Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:45 pm 

I have some updates on the return to flight of the Australian based A-26 Invader, located in Brisbane at the moment. Currently in a firebomber scheme, this will change in the future.

The following tasks have been conducted or are to soon be done on the airframe -
* Her props have been removed for inspection and repairs if necessary with engine and carby work to follow shortly.
* All cylinders tested and where necessary repairs undertaken. Once this is completed test runs of 4 x 20 mins each side with inspections of oil filters for any traces of foreign matter will be undertaken.
* Once these above tasks have been completed, more indepth hydraulic and electrical system tests will be conducted.

A new paint scheme is currently being decided on and once that is confirmed the warbird will be off to the paint shop. I know what this is meant to be in general and most will be keen I think to know as well but owners has it under wraps for now.

An air to air photo shoot is still planned for later this year at some point, which will see myself and another pilot conduct a sortie alongside the Invader over Australia.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

in light of the last huge fire they most previously had, the Fire Bomber scheme may be worth keeping. pop1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 am 

We have another B-26 Invader update from Queensland for followers and 7 photos.

"Each engine currently undergoing inspection and testing. This should be completed by end of April 2014, weather permitting and parts arriving on time.Work has also included the completion of the AD on the props which are ready for refit and this will occur asap after engine testing (compressions and or cylinder changes etc) . The next phase will be a series of engine and system runs."

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 368&type=1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the update and photos.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 am 

Some great news to share from Brisbane.... another mile stone reached today in the return to flight efforts for A-26 Invader VH-VNI.
Initial engine runs ups were successful and clean with no hiccups. System checks also completed with 100% results. Ground trials also proved brakes and other systems are operational. More engine runs are due over the next few weeks but this will depend on the results of oil analysis. Congratulations to John Dunne and his team at Aviation Component
Services (Qld) Pty Ltd for their work on the propellers and to Cameron, Rebecca and all the team at Performance Aero Pty Ltd. Final thanks to Randal McFarlane for bringing this aircraft to Australia for all warbird enthusiasts to enjoy.CLick on the attached file to see the video of the engine runs. https://www.facebook.com/phil.buckley/p ... 3873558045

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Is this the airplane that was aquired by former active WIXer "Oscar Duck"?
Robbie 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:37 pm 

Great to see my old machine out of hibernation... :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Robbie Stuart wrote:
Is this the airplane that was aquired by former active WIXer "Oscar Duck"?
Robbie 8)

OK I am a dumb bass, I did not read all the information, yes it's great seeing the old Gal get all fixed up!
Robbie 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm 

The Australian A-26 is the former Airspray #2, I believe. The Champaign Aviation Museum in Urbana, Ohio, has Airspray #32. Wouldn't it be kinda cool to keep them as water bombers and have them put out the flames from the fake bombing runs from various attack aircraft or bombers at airshows? Keep a water tank in the bomb bay, color the water, and snuff out the flames. Or keep the water clean and cool off a part of the crowd , that wants to be hosed, on a hot day. Of course dumping from higher elevation. Of course the FAA wouldn't allow overflight of the crowd.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:02 am 

Which Brisbane airport has the A-26? I plan to be in the Queensland area in November ....

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:44 pm 

It's currently at the GA airport, Archerfield. Plans are to fly it to its new home in Adelaide at some stage...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:50 pm 

I think I can add something to this.

While Cameron and the team at Archerfield are working on getting everything right, we've been negotiating with a few places here in South Australia.

Given the size of the bird and the operating costs there has to be a balance of economies. The local airport - are doing their best to convince us to go there

but we like a more rural setting, timeframe for moving = when its 100% right. Paint scheme to be decided and nose art name and scheme currently being

settled on, having said that, people who know how we operate can tell you we like to retain all of the aircrafts history, so something like "Randals Rascals"

would not be totally ignored. In any case Phil Buckley aka Liberator is organising all the specifics including film and photo shoots and he will update all as things

develop. More specifics can be obtained from Liberator who would be more than happy to assist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:11 pm 

We have a new story for enthusiasts to read with some updates and 12 photos on the B-26 Invader in Australia - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2530148 ... 021201069/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:22 am 

Another update on B-26 progress.....

* Both engine and prop work is now completed with oil reports in, compressions on all cylinders are excellent indicating on average 75/80.

* Cameron and his team are now focussing on the aircraft structure itself with close attention to any corrosion. All main and sub assemblies to be inspected and repairs conducted where necessary.

* Reevers has started a search for an approved FAA and CASA CFL who can endorse several pilots... with negotiations commenced.

* The only major obstacle so far is it appears there is no under cover space for the warbird in SA. All efforts to accommodate the A-26 undercover in SA are being fully explored.

We will advise on more news when it happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 am 

Full stories of this aircraft here:

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-ne ... ralia.html

And how it go there:

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbird-art ... regon.html

http://www.vintageaviationnews.com