Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:21 am 

Thomas_Mac wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question...will the Lanc fit in your current hangar when her wings are attached? If not are there plans in place for expansion to house the lancaster?

Not a stupid question at all. She will fit in the hangar but will go not through the new doors that were built when the doorway width was shortened several years ago. Fortunately, the original, full doors are still in place. All we will have to do is remove (or re-design) the sections of wall that were added on each side during the renovation.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 am 

Time for a quick update before the Christmas break. Work on the rudders, especially the port one is coming along nicely. We have one side almost completely buttoned up and have started attaching the skins on the other side with blind fasteners.

Merry Christmas to everyone and have a safe and happy New Year!

Don and the rest of the gang at CH2A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Looking good guys.... Happy holiday's :drink3:

________

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 pm 

Sure looking good Don! Can't wait to get back from the North and get into working on her again!

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca
http://www.ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:12 pm 

To all those who are contributing to this restoration: I live in Detroit metro area and over the years made many trips to Rose Park to admire this aircraft and simultaneously wonder how such an important artifact could be debased as a "plane on a stick." Thanks so much for saving this priceless aircraft and the effort you are making to restore her.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 am 

Rhino-9-3 wrote:
Sure looking good Don! Can't wait to get back from the North and get into working on her again!

We all miss you Ryan. When will you be back? For Christmas I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:27 am 

daviemax wrote:
To all those who are contributing to this restoration: I live in Detroit metro area and over the years made many trips to Rose Park to admire this aircraft and simultaneously wonder how such an important artifact could be debased as a "plane on a stick." Thanks so much for saving this priceless aircraft and the effort you are making to restore her.

Daviemax,

Thanks for your kind words. When purchased by the city in 1962, FM212 was meant to be a memorial to the brave young airmen of Bomber Command. She was a proud public reminder for many years of what they sacrificed and was well-cared for when she was on the pedestal. Time and the elements, however, took their toll. These aircraft, when built, only had an expected lifespan of 12 missions or about 100 hours air-time. After over 8000 hours of Arctic flying and 45 odd years as a memorial, she has done her duty admirably. Now she is getting a well-deserved make-over and, when we are finished, she will hopefully be around for another 100 years. If you ever feel like an up-close look at the old girl, let me know. Merry Christmas!

Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 pm 

Next up for our resident carpenter (in other words, me) is the rear outboard engine nacelles or "canoes". These both have very elaborate wooden ribs and frames, made out of numerous strips of 2mm plywood, fir pieces for stiffening and 3mm plywood nailed on top. There are numerous notches and edges with compound curves. Yahoo! Neither one has a complete, intact set so there is going to be a lot of measuring, trial and error and, probably, guess work, lol.

Here is a pic of the port canoe, Many of the ribs are damaged, rotten and missing parts. The starboard one is in no better shape.

First order of business was removing what we can without further damage. All of the ribs are attached with various sized, slotted wood screws, most of them covered with several layers of black paint. This is a pic of the starboard rear rib which is in the best shape of all of them. The port one came off in several pieces. It is so soaked with oil you can literally crumble it between your fingers.

The next rib came off in several pieces as well. It seems that if they aren't oil-soaked, they are so dried out that they feel like paper.

The new skins for the rear ribs on both canoes. This was the easy part. Now I will need to re-build the form that it covers, re-creating the bevelled edge that goes all around the outside (nacelle skin side). The broken form from the port side is laid out on top in this pic.

Stay tuned! Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Big Daddy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:50 am 

Hi, I am new to this forum just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying your work and appreciate the excellent job you are all making of it.

I am building an RC 1/10th scale Lancaster BIII (Special) - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918147 and your pictures have been the best source of information I have found

Absolutely stunned at the construction of the 'canoe' I just wouldn't think that it had a wooden structure, cant wait to see your progress

Ken

PS, Do you mind if I use some of your pictures on the thread or are they copyright? some of the guys over on RCGroups are incredibly knowledgeable about the Lancaster and could have some good contributions to make

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 am 

heli_madken wrote:
Hi, I am new to this forum just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying your work and appreciate the excellent job you are all making of it.

I am building an RC 1/10th scale Lancaster BIII (Special) - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918147 and your pictures have been the best source of information I have found

Absolutely stunned at the construction of the 'canoe' I just wouldn't think that it had a wooden structure, cant wait to see your progress

Ken

PS, Do you mind if I use some of your pictures on the thread or are they copyright? some of the guys over on RCGroups are incredibly knowledgeable about the Lancaster and could have some good contributions to make

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your kind comments. I don't mind you using the pictures from my posts as long as you reference where you got them. I am not a great photographer so it's not a big deal to me. I will let Ryan respond regarding his shots.

I am looking forward to seeing your finished model. Great work so far!! We have similar plans for a 1/12th scale model here as well. The trouble with us is finding the time away from the 1:1 Lanc project to work on it, lol. If you need photos of any part of the Lanc for your RC build, let me know. I am at the hangar almost every day and have full access to any part of the a/c.

Cheers,
Don

Last edited by Big Daddy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Don, if you guy's do not have drawings for the rear nacelle wood framework, you should talk to CWH as they had to replace theirs during the restoration.

________

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 am 

peter wrote:
Don, if you guy's do not have drawings for the rear nacelle wood framework, you should talk to CWH as they had to replace theirs during the restoration.

Peter, we do have drawings but they do not include dimensions. Thx.

D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm 

heli_madken wrote:

Hey Ken,

Feel free to use any of the pictures I have in the thread as well!

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca
http://www.ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:04 am 

Big Daddy wrote:
If you need photos of any part of the Lanc for your RC build, let me know. I am at the hangar almost every day and have full access to any part of the a/c.

Cheers,
Don

Thanks Don and Ryan, One area I am really struggling with is finding good photographs of the internals of fore and aft turrets but I don't think you actually have these yet do you?

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Canoe, keep up the excellent work, Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:35 am 

heli_madken wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:
If you need photos of any part of the Lanc for your RC build, let me know. I am at the hangar almost every day and have full access to any part of the a/c.

Cheers,
Don

Thanks Don and Ryan, One area I am really struggling with is finding good photographs of the internals of fore and aft turrets but I don't think you actually have these yet do you?

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Canoe, keep up the excellent work, Ken

Ken,

We hopefully will have a front turret soon. Still trying to find the rear turret. I have a pretty good schematic of the FN-20. I will dig it up and send to you.

Don

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next