Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sometimes my words work towards things good and meaningful, sometimes they fail me and just don't do justice towards anything, and sometimes it's better I simply stand back, watch and listen. Memorial day on Monday will again be that day I stand back, watch and listen. If you find a personal quiet place of your own on Monday just for a few moments and stand back and listen, you'll hear the voices of all of 'them', and once again you'll hear the words "your welcome" ...

Usually I fall back on photos to explain my thoughts. Hope you guys don't mind a few more to reflect over the weekend and into Monday. Have a wonderful Memorial weekend and remember those who mean the most to you on Monday.

I think the LIFE archives can serve well here. Not one image means any more or less than the other, and even though these photos are directed towards the WW2 era, they certainly are reflective, and have the intent, to reflect on ALL wars and conflicts. Wouldn't you agree? Notice many are dated in the month of May.

Sometimes it's not a bad idea to spend a little time thinking about what most usually take for granted in this country, fortunately for me as well as many others, we are blessed with WIX members who have never lost touch of that reality. Another reason I still enjoy this place.

Army Parade Washington DC, Memorial Day, May 1942 (it's quite evident in this series of photos just how stressed, concerned and worried the country was at this early stage of the war, you really don't see too many smiles from those in attendance. But at the same time you can also sense parity and patriotism.)

Image]

Lt. Gen. James H. Doolittle (R) with Gen. George S. Patton saluting as they review troops after landing at airfield Los Angeles 1945

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Supreme Allied Commander, sitting in jeep in which he made recent tour of the fighting front during World War II. (ETO) 1945

Don Gentile 1944

LT Edward H. Butch O'Hare, USN 1942

COL Neel E. Kearby, 348th FG commander 1943

Captain Joseph J. Foss wearing the Congressional Medal of Honor in a portrait May 1943

Col. Jimmy Stewart, in his hometown upon his return from WWII

Clark Gable after the war 1946

Audie Murphy March 1948

Eddie Rickenbacker addressing troops. 1942

US Navy bomber pilot Ron Gift having a drink after a successful mission June 1944

Shirley Slade, pilot trainee in Women's Flying Training Detachment, during training at Avenger Field Sweetwater, TX, July 1943

Another female pilot trainee in Women's Flying Training Detachment, during training at Avenger Field Sweetwater, TX, July 1943

President Franklin D. Roosevelt, January 1942

Returning B-17 bomber crewmen of the 8th Bomber Command being interrogated by Intelligence officer 1942

Gen. Douglas MacArthur, posing in a serious manor for his portrait. March 1947

Navy pilot William A. Dean, sitting in his fighter plane emblazoned w. 11 Japanese flags October 1944

Field Hospital nurses who arrived in France via England & Egypt after 3 yrs. of service, during WWII. August 1944

Gen. Claire L. Chennault 1943

Admiral William F. Halsey, working at his desk aboard the carrier. 1945

Admiral Chester W. Nimitz during WWII 1942

American General Anthony McAuliffe, commander of the 101st Airborne at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. February 1945

Crewman lifting injured airman Kenneth Bratton (AOM) out of turret of TBF aircraft on USS Saratoga after raid on Rabaul, during WWII 1943

ETO P-47 Pilot 1944

General Omar Bradley 1945

Marines wounded during landing on Tarawa are towed out on rubber boats by their buddies to larger vessels November 1943

Wounded Marines being helped to aid station by Navy corpsmen & Marine walking wounded on sandy shores, during WWII 1945

US Army Lieut. Gen. Jonathan Wainwright, 62, wearing uniform hat, looking painfully emaciated, after his recent release fr. isolated imprisonment by the Japanese for over 3 yrs

Army's first all-black combat division, the 93rd, on parade after a 25-mile hike in the sweltering heat at Fort Huachuca AZ. 1943

American glider troops' airborne unit on parade at an airfield before Eisenhower's D-Day invasion during WWII May 1944

View from inside a small landing craft shows American soldiers wading ashore under heavy German fire during the Allied invasion of Nazi-occupied Normandy on D-Day June 6, 1944

US Marines unload equipment & supplies onto the sands of Iwo Jima from large Coast Guard & Navy landing craft shortly after troops gained a foothold on the strategically important island. February 19, 1945

US infantrymen huddled down closely on top of each other in assault boat while crossing Rhine under heavy enemy fire at St. Goar, during WWII March 1945

Muddy Amer. infantryman Terry Moore (C) w. his buddies in ponchos huddled in foxhole during intense sniper fire as they wait to advance on enemy position. Okinawa May 1945

American troops of 28th Infantry Division marching down Champs Elysees in victory parade following liberation of Paris August 1944

Overview of lines of US wounded soldiers attending Mother's Day services in blitzed Coventry Cathedral, which has no roof at all; men are patients in nearby convalescent hospitals. May 13, 1945

Abandoned carrier sitting on landing beach. May 1945

Farmer cultivating around an abandoned tank. France May 1945

Man riding by burial site for a British soldier. May 1945

In the spring, maintenance being done on WW II permanent American military cemetery, referred to as Number I cemetery. France May 1945

Personal effects being prepared to be sent home. Ferryville, Tunisia 1943

Boots and coats from dead and wounded soldiers being recycled for use once again. Ferryville, Tunisia 1943

Pvt. Paul Oglesby, 30th Infantry, standing in reverence before altar in damaged Catholic church, whose bomb-shattered roof is strewn about sanctuary Italy September 23, 1943

Italy May 23,1944

Italy May 23,1944

American soldier taking a meal break during the drive towards Rome, WWII. Italy May 23,1944

And here's a ray of hope from our younger generations to reflect and remember what Memorial day should mean to all of us.

I'll spend some time thinking of this guy as well, along with two uncles that didn't make it past January 1945.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Sun May 26, 2013 9:36 am, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:38 am 

Great pictures Thanks
Something that drew my attention was that there was not a over weight person in the crowd of spectators
We have really changed as a nation

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Mark! :supz: I'll be thinking of my dad this weekend too.

Anyone know who the marching troops in the Balaclavas were?

4113701 P-40F to RFC 4/3/45 at Ontario CA. as a TP-40F

Was Ricketyback exhorting the troops or looking for cabin attendents for EASTERN as he still wouldn't employ 'wimmin' as attendants for several years to come. (strange interfacing on Memorial Day as Capt. Eddy owned the Indianapolis Speedway after WW2 and sold it to Hulman.) :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can't see any American on this forum not understanding the true nature of the holiday. I irritates me when I hear co-workers and random people refer to this as only the reason for a 3-day weekend. When I heard an adult ask another at a gas station yesterday what Memorial Day was, I fought hard not to lose it, and stepped in to explain why we have the holiday and at what cost. I think i got through to her.
I lost a couple of soldiers on active duty, I remember their names like I remember the names of my family, they're that burned into my brain. I also remember the days (even the times) we lost each of them. Those are my Memorial Days.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lest we forget...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

Thanks Mark for your continued support of pictures and research.

How will I spend Monday?(notice I didn't say "3 day weekend"),...
8:00 prep the plane for departure.
9:00 arrive at Placerville airport to brief the Missing man flyover.
11:00 I will lead our twice a year flyover of 4 SNJ aircraft with a missing man tribute at the Veterans memorial in Placerville Ca.
Pilots--C. Wahl, B. Lessman, J. Booth, J. Quaid.

The attendance at the event is 1000+ to honor the veterans. We support the event every Memorial Day AND Veterans Day.
Then after that its back to the shop to work on the Dauntless and Helldiver with the crew.
Chuck Wahl SNJ-5C BuAer 90656
Ps. GoPro pictures from the wing if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bill and co. your all very welcome as always. Have a great Memorial weekend.
Chuck be safe on Monday and have a nice and successful tribute. I'll be one who will be very interested in seeing your GoPro shots. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One of the very best posts on this site, ever...and that's pretty remarkable considering what we've seen seen posted here. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:46 am 

Very well done Mark! I find the picture of the soldier standing in the bombed out church to be especially poignant.

I will be doing what I have done for a number of years this weekend. That is visiting the local cemeteries, spending some extra time cleaning up around the veterans grave markers, straightening out the flags. Just yesterday I found another grave of a veteran who had served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam...his marker partially covered in mud, grass and weeds all around and a flag someone had put there was laying caked and dried into the mud :( It really breaks my heart sometimes to see the way these fine men and women's markers are so neglected and uncared for. Simply forgotten by all. I feel it is my duty as an American and a veteran to show some respect for those who gave all especially.

I hope that all will stop for a few minutes between whatever activities are planned for Memorial Day and reflect on what the day is about. It is certainly not about buying a new car or fixing up your house or getting drunk around the barbecue! It is about those who came before us, put on the uniform and gave so much. Please remember them.

...just another plane dreamer.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Anyone know who the marching troops in the Balaclavas were?

As they are wearing jump boots and paratrooper uniforms, I say paratroopers

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:31 pm 

I wrote this when I was 39. I'm now 53. The feelings remain the same as does the responsibility to make sure these guys aren't ever forgotten.

http://www.worldwar2pilots.net/b24intro.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Outstanding post Mark, thank you. Lots of moving images. Here's to your dad, I am grateful to him for his service and bravery!

I'll be flying jet "air cover" Monday for an "old time" Memorial Day parade in little Elm Grove WI where the Grand Marshall is USAF Lt Col (ret) John Mathie, a Korean War F-86 pilot. Here's to you Col Mathie!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:19 am 

Yesterday, while leaving a local restaurent, a woman knocked on my car window to shake my hand to offer a Thanks for my service ...

Perhaps the Colonel was at the control when I took this picture many years ago.

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 am 

Here in Midland on Monday, the CAF Airpower Museum will be open without charge, and Memorial Day ceremonies will begin at 11 a.m. with the induction of eight more Texas Medal of Honor recipients into the CAF's Texas Medal of Honor Memorial, a missing man flyover by members of the High Sky Wing and guest speaker Maj. Gen Patrick H. Brady (ret.), who flew over 2,000 combat missions as a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and evacuated more than 5,000 wounded. He is a recipient of the Medal of Honor. There will be a free seminar featuring MG Brady at 1:15 p.m.

Lunch will be available from the High Sky Wing, and the CAF PBJ "Devil Dog" will be selling rides. A number of aircraft will be open for cockpit tours in the main hangar and there will also be classic cars on display. Other activities are available to entertain the smaller kids, and families are encouraged to come out to learn more about what the men and women of our American military did and are doing to ensure our freedom.

I'll be flying in one of the missing man planes. If you are in the area, I hope you will drive or fly in and say hello. Everyone fly safe!

Randy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Among the many times daily that I waste time feeling the need to feel sorry for myself for the realities of life. Memorial day is one day that I replace my life's mistakes, insecurities and pity for what I foolishly think to be unfair events in life, with an appreciation that 'others' past and present, have sacrificed so much so that I can be allowed to feel sorry for myself. The reality being it's certainly been a life spent spoiled because of their sacrifices .... that I foolishly still take for granted.

But there can be never enough parades for them, never enough flags waving, never enough handshakes and hugs, never enough patriotic music, never enough BBQ's and family time, never enough homecomings at the airport. But I'm sure we can all agree that we've certainly had enough white crosses and flag covered caskets, enough sadness at the loss of a daughter, son, father, husband.

Of all my ramblings this morning and in this thread, what usually stands out in my mind on Memorial day above all else are the words so well said in the movie 'Saving Private Ryan' ...

"earn this"

I fail miserably at "earning this" more times than not, but I think if 'they' knew I at least try my best, I'd like to think they're looking down at me in approval.

This isn't a 'holiday' for me, it's what it should be and that is a day to reflect, remember and appreciate those who serve and have served. From as deep as I can find in my heart, God bless you all who have served and still serve my country and have and still keep me safe. You have allowed me to live in peace and safety when at times the world has been such a mess.

If you see a veteran retired or currently active, take it upon yourself to gift yourself, and them, with a handshake and a 'thank you' .... in their eyes no more, no less is necessary.

Many thanks to all of you who have taken the time to post your thoughts here, it's very much appreciated and humbling indeed. Not just for me but for 'them' and whatever your plans and goals for Memorial day I wish you much peace and success. May your thoughts be for them.