Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Looks fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am 

Thanks guys, it hasn't been fun for me but I guess it comes with being over the winter maint program this yr. I've had to do the paperwork and check 4 mechanics an 4 apprentices(from aim) work so I didn't get to do as muh hands on work as I wanted but we got as much done in the time allotted to us(we do have some new plane coming in soon and need the hangar space), so I'm proud of my team of guys and the work we were able to get done beyond just the inspection. We have more things in store and going on but I'll get to those when they are done, gotta keep ya on your toes waiting.

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lmritger wrote:
Jon, that interior color looks dead-nuts accurate... Dull Dark Green. Amazingly, despite it's widespread use during the war in B-17s, B-24s, P-47s and other aircraft, *NO ONE* makes a good match in any commercially available model paint- closest out there is Model Master's Euro 1 NATO Green (I think that's what it's called), and that's too light.

Your batch looks outstanding- nice work, man!

Lynn

you can get close (altho it's a metallic color) using DUPLI-COLOR perfect match BFM 0327 Deep Jewel Green -, a popular color on FORD TAURUS and MERCURY SABLE's in the early 90's Since it's an interior application, I doubt the metallic aspects would show that much, and it's available @ the local POOP BOYS AUTO PARTS in small touch up vials for pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I had the opportunity to visit Jon out at the MAM this past weekend and he gave my dad and I the "quarter tour" of Chuckie, showing what's been accomplished during this maintenance period. He and his crew have done some tremendous work under a very tight timeline, and they have some very big and exciting plans for her continuing emergence into a more accurate wartime configuration.

Thanks again Jon, we had a great time, and you guys are doing fantastic work! And that Dull Dark Green really does look dead-on. :)

Lynn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:56 pm 

Ready for her flight to Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 am 

Jon,

We are in the process of restoring the ball turret on our B-17 The Lacey Lady. Would you guys have any ball turret parts?

Sean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Welcome, Sean! I know that lots of us would love to see a series of photos from the work you folks are doing on your B-17. If you have time, start a new thread on your B-17 and post away! We would love to follow along... You might also consider contacting Al Stix, on this board, who has a ton of turret parts. Not sure about ball turret parts, but he is the acknowledged king of turret parts here...

kevin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 am 

Bump :-)

Curious guys, any new updates since the last post? Just went through these again, and the work is top notch. Great work all around! Very impressed.

- Dennis S.
Westminster, CO USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm 

Only update I know of is that Chuckie is living in Tillamook Oregon at the moment and will be moving to Madras Oregon in the Summer which was an old B-17 training base. The Aircraft is owned now by Jack Erickson and is part of his collection. You can go on the museum Facebook page and see some current pictures.

Scott.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:22 pm 
Senior Moderator

This little announcement was on FB today...via the Artist Gary Velasco. (latest Diamond Lil paint)

Quote:
"Happy to announce that I will be painting the nose art on the newly acquired B-17 at Tillamook Air Museum(TAM). The city of Madres, OR and TAM has commissioned me to work with Lyle Jansma to design the "Madras Maiden" nose art, then I will come out in June to paint it... Lots of other great stuff happening as the season begins."

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:40 am 

lmritger wrote:
Jon, that interior color looks dead-nuts accurate... Dull Dark Green. Amazingly, despite it's widespread use during the war in B-17s, B-24s, P-47s and other aircraft, *NO ONE* makes a good match in any commercially available model paint- closest out there is Model Master's Euro 1 NATO Green (I think that's what it's called), and that's too light.

Your batch looks outstanding- nice work, man!

Lynn

I saw a color while browsing through Wally World the other day and thought of this thread. There is a Krylon color that might be very close, although I am not sure if you guys have seen it, Satin Hunter Green.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRYLON-DUAL-PAI ... 8632&rt=nc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34