Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Florida B-17s!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 am 

Have you any pictures of the Dove or it's co ordinates on Google Earth?

Thanks Cking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am 

Find the Sebring airport and move south, the Dove is in the mud at the north end of the lake.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:24 pm 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChristopherDeshongRacing
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisDRacing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

davidwomacks wrote:
I have a house in Lake Placid about 20 min to the south of Sebring and have been wanting to go wreck hunting around there for years. I will say there is an intact dehaviland Dove in lake Istapoka to the south of the Sebring airport I've seen it and it can be seen in google earth. Any wrecks other wrecks around me?

There's a B-17 in Lake Wales if your intrested...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 am 

Wildchild wrote:

Awww! Poor old thing. Still very difficult to spot on Google earth too.

Rgds Cking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wildchild wrote:
I'm sorry, but thats the most selfish thing to do ever... soon they will end up with a pile of rust and then think that maybe they should have sold it.

Most people like that never regret holding onto that kind of thing. I know of someone who had an extremely rare old sports car on his farm. Not a day would go by when someone would knock on the door asking to buy it. The guy got fed up with them all and he hauled it into his barn, making sure you could see it from the road. After he found a few people who'd heard of it peeping into his barn windows looking for it, he actually strung barbed wire all the way around it. He kept saying he'd 'get to it someday' but he was in his 70s and nobody believed he'd do anything with it.
Didn't stop people from calling, showing up at all hours of the day. The last straw came one afternoon when someone really berated him for being so 'selfish' by not selling something he'd clearly never do anything with. I actually saw this happen as I was friends with the guy next door to this old guy, the old man took a blowtorch and set the barn on fire. When the fire department showed up (he didn't call them), he refused to let them put it out. The car was a twisted, charred hulk when it was over. My friend did ask him months later after the furor died down, the old guy said he just got fed up with all the people telling him he didn't have the right to do whatever he wanted with his own property.
And in that sense, I can't really say I could say he was wrong in that regard.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:26 pm 

p51 wrote:
Wildchild wrote:
I'm sorry, but thats the most selfish thing to do ever... soon they will end up with a pile of rust and then think that maybe they should have sold it.

Most people like that never regret holding onto that kind of thing. I know of someone who had an extremely rare old sports car on his farm. Not a day would go by when someone would knock on the door asking to buy it. The guy got fed up with them all and he hauled it into his barn, making sure you could see it from the road. After he found a few people who'd heard of it peeping into his barn windows looking for it, he actually strung barbed wire all the way around it. He kept saying he'd 'get to it someday' but he was in his 70s and nobody believed he'd do anything with it.
Didn't stop people from calling, showing up at all hours of the day. The last straw came one afternoon when someone really berated him for being so 'selfish' by not selling something he'd clearly never do anything with. I actually saw this happen as I was friends with the guy next door to this old guy, the old man took a blowtorch and set the barn on fire. When the fire department showed up (he didn't call them), he refused to let them put it out. The car was a twisted, charred hulk when it was over. My friend did ask him months later after the furor died down, the old guy said he just got fed up with all the people telling him he didn't have the right to do whatever he wanted with his own property.

:shock: :-x

It may have been his property, but people have a right to ask for the car. I just don't understand why some people do stuff like that! where are their brains??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:46 pm 

cptsmith wrote:
Find the Sebring airport and move south, the Dove is in the mud at the north end of the lake.

hell, go take the motors and cowlings off that ol girl!........you locals!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wildchild wrote:
p51 wrote:
Wildchild wrote:

:shock: :-x

It may have been his property, but people have a right to ask for the car. I just don't understand why some people do stuff like that! where are their brains??

It becomes a shrine-'Tommy's room is just the way he left it when he went to Viet Nam, in 1967, and we wouldn't dream of ever changing it'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm 

I understand the whole shrine thing. But those people wouldn't "torch" Tommy's room because someone told them they couldn't leave it like it was. And if he loved it so much then why destroy it?

On the other hand I do understand part of his feelings. I have a 1971 Pontiac GTO. A documented 4sp 455HO...that just plain looks horrible with all it's Ohio "petina". Not a month goes by without someone knocking on the door asking me to sell my car.

But ya know; I used to run a GTO restoration business once a pone a time. When I open the garage and show them all the NOS sheetmetal and parts; the rebuilt and bagged engine. The overhauled transmission; the complete interior package, ect,ect. and then tell them it is my retirement project in about 8 years. Well; I usually get some insulting low ball offer. Most want to give me less for the whole project than I have in the Engine! I too have had people tell me I didn't have a right to not sell to them. Heck, I had a guy show up with his trailer, unannounced and unasked, to pick my 69 RAIV TA because he thought I should sell to him because he was rich and a big name in the hobby. I mean wow...what hubris.

I agree that most people are respectful and sure do have a right to knock on my door and ask in a respectful manner about my property. But you do meet those idiots that really light your fuse. Lol, but on the hand I wouldn't set my car on fire just to spite some total stranger!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:03 pm 

gto guy- send me a pm- i want to send u a pic of a gto by my house for sale thats been sitting since the 70s that is now up for sale with 30 other early camaros in a collection i found if your interested i can put u in touch with the guy- im not a gto man and dont know any who are. later. cameron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am 

camshaw wrote:
cptsmith wrote:

heck, go take the motors and cowlings off that ol girl!........you locals!

Gahhh Ill have to ask my dad to do that. Last time I heard though the wings were gone...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:01 am 

Heck, I think I would do the same thing as the guy with the old car! I have aircraft parts that I've tried to sell, but since I own it it's worth $100 but if they owned it, it would be worth $1000. And oh by the way, you have to pay shipping. These days I just throw out old parts I don't need. Nobody, especially warbirders, want to pay the going price for the stuff.

Now you can turn on the blow torches. It ain't gonna bother me!

Bill K
N77657

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm 

Where at in lake whales? I might get the scuba equipment out for that if there is anything worthwhile left of her.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm 

Is the Dove on someones property and what would one have to do to recover it?

Also, does anyone know about the DC-3 out in the everglades without the empenage and one of the outboard wings missing? I have a pic somewhere. It's in the Punta Gorda area

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next