Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New build FW-190D???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

All Allisons have a centrifugal supercharger. Some like the P-38 had an additional supercharging stage using a turbo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Yes, the carburetor feeds right into the supercharger impeller via an elbow. Most Merlins used updraft carburetors, most Allisons used downdraft.

The supercharger on the sides of the German engines may heve been to reduce the overall length of the engine and to simplify the carburetor ducting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 am 

DoraNineFan wrote:

And this is the first time I'm seeing any info on this rebuild at Sandy Air Corp. It's being rebuilt to static display.
Fw190 D-9 # 400616 White 16 III./JG 54

Quite late a response, but I took the pics with my old mobile phone, I had no access to them until now, ´cause it broke.
In autumn I visited Air Fighter Academy - Hangar 10 at Usedom. There the above mentioned D-9 is on it´s own feet, well, more or less. Unlike most of the other a/c of AFA it is a static rebuild by Sandy Air Corp.

More here:

http://s281.beta.photobucket.com/user/m ... 3860662178

Sorry for quality, but I forgot my camera, so my mobile had to do.
Enjoy!

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 am 

redvanner wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:

And this is the first time I'm seeing any info on this rebuild at Sandy Air Corp. It's being rebuilt to static display.
Fw190 D-9 # 400616 White 16 III./JG 54

Quite late a response, but I took the pics with my old mobile phone, I had no access to them until now, ´cause it broke.
In autumn I visited Air Fighter Academy - Hangar 10 at Usedom. There the above mentioned D-9 is on it´s own feet, well, more or less. Unlike most of the other a/c of AFA it is a static rebuild by Sandy Air Corp.

Michael

I didn't realize they were that far along with the rebuild. I wonder if they acquired the third FlugWerk D-9 fuselage or converted another kit from them. It's too bad that this one will not be a flyer also.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Okay, the number to have a flyable Fw-190D (flugwerk) retrofitted and flying with an original firewall forward JUMO 213A; $2.5 million USD.
$1.5 million USD is the number I received from a very reliable source involved in the Blair Dora. Apparently there is a QEC Jumo firewall forward, accessories, cowlings, everything and the guys in New Zealand are willing to tackle the rebuild of it and its accessories. That leaves a million to acquire and complete the rest of the airframe as mentioned in previous post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 am 
KiwiZac

marine air wrote:
the guys in New Zealand are willing to tackle the rebuild of it and its accessories.

Please do! I'd love to have a Dora project take flight here pop2

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 pm 

DoraNineFan wrote:
..... I wonder if they acquired the third FlugWerk D-9 fuselage or converted another kit from them.

AFAIK they did not use anything from Flugwerk, they did everything on their own.
Quote:
It's too bad that this one will not be a flyer also.

It was mentioned on some other forum (I can´t remember where and when), that Sandy Air Corp. is using non-airworthy materials. And they are not rated as maintenance or repair shop. So it definitely will not fly (if not in a cargo hold of a freighter). But you are right, I would like 190 D´s flying as well, the more, the better.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am 

redvanner wrote:
C VEICH wrote:
TriangleP wrote:
I hope we will see this Dora fly with a Jumo engine soon...

I would be pretty excited to see it fly with the Allison. A Jumo would be mind boggling! :)

Well, in fact it must not be a Jumo 213 neccessarily. It also could (might) be a DB 603. It would be a D-14 version. Though only 2 were built (AFAIK), it would be a very reasonable version. (Ta 152 C had the DB as well, but I believe the wings were different to the Fw 190 D series.) And it happens to be that MeierMotors just have one of the DB 603 around. (It is purely speculation by me, as I do not know for which project the 603 might be, nor do I know who owns this engine.) But it seems to be in excellent condition, at least what can be told by the pics. (MeierMotors FB site, scroll down to February 10.)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MeierMoto ... 9400376090

Michael

When searching the net, I found this site by chance. There is a pic of a Fw 190 D-14 fuselage. At least it seems to have the DB engine fitted, as the scoop for the charger is on the left side (pilot´s view), whereas Jumo´s have the scoop on the right side. (If the pic is not inverted) The 2 planes converted to D-14 standard were Fw 190 V 76 (WNr.: 210040) and V 77 (WNr.: 210043), originally built as D-9 by Focke-Wulf, Cottbus plant in autumn 1944. Conversion was made by Daimler-Benz at Stuttgart-Echterdingen airfield.

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/107193

Michael

Scroll down for the pic.

Last edited by redvanner on Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Michael, that's a good find... that is indeed a DB-powered Dora, note the angular "bump" above the supercharger intake for the DB engine mount which is also present in a different form on the Ta 152C. The use of what appears to be a nearly standard Bf 109G intake is curious. :)

I wasn't aware this made it beyond the paper design stage- I may have to get another 1/48 Tamiya kit and do a little scratchbuilding!

Thanks for this!

Cheers,

Lynn

PS: I've actually sat in the Dora out in Va Beach... that is one seriously tight cockpit, but the visibility is amazing. No wonder pilots loved those things!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:17 am 

In regards to FlugWerks, did anyone ever get to the bottom of the story from last year about the FW-190 with the shoddy rivet work?

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... p?p=452004

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 am 

JFS61 wrote:
In regards to FlugWerks, did anyone ever get to the bottom of the story from last year about the FW-190 with the shoddy rivet work?

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... p?p=452004

All I do know is, that after it was delivered to it´s owner at Braunschweig airport, every single information at MeierMotors including pics and vids were erased. The owner is not known to the public. All I have heard by rumour is, that it is still under repair, but no solid information available. And yes, it is the silver one, that formerly was in a different paint located at Duxford, GB. The one that got no permit to fly by the British authorities, owned by Tom Blair at that time. In Germany owners of warbirds (or of any plane) keep the info who owns what strictly on a basis of "who needs to know" only.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The aircraft has now moved to another country in Europe and will be prepared to fly again.
AFAIK it was the only example with the rivet problem.

'Ours' is flying really well- Frank Parker flew it with the original drop tank recently after getting CAA approval. No difference in performance noticed.

Rack fairings have yet to be made and the tank isn't plumbed.

I was lucky enough to get alongside on the test flight for a while

Dave

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That's a sweet shot of a very cool opportunity. Thanks for posting that Dave. :supz:

Thanks to you, Michael, for the pics of the Dora. It looks like a genuine engine block.
You gotta love scale modelling. 1:1 scale! :shock:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm 

Maybe old news?....nice discovery
!.
http://users.telenet.be/airwareurope/en ... aasm_e.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr_8cmQl7Ys

http://www.freewebs.com/fastbvba/fw190d9project.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 am 

The association who conducted this recovery, is a well known team, very professional and working in the "rules".
They already recovered several aircrafts here in Belgium and with one or two them allowed the pilot remains to be recovered and having official burials.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next