Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:18 am 
Pvt. Joker

Here are a few photos of the rebuild progress of Me 109 “Rote Sieben” (Red Seven) D-FWME near Bitz, Germany that I took this past week.

Some of the photos from the landing accident last summer can be found here on the official website (in German only, sorry!).

The engine mount is beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I understand Heckler & Koch did the work.

What a find under the Christmas tree!

Warbirds of America

What are you waiting for? Join us!

Best way to contact me- email my last name @gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:11 pm 

Thanks much for the update!

I really like that last image with the Weihnachtsbaum... gives a nice feeling of atmosphere and a bit of 'magical' hope for the project...

Frohe Weihnachten!

Fade to Black...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:30 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

Hope to see this one in the flesh someday :)

Daz

Spitfire replicas - http://www.spitfirebuilder.4t.com

Spitfire replica discussion group -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spitfirereplicas/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:34 pm 

I would like to find THAT aircraft under MY Christmas tree next Sunday!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:51 pm 

Eric Friedebach wrote:
Here are a few photos of the rebuild progress of Me 109 “Rote Sieben” (Red Seven) D-FWME near Bitz, Germany that I took this past week.

Some of the photos from the landing accident last summer can be found here on the official website (in German only, sorry!).

A google translation
Quote:
ME 109 MAC
ME air company
D-fwme
"red one filters"

Structure Me109 - second edition Messerschmitt BF 109

Owing to the support from many sides could be begun with the reconstruction. We are grateful for each assistance and in addition the Me109 sponsor Shop furnished. There you find almost up to date information and can by the acquisition of ME-specific article in the reconstruction help.

Look simply times purely: shop.me air company.de

The reconstruction
Current pictures here...

Donation account reconstruction of the MAC ME 109

further pictures of the accident here...

... on multiples desire a guest book

Our ME 109 "D-fwme" was very heavily damaged to 15.7.2005 after somewhat more than 100 successful flights in a landing accident on its homeland airfield Albstadt Degerfeld, Zollernalbkreis. The pilot got off as by a miracle the fright.

A reconstruction would require substantial efforts. Beside technical means much work and also a not insignificant quantity of money would be necessary, which we, which cannot apply existing, purely private ME air company from the 3 owners unfortunately any longer alone.

The sympathy not only all flier comrades but in particular also the local population at our misfortune is giant large. Unanimously and spontaneously by many sides the desire was near-carried at us to be allowed to contribute with a donation to the reconstruction. But we are very grateful. Thus also one of our local daily papers, called the Zollern Alb courier, in its expenditure of 23.7.05 to a donation action.

Therefore we furnished a donation account:
ME 109 donation account reconstruction
Savings bank Zollernalb·Acct 1134297991 (BLZ 653,512 60)
IBAN: DE42653512601134297991·BIC: SOLADES1BAL

The donations are to serve exclusively for the reconstruction the ME 109. We committed ourselves to furnish the Zollern Alb courier and thus publicly the proof that the donations are used only for the reconstruction.

We thank you quite cordially

ME air company
Siggi Knoll, William Heinz, Werner Grammel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:06 pm 

Thanks for the update!
It's great to see the progress that has been made. I hope it will return to the air again soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:34 pm 

Wonder how long it will take for them to break it again?

Fly a replica - keep the original intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:50 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

No, he's right Rob.

We are currently building balsa and carbon fiber replicas of all our aircraft, including the R44 and the Caravan that we'll fly around in, and we'll leave the real ones in the hangar.

Makes perfect sense.

I heard Air Canada was doing the same with their fleet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:54 pm 

ExRAFbod wrote:

Park it and keep it intact as a 109 or convert it back to a Hispano? It's not an original '109 anyway, keep it flying! (not that I'd say park it even if it was)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:37 pm 

ExRAFbod wrote:

Achtung! Troll Alarm! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The two videos last year ,one of the Me-109 doing sloppy ground level aerobatics and another of a guy doing sloppy takeoffs and landings with slightly improved flying ability; Which aircraft is this?
I don't want to see that again anytime soon. When this aircraft gets rebuilt , my suggestion is they get a Yak-3 as a "chase plane" and do aerobatics in it. They could also do sponsor rides and press flights and would be able to get a lot more fighter flight time instead of risking the Me-109 as often. Why not do an aerobatic routine in a new build Yak-3 to demonstrate the pilot's maginificent flying ability and satisfy his ego?
Or put together a routine called "The Western Front" where the Yak-3 and Me-109 appear to mix it up in front of the crowd. The Yak could do the riskier aerobatics and the Me-109 could do a few rolls and high speed passes while appearing to be in hot pursuit.
I'd pay to go see that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Chad Veich wrote:

Park it and keep it intact as a 109 or convert it back to a Hispano? It's not an original '109 anyway, keep it flying! (not that I'd say park it even if it was)

From my reading I was of the understanding that "some" of the Hispanos were infact the last few ME 109 airframes produced by Messerschmit at the war's end.

The rest, being the majority, were replicas produced by Hispano and the whole lot of them set engineless for many years until the early 50's when the Rolls Royce power plants became readily available. So when the airframes were tooled up with the Merlins it might be presumable that the 109 airframes recieved the same treament.

I'm the first to admit that my information might be in error. Please if anyone has the correct information, let me know won't you? Thanks

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In a word 'wrong'. Germany was in no position to send aircraft to Spain late war. Do a Google search on the Hispano Ha 1112, there are plenty of websites of varying accuracy.
25 109G-2 were shipped to Spain in 1943, but engines didn't show. The Hispano Suiza was first tried, but found to be inadequate. Spain went on to build over 150 airframes utilizing the Merlin into the 50s. Hispanos can be identified by small air scoops near the cockpit and also the amount of holes around the radio aerial ( more on the Hispano due to higher operating temps requiring more air circulation).
There is no evidence that any surviving Buchon is a German built airframe ( with the possible exception of the first DASA example which crashed which was found to have German numbers on some parts..although that doesn't mean that the parts weren't fitted to a Spanish built airframe), and most have been rebuilt or restored at one time or another to allow close inspection for signs of German manufacturing stamps. But of course that doesn't stop the owners , museums etc claiming they have one of the 'original' 25....if you added all who claim that, the original 25 have had a remarkable survival rate :wink:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

DaveM2 wrote:
In a word 'wrong'. Germany was in no position to send aircraft to Spain late war. Do a Google search on the Hispano Ha 1112, there are plenty of websites of varying accuracy.
25 109G-2 were shipped to Spain in 1943, but engines didn't show. The Hispano Suiza was first tried, but found to be inadequate. Spain went on to build over 150 airframes utilizing the Merlin into the 50s. Hispanos can be identified by small air scoops near the cockpit and also the amount of holes around the radio aerial ( more on the Hispano due to higher operating temps requiring more air circulation).
There is no evidence that any surviving Buchon is a German built airframe ( with the possible exception of the first DASA example which crashed which was found to have German numbers on some parts..although that doesn't mean that the parts weren't fitted to a Spanish built airframe), and most have been rebuilt or restored at one time or another to allow close inspection for signs of German manufacturing stamps. But of course that doesn't stop the owners , museums etc claiming they have one of the 'original' 25....if you added all who claim that, the original 25 have had a remarkable survival rate :wink:

Dave

I'm not normally one to argue but I decided to dig out my evidence instead of being one of the many who throw out unsubstantiated or supported statments. So here it is:

According to and taken from this years first issue of Air Classics Vol 42 Number 1. The article located on page 65 titled "Bad Guys" by Michael O'Leary:

Quote:
Classic shapes of the Messerschmitt and Mitsubishi over the Mojave Desert. Skip Holm was flying Harold Kindsvater's Hispano HA-1112MIL and Bruce Lockwood was flying the Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero. In Spanish servicem, the HA-1112-MIL recieved the military designation C4-KB and was powered with Rolls-Royce Merlin 500/45 powerplants. The fighter was fitted with two 20mm HS 404/804 cannon and could carry eight 10kg Oerlikon rockets under the wings. In 1950 Spain had 150 fuselages in storage awiating powerplants. Some of these were new build, others had been built in Germany during the war. The Spaniards had been having a hard time obtaining reliable powerplants for their fighters. The original Daimler-Benz were not available after the German surrender and the aircraft fitted with Hispano-Suiza V-12's proved to be less than ideal. It was not unitl 1953, that the Spainiards were able to obtain what was to become the definative powerplant for the HA-1112-MIL. The Govenment was able to purchase a large quantity of Rolls-Royce Merlin transport engines (the 500 series) from Britian. Spanish engineers quickly undertook the work of installing the large engine in the small airframe but it was not an easy task and the first Merlin-powered HA-1109-MIL did not fly until 1956. Production comprised of 171 aircraft (including two two-seat HA-1112-M4Ls) delivered between 1956 and 1961.

I'm not 100% but I'm assuming Mr. O'Leary did some reasearch before printing the article, but if you still disagree with this I'd love to hear why you think this information is incorrect.

Best Regards

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:35 pm 

Shay

Jumping to Dave's defence here I should point out that he is also a published authority on the type and did an extensive series of articles on the survivors and the types history for Classic Wings Downunder magazine which also required extensive research - My point is that historians try very hard to confirm facts from multiple sources but in the face of conflicting evidence it is often necessary to make judgements on the basis of probability. Dave states that there is no evidence of any survivors of the original German batch- Unless this evidence comes to light with the proviso of the exception mentioned by Dave then sadly we must assume the worst - that none have survived until proven wrong.

Mr O'leary has made a statement "Some of these were new build, others had been built in Germany during the war" probably a generalised assumption as i just read the artice and there is no empirical evidence to support the assertion. There is also the disconnect between the 150 airframes quote and the total of 171 also quoted- perhaps this was additional new production or built up from remaining components or rebuilds from damaged airframes.

More detailed comment research would help resolve the question.

Despite it's heritage the Buchon has a sad and in some cases, tragic career as a Warbird and is a real warbird enigma. I have no issue with the perchant of some to equip them with DBs as we have so few originals however I also agree that the best solutuion is a new build every time and retire the originals. The Flugwerke Fw 190 is a case in point , 16 New aircraft and no original airframes consumed in their rebuild - well done I say - same with Yaks and Zeros and 262s and Oscars - the future of Warbirds lies here . A word of warning though is that a replica should be a replica not an approximation so I am not in favour of the trend to "customise " these machines with lots of "innovations" that make them at best dubious approximations - a sham on their forbears - engines are one thing from a safety standpoint compromise has to occur but some replicas are pure rubbish with wild departures from the original

My two Bobs worth
John P