Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:12 pm 

A good read and a great video for the weekend - I wrote this article last year.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbird-art ... euver.html

http://www.vintageaviationnews.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:12 am 

Impressive footage. If you look at the cockpit image, notice the vertical device just ahead of the canopy locks on the sill. That was termed an M-11 Thruster, there was one on the left hand sill as well and after the canopy was unlocked by another thruster during ejection, the two M-11s extended and popped the canopy up enough so that the wind stream caught it & tore it right off.

The F-104 had a fairly involved egress system but it worked ok. I worked on them for about 3 years while stationed at Edwards AFB in the mid to late 60's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:04 am 

Tom Moungovan wrote:
Impressive footage. If you look at the cockpit image, notice the vertical device just ahead of the canopy locks on the sill. That was termed an M-11 Thruster, there was one on the left hand sill as well and after the canopy was unlocked by another thruster during ejection, the two M-11s extended and popped the canopy up enough so that the wind stream caught it & tore it right off.

The F-104 had a fairly involved egress system but it worked ok. I worked on them for about 3 years while stationed at Edwards AFB in the mid to late 60's.

Tom have you meet either Scrappy Johnson or Dave Skilling?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:54 am 

Warbirds News wrote:
Tom Moungovan wrote:

Tom have you meet either Scrappy Johnson or Dave Skilling?

No, I'm sorry but I have not. I was at Edwards from June 1966 until the end of May, 1969 when I got an 8 month early-out. Did these two gentlemen work at Edwards? There were a lot of contractors there and some were crew chiefs. Our Base Commander when I first got there was BG Hugh Manson. His successor was General Slay. General Manson used to come down to the base photo shop sometimes and visit. He knew the Sgt. who ran the place and was a friendly sort.

F-104 seats were frequently removed to access other equipment, so we worked on these almost daily, while some aircraft like our B-58, T-37s, F-106 did not see near as much work from our Egress Shop. The 104 seat was heavy. Some seats, you could lift and handle by yourself, but the one out of the 104 took two people, one on each side to swing it out from under the aircraft after it was removed. If the seat was not going to be out of the aircraft for a long period, we'd sometimes wait out on the flightline for it to go back. If it was for more than an hour or so, we'd put it in the back of our Econoline van and take it back to our shop where it was hung up on the wall, supported by a cable.

I really thought they were were designed. No doubt they were modified by the time that they went out of service.

They had one feature that you had to be really careful of and that was the arms that deployed the arm restraints during ejection. You did not lift out on the ends of these as too much force could shear a pin in the thruster under the seat and fire the catapult while you were around. We always de-armed the seat first before even getting into the aircraft by disconnecting the hose right at the catapult and then putting tape over it to prevent FOD (foreign object damage).
I was on a ladder late one afternoon helping a friend who was a crew chief on an F-104. The pilot wanted to get somebodies attention and started to quickly rise up off the seat. His flight suit caught on the arm so I smacked him as hard as I could right in the sterum and pushed him right back. He immediately reddened, but asked if I had a really good reason for doing that. When I explained what had happened, he got pretty serious and quietly asked me to do what I had to do . I safety wired the arm down and then disconnected the B nut on the catapult. We were both interviewed after but nobody caught hell over it. He had not pulled it far enough to shear the pin.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:13 pm 

Tom,

Just to let you know that 56-750 (F-104-A) and was stationed at Edwards still exists.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:01 pm 

its a shame this one sits out on the tarmac of Easton Airport. It was donated them by Tom Blair who used to use it for his Christmas decorations.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:46 pm 

Who owns it Easton Airport?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 pm 

Yup, Easton Newnam Field | Easton Municipal Airport owns it. Tom Blair has a hangar here (Spitfire USA) with 2 Spitfires, L-39 and a Tiger Moth. He used to keep a P-40 / P-51 here but I believe sold them.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm 

OK thanks...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 pm 

FastRacer5 wrote:
its a shame this one sits out on the tarmac of Easton Airport. It was donated them by Tom Blair who used to use it for his Christmas decorations.

This photo has been used by many Starfighter enthusiast for their Xmas card throughout the years. Including me. :-)

Any idea what the airport is planning to do with this 104?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 pm 

I don't think their are any serious plans for it other than to build a platform for it, but it's been a few years since it was purposed. Other than that it gets used for Easton airport day as a Jet pull each year. It does not have an engine and rolls pretty easy. They have to follow it with a tug tied to the tail hook to stop it at the end of the pull, Its more of a team timed event than distance. I believe it's pretty complete minus the engine.

They might entertain selling it, They have a expensive tower to run and like most airports across the country federal funding gets cut off for it in September if congress doesn't find the cash.

Last edited by FastRacer5 on Tue May 20, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 pm 

FastRacer5 wrote:
I don't think their are any serious plans for it other than to build a platform for it, but it's been a few years since it was purposed. Other than that it gets used for Easton airport day as a Jet pull each year. It does not have an engine and rolls pretty easy. They have to follow it with a tug tied to the tail hook to stop it at the end of the pull, Its more of a team timed event than distance. I believe it's pretty complete minus the engine.

Thanks man.

I was going to ask about the cockpit,etc. So you think that it's everything there, minus the engine?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 pm 

I would like to say yes.

Everything Tom blair has owned is top notch. At one point he owned 26 single seat fighters which is wild to wrap your head around just the cost to hangar them. Anything I've ever seen of his is smithsonian quality worthy. He is also a large financial driving force behind stallion 51 and I believe still owns Tom Reily's old hangar that was hurricane damaged in Kissimmee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:36 am 

Quick update on F-104 business :-)

New Livery For the Starfighter Aerospace’s Aircraft:

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-ne ... craft.html