Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:06 pm 

Sean,
Did you even read my previous post? I tried to explain it to you, you must have missed it.
Your possibility list has 2 invalid candidates.

Chuck
http://www.VulturesRowAviation.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:23 pm 

SB2C-1 wrote:
Sean,
Did you even read my previous post? I tried to explain it to you, you must have missed it.
Your possibility list has 2 invalid candidates.

Chuck
http://www.VulturesRowAviation.com

Hi Chuck,

I didn't click the Notify of new posts so I missed you reasons. I read your post now and you were right on! As I click around and look for some details about which plane it is I found those other details...

If there were any type of serial # or other unique # that would be on the plane? I talked to my buddy today, and we definitely will dive it next week... He's thinking maybe Monday.. but definitely sometime next week! I don't have any lights for my video camera so I'll shoot photos first dive and then shoot video if we're able to dive it for the 2nd dive.. I'd really love to show you guys some vid!!

Thanks for the detailed expaination Chuck... Funny we found your namesake! Why do you like the SB2C-1 so much?

Sean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I look forward to any pictures or video you are able to post for us. I'd love the chance to dive wreck sites. I've hike to several but something about diving them would be very cool. Maybe I need a new hobby, or would that be expanding one I already have?

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:51 am 

Hi guys! Chuck thanks for the info about the wreck possible ID locations. I wasn't able to find any ID yet... Maybe on the tail section.. I need to try to dig it up out of the sand... I did end up diving the wreck again and I shot photos and another diver shot video.. I just got done with the photos and the videos may take a few weeks... Here are my shots... I really love this wreck!

http://www.scubapost.net/scubablogs/scu ... ber--sb2c1

Thanks for all your help!

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the photos Sean. We love to see this kind of stuff. Out there off Hawaii how far down does sunlight penetrate?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sean, With tsunamis is the news yesterday as a result on the earthquake in Chile, do the strong currents they produce affect wrecks at all? I was thinking maybe the currents would move enough sand around to cover certain wrecks and uncover others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 pm 

Hi Pat, the Tsunami scare was pretty overblown here on the other side of the island (south west maui). Southeast facing shorelines were definitely at risk but considering the vector of Chile to Hawaii, unless it could wrap-around the island or reflect off another one it would be impossible to get a wave directly off south Maui from that angle... :) The wreck is very sturdy and mounted in the sand. It's pretty protected. Although the skin on the engine is the thickness of paper and very vulnerable to people destroying it... Sadly I have dove another wreck in Southern California which was a P38 and idiots stole the guns and anything else of value... I really hope people don't steal these 20mm guns... The location will eventually get out and people will dive it... It's a sure thing it's going to decay and crumble eventually..

Light can penetrate even down to 200 feet easily here... if you have the right conditions and the sun is overhead... The wreck is shallow so it's well-illuminated during the day...

Here's the location of the Puunene Naval Airstation during WWII.... Must be a lot of wrecks in that bay :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&s ... 15042&z=16

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

200'!! Thats quite a ways down. I was watching an episode of Deep Sea Detectives the other day and visibility in the North Sea off the coast of England was just a few feet!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

scubasean wrote:
Hi Pat, the Tsunami scare was pretty overblown here on the other side of the island (south west maui). Southeast facing shorelines were definitely at risk but considering the vector of Chile to Hawaii, unless it could wrap-around the island or reflect off another one it would be impossible to get a wave directly off south Maui from that angle... :) The wreck is very sturdy and mounted in the sand. It's pretty protected. Although the skin on the engine is the thickness of paper and very vulnerable to people destroying it... Sadly I have dove another wreck in Southern California which was a P38 and idiots stole the guns and anything else of value... I really hope people don't steal these 20mm guns... The location will eventually get out and people will dive it... It's a sure thing it's going to decay and crumble eventually..

Light can penetrate even down to 200 feet easily here... if you have the right conditions and the sun is overhead... The wreck is shallow so it's well-illuminated during the day...

Here's the location of the Puunene Naval Airstation during WWII.... Must be a lot of wrecks in that bay :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&s ... 15042&z=16

Sean

Sean, Are currents underwater (not tsunamis) strong enough to cover certain wrecks with sand and perhaps uncover others?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm 

Sean, Are currents underwater (not tsunamis) strong enough to cover certain wrecks with sand and perhaps uncover others?[/quote]

Yeah I would say things can get covered by sand.. especially over time... with large storms coming they could cover a wreck no problem. I was reading about a guy who's looking for a Spanish Galleon off the Big Island and he used a magnetometer and found a lot of metal... He sent some divers down to 250 feet and they found only lava... but this guy thinks the wreck was covered beneath a lava eruption in the 1800's.. :) One thing I found interesting researching this wreck was a near-shore collision off NW Molokai involving the SB2C's with several being lost... I bet they are down there!

Here is a snippet from an email regarding my wreck from George Kernahan:

"The likely candidate is BuNo18400 which ditched after its rudder jammed on a training flight. The location given is off the beach, 1 to 2 miles south of NAS Puunene. One possible identifying feature is that the empennage is described as being "twisted to port", though this may not now be evident? The wreck was not recovered by the Navy."

I couldn't find any record of the 18400 being lost... It sounds like the one to me!

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 pm 

Hey guys;

Quick note for this post. It is listed as an SB2C that was found but the article identifies it as an SBD. We've got 2 different aircraft here. The SB2C is by far the more rare plane...