Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was great to meet you at Geneseo Chris. If I could only go to one show a year...... :wink: . My best to your dad.

Dave, we are planning on moving the fuselage to Wat's on Friday. There is probably two days worth of work left in the wings, then they will follow some time next week. My vacation is coming to an end and I'll have to go back to work for a few days :? WTF!!! I'll definitely let Danny know that you are available to help out. Thanks a lot.

After two days of one million degree weather and really annoying deer flies buzzing around our heads, we are that much closer.

Cabanes are on. The doors are on. Fuel tank is trial fitted. (we have to remove it to square the cabanes. This is essential for rigging a biplane.) Great to see so much visual progress!

This thread is supposed to be about a moth, however this little visitor showed up and I have to say, I've never seen anything like it this side of the discovery channel. The photo is from behind it, it's about an inch long. Any ideas?

Andy Scott

Last edited by DH82EH on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's a White Plume Moth Andy...

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1513

________

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 pm 

Andy,
Your Moth looks great! Did you comply with the S/B that replaces the Fuselage/ landing gear tie rods?
Good luck on the test flight.

Tiger Moth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How appropriate Peter. A moth on my moth :D You see. WIX does know everything.

Ah yes, the only lifed component on the aeroplane. Tie rod replacement is an A.D. here in Canada. Now we're good for another 18 years or two thousand flight hours, which ever comes first.
Almost all of the hardware is new.

Our highlight for today. We tied her to a tree. Parked the truck on the herc strap (so the tail couldn't come up) and we ran our engine for the first time since overhauling it! It fired right up! We kept the run short 'cause it's hot out, but it sure felt good to hear her come back to life. :drinkers:

Tomorrow we move the fuselage to the final assembly point!

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Moving day

We got her to the assembly point safely and not a minute too soon. Thanks Pete. It's good to have friends with trucks :wink:
Right now thunder and lightning are crashing all around me as a cold front comes through. Good riddance to this heat wave.

Next stop. The wings.

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 pm 

Another milestone! Look forward to the next one!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:03 pm 

Beautiful restoration... My compliments!!!

Are you aware that your Tiger was PH-ALG once? As such it had been converted to carry the so-called 'Fokker tail"

http://dutchtigermoth.com/PH-ALG/slides ... %20II.html

Regards from Holland

Aerovet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Baz.

Thanks for the compliments Aerovet. We have a pretty complete history of this Tiger courtesy of the Moth Club, (That's how I found her for sale in the first place).

According to my research so far, I'm pretty sure that she was ship #30 off of the Morris Motors production line. Tiger production had to be moved from Hatfield because they were working on a "secret bomber". I wonder if anyone can figure out what that might have been :wink:

As she is such an early serial# (83157) I have learned of only one older complete example, still extant from the Morris line (this machine was delivered to Australia where she still resides.)

Our Moth was delivered to the RAF in April of 1940. We have not yet found any photos of her in RAF livery, so our markings are spurious.
However, I do like to believe that our Tiger trained pilots that fought in the "Battle of Britain". Until someone proves otherwise......

Through her history she has been "rolled up in a ball" more than once :shock: Not only was she PH-ALG, she was previously wrecked as PH-UDY before that as well :wink: I'm glad the Dutch rebuilt her, but that "Boddenplank" (translates as bedboard) tail :vom:. What a thing to do to those lovely deHavilland lines.

Thanks for the interest folks. I'll update soon. I have to go back to work for several days :angry: . Such is life :wink:

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Tiger moth fans!
I know there's a few of you out there. :D We've been working away on our wings. Biplanes have a lot of them :wink:
Today is the day that we get them out of my basement!

It was kind of surreal moving wing panels around my yard. Anyone who has built a model would kinda get it, except it's 1:1 scale :shock:

Smile Danny!

Time for me to get in one of these shots. Sorry folks, I haven't had time to cut the grass, I've been busy playing Tiger moth!

We got the wings moved safely today. I've got to tell you, it's really stressful moving these bits around. There's a huge relief getting them to destination!
A huge milestone is approaching. Soon we will rejoin T-5414 with her wings, for the first time in over two years! I'll keep you Tiger moth fans posted :D

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Looking good Andy!

________

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Peter!

Well today was a big milestone in our little Tiger moth project. She started out this morning looking like this.

We had to make some room moving a bunch of Moths around. We moved her in with some fine company :wink:

After a bit of a briefing, and sorting out which wires go where, she started to come together.

We are so fortunate to have the guidance and expertise of Mr Wat Martin. Wat has made this learning curve so much more enjoyable. We will be forever in his debt. Thank you so much Wat. This will remain one of the privileges of my life! When it comes to Moths, if Wat doesn't know it......... .....you don't need to!

Justifiably proud, we couldn't help but roll her into the sunshine for a few photos!

It's just a milestone, we still have a long way to go. Highlights like this make for good press though! :D

Special thanks to our friends and helpers today. Larry and Vic. Plus a big thanks to Wat Martin! Wow!

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:56 am 

Andy that's one stunningly beautiful bird you have there. Congrats on the progress and get us some air-to-air shots!

-Brandon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow she looks stunning indeed! I have to say the camo paint looks really good on the Tiger Moth instead of the more common trainer yellow, Well done!!

________

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 am 

Hi guys,
she is starting to look like a real Tiger by now....!
And, in case you forgot how all the wiring is supposed to be fitted: here is an example of how it is done!

Cheers
Aerovet

"I love the smell of AVGAS in the morning"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:14 am 

This looks outstanding, and it never hurts having some inspiring hangar mates!

I am up in your neck of the woods a few times every summer riding at Blue Mountain, would love to come check out your Moth!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next