pics to follow soon!). He cleared up a few things for me:

1. The "Tadpole Clipper" is still currently owned by the NASM but on display at the Baltimore Museum of Industry. The group that restored it found it on the floor at Garber and offered to fix it up. It was restored in a warehouse on Key Highway in Baltimore near the BMI. This was Gene's first venture into restoring aircraft and did not have anything to do with Jack or the TBMs.

2. The engine was of Chevrolet design, but built by Martin. It is an air-cooled eight cylinder engine installed inverted in the aircraft.
There is ducting on top of the fuselage for cooling.

3. Wingspan is 47 feet. Keep in mind it is a 3/8ths scale model. Compare that to the full-sized TBM's wingspan of 54 feet.

4. It apparently did fly a few times as a test bed, however, it was never flown post-restoration.

5. I was correct about the different tails being attached to the plane. By the time they found evidence of the plane having the V-tail which was later incorporated into the production PBM, the restoration had already past the point where they could change the horizontal tail.

It's definitely a nifty little bird and the Baltimore Museum of Industry is a pretty cool museum to visit. It's worth the side trip for anyone venutring to the D.C. / Baltimore area.