Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 pm 

========== Both were telling me how yall used to hang the external ordnance and then paint it black. Was it a spray paint or globbed on with a brush?
========
Can't take credit for the painting of the ordnance. Far as I can remember, that started after I left.

========== what would a 100 pounder typically have back in your day when they used some small ones on the front racks?

As I can recall, most of the 100 pounders had either TNT or Tritonal filler. I think the 500 pounders had the Comp B. Of the three, I think Comp B became less stable with age, but all three were far more stable than the dynamite available at the time. When I was at Hurlburt, we would have a morning formation to discuss pertinent things, and I remember one in particular where they cautioned us to handle the Comp B more carefully. Seems there had been an accident somewhere, (they didn't say it it was a military installation or at an arsenal) where a 500 pounder had been accidentally "dropped" 4 feet, and had exploded, killing several people. It got our attention because we had not been handling them with the caution we probably should have been. Never heard anymore details about the accident. The iron bombs were typicaly very safe without the booster or fuze installed, and still fairly reliable even when fuzed up.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

NImrodA26 wrote:
===========Hopefully someday the one moved from Rockford to Vincennes will be as nice as yours is now!!!!!!

Question: What is "the one" moved from Rockford? Are we talking about Rockford, Illinois? Curious.

Yep the one that was derelict at the Rockford Illinois airport. We disassembled it and moved it to Vincennes Indiana. Now it is just waiting to be reassembled. :drink3: :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 am 

Thanks, Cooper. Reason I asked was that I had tried to keep track of the remains of B-26K 17671, which was scrapped at Florence, S.C. in 1999. I heard a report that the tail section of it was spotted at Rockford, Ill. Just wondering if you are the ones that got it?
Thanks,
Randy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:35 pm 

cooper9411 wrote:
NImrodA26 wrote:
===========Hopefully someday the one moved from Rockford to Vincennes will be as nice as yours is now!!!!!!

Question: What is "the one" moved from Rockford? Are we talking about Rockford, Illinois? Curious.

Yep the one that was derelict at the Rockford Illinois airport. We disassembled it and moved it to Vincennes Indiana. Now it is just waiting to be reassembled. :drink3: :drink3:

Where is the display in Vincennes? I was born in Lawrenceville and need a reason to go back. Is the airplane stored at George Field or O'Niel's? Or on the Indiana side?
Chris...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It is currently in storage at the Indiana Military Museum. We are planning on reassembling it sometime this month or next month. Also, O'neal airport is no more! It has been gone for a few years now. But, the Lockheed T-33 that is at the museum is the one that sat out in the weeds at O'neal for many years before I took it apart and moved it to the original location of the museum on Old Bruceville Rd. and reassembled it. The museum has moved to a new location closer to the center of town. The museum has a very extensive collection so if you get a chance check it out. There are 2 Cessna 310's sitting at the hangar that is left at O'neal and I know the onwer of the planes and we just talked about going there and removing the props, engines, gear and then scrapping the remainder. :drink3: :drink3: :drink3:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

While I was off to NM for the week, the team accomplished several tasks in preparation for making Kay's first appearance in public for our FALL Fling on 13 OCT at Meacham along with all of the other vintage airplanes and cars in the show. Here, Arnold has tested out some fittings for the bomb bay rack and some of our practice bombs we plan to hang in there for the show. Despite the rain, the team made a lot of progress. Got some very good reports from the real JR about this. Don't forget to come visit us at the B-25 and the A-26 at FALL Fling!! Cheers, the other JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ray got with the program on patching some of the "bullet holes" in the side of the fuselage! Actually, we don't know what caused this one, but it has all of the appearance of one. Patched it is though thanks to the fine workmanship that Ray has brought to the project. We had to kid one of the Nimrods who came to our Spring mini-reunion that he brought back more than the reported 4 airplanes with lots of holes in them from AAA. His nickname was "Magnet A$$"! Kay makes number five according to our calculus. I don't know what that word means, but I just like the sound of it. :-) Thanks Ken.... JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Tim, Arnold and Rand are buttoning up the nacelle area for our move down the ramp for FALL Fling on Oct 13 and also for the Vintage Flying Museum's 1940's Hangar Dance on Oct 20. Our B-25 will be the backdrop for the orchestra and the rest of the hangar will be emptied to make room for all of the fun. Be sure to come to both. The DC-3 will be giving rides at both events. http://www.gga1.org Please support our fund raisers to help restore and keep our airplanes flying! Thanks, JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Lou and Strat are closing another hole in the fuselage, but we know the origin of this one. It was a very minor bit of hangar rash. We certainly appreciate the talents these guys bring to the team. When we asked for volunteers and got all of these new guys, it was a real shot in the arm to move the project along. If there are any others out there who would like to join us, come see us on any Saturday morning at the Meacham hangar. We are at the point of needing more round engine talent! Thanks, JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

External racks are being temporarily hung on the wings just to have some place to store them when we have to move everything out of the hangar for the 40's dance. Steve, Denis, Dave L. and Big Mike are lifting these up. Denis has been doing a nice job of overhauling the racks and getting them ready for permanent installation. The two inboard racks have fittings for a 230 gal fuel tank and we would sure like to find some functional tanks for the restoration. Anybody know the code for finding these? JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here Agent T is incognito while shopping for supplies for K!! See if you can find his camo position. JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

And yes, I really did take a week of vacation to join my family in NM and go trout fishing. Fishing was a little slower than usual due to freezing rain and sleet one day. Mainly because I didn't want to be out in it!!! Anyway, the real JR kept me posted on the happenings of the team and it is so nice to have a leader like JR to keep things moving. We really appreciate his effots to restore K to flight. We can all be proud of the team's efforts!! Thanks JR... from the other JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

While I was away, Hawkeye and eldest son brought this home to see if momma would let them keep it. No word on the result yet, but the rest of us think this would make an excellent crew car for the A26 team. It is a 1980 Vette with some restoration work needed. We could work a deal, huh, Hawkeye?? That part about it being for son is not set in concrete, is it?? How bout bringing it over for Fall Fling at Meacham Field on the 13th of OCT? :supz: Fall Fling is one of the October fund raisers to keep our airplanes flying and restore the others such as K. Please help us out by attending and enjoying the vintage planes and cars! Our museum is funded entirely by tax deductible donations and these sorts of events. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our sheetmetal guys are in full swing to prep Kay for her first public debut at Fall Fling coming up on the 13th at Meacham Field. She won't have her make up on yet, but come by and say hi as she will be on display along with our B-25 and DC-3. You can grab a seat on the DC-3 for a ride over downtown Ft Worth. Reservations info can be found on our website: http://www.gga1.org. Call Dana for more info at the number on the website. Special Kay will be joined by several military static displays, vintage aircraft and don't forget the vintage car show. Gates open at 9 am and the party runs until 6 pm. There isn't a better way for airplane and car lovers to spend a nice Saturday in October. Your support means we can continue to restore, maintain and fly our warbirds to honor those who flew and maintained them. Thanks! JR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 am 

...............an excellent crew car for the A26 team. It is a 1980 Vette

Wow, what a "Follow Me" vehicle that would make!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 276  Next