Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:25 am 

Rob Mears wrote:
Hasn't someone already refinished their Mustang as an olive drab "LOU IV" recently?

Chuck Greenhill
(the owner who McKittrick bought this one from)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

I'm Sorry I could'nt find in the face book or web sit of Lou IV, where and at who's/which shop she is in! :? But, anyway, GREAT WORK!! Since Chuck Greenhill already has his newest Mustang Lou IV painted in O.D, I feel the best way to make everyone happy, is to finish the rebuilt Lou IV in "Blue" (well there goes 2 cents :wink: ) I remenber seeing her way back in Breck. Tex. Good luck to all, Anthony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 pm 

B.Cat/S.Fury wrote:
I'm Sorry I could'nt find in the face book or web sit of Lou IV, where and at who's/which shop she is in! :? But, anyway, GREAT WORK!! Since Chuck Greenhill already has his newest Mustang Lou IV painted in O.D, I feel the best way to make everyone happy, is to finish the rebuilt Lou IV in "Blue" (well there goes 2 cents :wink: ) I remenber seeing her way back in Breck. Tex. Good luck to all, Anthony

http://www.facebook.com/restorelouiv

http://www.restorelouiv.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm 

This picture from the website kills the OD vs Blue argument forever. The OD camo "Geraldine" looks almost dark blue in this photo. The blue painted LouIV doesn't look even close to correct.

Go with the OD! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

How much of the airframe remained after the crash? I ask because I can't imagine there was that much after a fatal accident.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Noha307 wrote:
How much of the airframe remained after the crash? I ask because I can't imagine there was that much after a fatal accident.

Quite a bit. Low speed crashes, relative term, in airframes built like a tank usually leave quite a bit. Not going to say how much isn't bent or tweaked.
High speed create quite a bit of small pieces.
This was a landing accident.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 pm 

I remember when this P-51 was flown into Fort Wayne, IN in 1985 and Fort Wayne Air Service/John Dilley painted it in Fort Wayne Air National Guard Colors. It had General Hettinger"s name painted on the left side of the canopy who was commander of the 122nd at that time. Anybody out there got a picture of it wearing the ANG colors? This was before Fort Wayne Air Service rebuilt the aircraft and put it into the LOU IV Colors. This poor airframe has suffered from 3 major accidents since the time it was in Fort Wayne. The LOU IV paint scheme has ben applied to about 4 different airframes in the USA since WWII. Chuck Greenhill bought a former FWAS restored P-51 in "American Beauty" colors and had the Goderich, Ont paint shop put it into LOU IV Olive Drab colors about 2 years ago. LOU IV comes to OSHKOSH almost annually and is seen by all. Since we already have a LOU IV in olive drab there is no need for a repeat performance. If you guys want to keep LOU IV I would suggest a return to blue. It is much prettier than OD and the blue has its own significant history on the airshow venue. If there is a desire for an authenic WWII paint scheme, then I would pick a different canidate. I would love to see a "Jersy Jerk" paint scheme back out at OSHKOSH. Now we currently get to see the 3 variations of "OLD CROW". pop2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 pm 

how about another Mustang from this famous photo?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

or a Pacific Theatre one? or 14th A.F.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Or 52nd FG... seems like they're the red-headed stepchildren of the MTO. It would be nice to see a yellow-tailed MTO Mustang out and about.

Lynn

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:04 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

Any new pic.s not seen in the current facebook/web sites? Great job, good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:35 am 

We at the Bottisham Airfield Museum have recently recovered fragments from the original Lou IV/Athlene which down in August 1944 in Boisleux Au Mont.

We were fortunate to recover a small fragment with Olive Drab paint on it. 361st FG planes were NEVER painted blue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:28 pm 

Did I Hear right ?, That they are ready for a gear swing ? WOW ! That would be Great !

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CraigBirkhold wrote:
I remember when this P-51 was flown into Fort Wayne, IN in 1985 and Fort Wayne Air Service/John Dilley painted it in Fort Wayne Air National Guard Colors. It had General Hettinger"s name painted on the left side of the canopy who was commander of the 122nd at that time. Anybody out there got a picture of it wearing the ANG colors? This was before Fort Wayne Air Service rebuilt the aircraft and put it into the LOU IV Colors. This poor airframe has suffered from 3 major accidents since the time it was in Fort Wayne. The LOU IV paint scheme has ben applied to about 4 different airframes in the USA since WWII. Chuck Greenhill bought a former FWAS restored P-51 in "American Beauty" colors and had the Goderich, Ont paint shop put it into LOU IV Olive Drab colors about 2 years ago. LOU IV comes to OSHKOSH almost annually and is seen by all. Since we already have a LOU IV in olive drab there is no need for a repeat performance. If you guys want to keep LOU IV I would suggest a return to blue. It is much prettier than OD and the blue has its own significant history on the airshow venue. If there is a desire for an authenic WWII paint scheme, then I would pick a different canidate. I would love to see a "Jersy Jerk" paint scheme back out at OSHKOSH. Now we currently get to see the 3 variations of "OLD CROW". pop2

I'm really glad to see this Mustang going again. 8)
I remember the year Tom Kelley brought LOU IV to Reno and they let Paul Poberezny race it in one of the heat races, and he had a blast.
Poberezny had previously bought the Jerry Brassfield/Bob Love Cavalier and he went home and painted it as LOU IV but called it PAUL 1 with his initials down the side. - I always hated that paint job, :roll: ... and I'm sad that the plane has been grounded.
About a year later I was going to Oshkosh, and Bob Love asked my to give his greetings to "Pope Paul" if I saw him. I did end up running into Poberezny and we talked about Bob and the Mustangs for about 20mins. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm 

i don't know how to put links on here from facebook - but I seen some pictures the other day showing this bird almost complete and doing gear retract tests... Other than paint it looks like it could fly in next few months...