Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I have an opportunity to speak with someone about this airplane and I will likely get only one shot at the conversation.

You can reply here or PM me, but I'm requesting a list of what makes this B-24 special and worthy of saving ... and (the kicker) it must be phrased for someone who is not a warbird fan to understand/appreciate. Final point to ponder for this approach: is there a "win" for Barksdale to either save or restore the plane, that is, what incentive do they have beyond the noble one of saving history? We may not like it, but there may need to be some additional incentive to see results.

What factory, model, how many left (in the US), whatever. List the facts, skip the emotions, and I'll take those facts to the conversation.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Among a couple of the highlights:

Only Ford-built B-24J still in the United States;
No B-24J (one of the most plentiful models of B-24) preserved in either of our main national museums- Dayton or NASM, when Dayton has a B-17D,F, and G all present and either preserved or under restoration; Pima does have an ex-Indian Air Force example indoors
Was used as an instructional airframe at Spartan School in Tulsa for decades, providing A&P training on 4 engine aircraft

Those are just a couple of suggestions...

kevin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 pm 

Save the plane and the plant that built it at the same time. Show them savethebomberplant.org. a match made back in the 40'S to save the world. Imagine those big Willow Run hangars doors opening to show 1 of the over 8000 B-24's that the plant produced...the only one left in the U.S.. The plant has been saved....lets help Yankee save one of the its B-24s it produced.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

To be fair, how is the condition of the Castle Air Museum B-24M? Is this airframe still US property or not?

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd be surprised if Barksdale lets this plane go. Unless they decide to get rid of their static displays, it will probably stay put. If they did decide to get rid of their collection, it would be up to the NMUSAF to decide their fate. Dispersal to other bases would be the likely answer.
I believe the collection at Castle falls under the guidelines of the NMUSAF...if I'm not mistaken. I've heard the Castle collection is in decent shape and well cared for considering it sits outdoors.
As far as the NASM wanting the B-24 (and older post), have they even asked for it and do they want it? Seems like they have a full plate of planes waiting to be restored...as much as I would like to see the B-24 go there. It would look amazing with the B-29 and (eventually) the B-17...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

APG85 wrote:
I'd be surprised if Barksdale lets this plane go. Unless they decide to get rid of their static displays, it will probably stay put. If they did decide to get rid of their collection, it would be up to the NMUSAF to decide their fate. Dispersal to other bases would be the likely answer.
I believe the collection at Castle falls under the guidelines of the NMUSAF...if I'm not mistaken. I've heard the Castle collection is in decent shape and well cared for considering it sits outdoors.
As far as the NASM wanting the B-24 (and older post), have they even asked for it and do they want it? Seems like they have a full plate of planes waiting to be restored...as much as I would like to see the B-24 go there. It would look amazing with the B-29 and (eventually) the B-17...

If it remains at Barksdale,
in 10 years it will be beer cans.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:09 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Has anyone at the new Yankee Air Museum approached the USAF regarding supplying a fiberglass B-24 replica to replace their static B-24 in order to obtain the Ford-built example for a move to Willow Run? Has anyone ever confirmed what became of the molds made for the Lackland B-24?

I know this approach has worked in the past and I hear rumors of it possibly being discussed for another static in the present. Given the various bases stretch to find funds to properly maintain a static, the switch to fiberglass is nearly a win/win for all parties.

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Google images now show this B-24 was repainted in a desert tan scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am 

Clipped from the net...
Attachment:
D31582B1-C9DD-4F62-A844-0D627D31EEF4.jpeg
D31582B1-C9DD-4F62-A844-0D627D31EEF4.jpeg [ 46.13 KiB | Viewed 668 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:47 pm 

I thought I had heard from Yankee Air Museum that they were supposed to get that B-24 eventually. Not sure with agreements and such with the NMUSAF that private companies can buy the aircraft to make them airworthy or not. I personally wish that Kermit would sell/donate his ex Dave Tallichet B-24 to Yankee Air Museum. It is not high on his priority list to get it up flying again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not one to tell someone to give/donate a multi-million dollar aircraft ...but I agree, it would be nice to see Kermit loan the B-24 to Yanks.
They'd do some work on it and give it a good home where it could be seen by the public.

Clearly, it would be a "win-win".

Hopefully, someone will broach the subject with Weeks.