Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Link Trainer Fuel Gauges
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:12 pm 

Hello All,

I've struck out trying to source two fuel gauges in the UK and Europe for my Link D2 restoration.

No luck on Barnstormers, Ebay or other commercial Link Trainer Spares sources.

Wonder if any of you have one or more kicking about your workshops that could be exchanged for some dosh.

The type used was common to C and E types then followed on fitted into CA, ANT etc

This is a piccky of the instrument type in an early trainer version (to the left of the altimeter)
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn258/swinnfamily_2008/rach4006.jpg

This is a view of the Air Trainers Type D2 that I'm restoring
http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachme ... 81&thumb=1

The empty holes top right of the panel are where the two gauges should live.

Regards
Ross McNeill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm 

Hi Ross,

I might be able to assist. I'm in Melbourne, Australia and own one of the RAAF's old D4 Mk II Link Trainers, A13-157. I do have some spares, including a single electric fuel gauge, green and white lettered. It's serviceable.

The unit is essentially an electric motor - driven timer. A key is used to set a quantity of fuel on the gauge. When the tank in question is selected, the timer gradually runs down to E. When it hits E, a set of contacts open and the fuel warning light on the instrument panel is illuminated. If a tank containing fuel is not selected within a few seconds, the trainer 'crashes' (shuts down).

First row down in the photo, fourth box across to the right, third instrument from left. Not a good image of it, but all I have to hand at the moment. Unfortunately it's only one and you need two, but it's a start.

I'm always looking out for D4 bits - have a few things I'm trying to locate. Drop me a note and let's discuss.

Regards

Dom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:01 pm 

Oh - forgot to add - you refer to your Link as a D2, but your photos look D4. If your interior / panel looks something like mine below, it's a D4. Spectacle grip control wheel is early, joystick is late D4 prop engine. Some of the later joystick D4s were modded to simulate early jet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:55 am 

Cheers Dom,

That's the beast

I've sent a PM with an offer and contact email.

Sorry about the brain fade, as you correctly say my version is a D4 Mk I - an early one (serial D4-030).

Back in the day I worked on both the RAF D4 Mk I and the D4 Mk II.

The RAF Jet Mk II had only a few cosmetic changes to your piccy such as suction, oil, radio tuner/loop sense instrument format and fuel selector switch position.

Regards
Ross