Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

One last post.
There is another newsreel floating around that includes a close-up of an airplane's cockpit.
On the side of the plane just below the canopy is a badge for the CQTU taken from this:

So depending upon the aircraft and time frame, you can include this for a fully decked-out model.

Doug Wilde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 am 

Thank you, Mark, for these amazing images!!! Would you consider granting permission for a couple of them to be used in a Museum exhibit?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Absolutely! help yourself. Credit the National Museum of Naval Aviation Archives and Warbird Information Exchange.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 am 

Thanks! I will post when everything is complete!

Would the Museum have higher resolution images? Happy to contact them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wouldn't imagine the NMNA has better resolution images of these particular photos, they do have thousands of originals but these photos have been floating around the internet for many years. Doesn't hurt to ask them though.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just make sure you fill in the "pupil" of Donald Duck's eyeball - looks like the illustrator forgot. Makes him kind of ineffective at what he's doing... :shock:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:30 pm 

I just completed the restoration of F6F-3 25910 and I want to correct the record on the Hellcat tail hook. It was actuated and retracted by an electric motor, chain and cable system. Later aircraft, such as the Panther/Cougar had a stinger actuator that would raise the hook, but it had to be unlocked and retracted manually by flight deck crewman using a welded pipe "basket'. although I never worked on the Bearcat--it appears to have the Hellcat's arrangement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 am 

Thank you Mr. Allen. A friend just forwarded this sight to me and I was fascinated to see one of your photographs with Ensign John Hood in a FM2 wildcat. I believe this to be the same John Hood that ended up with P-38's in the Pacific theater and was a close friend of the family and godfather to my sister. Never seen this picture before as John was very private about his combat experiences. You appear close in the Santa Ynez Valley while I reside on the ranch near Lake Nacimiento. Just hosted one of the last ME-262 pilots here for a visit to the Concourse car show in Pebble Beach. He is 94 years young and was driving go-karts on my track.

Share others wonderment on the TDN as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Craig, glad you enjoy the place. Lots of nice stuff around here. And nice history on Ensign Hood, thanks much.
And Ah yes! Lake Nacimiento. Know it well as I do a bit of boating there from time to time. Water's quite low right now :( Actually heading to Pebble Beach / Carmel this weekend. Lovely area up where you live and not far from me.

Once again welcome.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some/most of you may already know about this...
A couple of weeks back I flew into Midway airport. Walking to the baggage claim, I wondered if there were any aircraft on display, like the F4F at O"Hare.
Suddenly, there's a nice SBD!
You could have knocked me over with a feather (as old folks used to say). I don't recall ever seeing a SBD before (if I did I suspect it was at Chino).

It also had some information on the two lake carriers.

I was surprised to say the least.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm 

Jim MacDonald wrote:
F6FDriver,

Would love to hear more of your experiences, not only with the Wolverine, but with VF-12 as well. Since you qualified in late '42, were you in another squadron besides VF-12 or did you do two tours with VF-12?

Thanks in advance,

Mac

How do I reply? well, mac, here goes ... I was in Original Air group 12 formed in san diego in 1942, I was in VB-12
for that tour ( they went aboard Saratoga, which forced a reduction in pilots ..I was left on shore...BAH) then in 1944 I joined VB-12 in Alameda, then to Fallon ,nevada...when the Navy increased fighter numbers I quickly volunteered!then the Navy decided to use marine F4U's on carriers and two divisions (8) of us were transferred to VF-12! back in sandiego, again! this time I was able to complete tour and enjoyed serving under Noel AM Gayler,FNMichaelis both later full admirals..one of my wingmen,Roy Bruce has chronicled our tour in "Crommelin's
Thunderbirds" USNavalInstitute, and also Amazon books.HIGHLY recommended (by ME!)YES, my name is rex d thompson, listed in Crommelin's Thunderbirds, as LT. and served in post war years finally received Fighter squadron COMMAND, alas it came to an end when VISION failed...BAH!

Last edited by F6FDriver on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:32 am 

F6FDriver,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I'll have to reread my copy of Crommelin's Thunderbirds. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of any of Air Group 12's microfilmed squadron history or ACA-1s to go through. I'll have to rectify that situation ASAP.

If it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience, I'm sure most of us (there are a few AAF fans here :roll: ) would be interested in hearing more of your experiences. Also, would you mind sharing your name with us.

Thanks again for replying & I hope I'm not being a pain or too pushy.

Mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a bit of history of CVG-12

http://www.vbf-12.com/docs/trng/history.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 am 

Great photos. Good thing these have been preserved well. I remember my grandfather who is a US Veteran. I salute them all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:14 pm 

A former ATA colleague of mine happened to send an email with a link to this page today thinking I would like the Corsair pictures because of my dad. Little did he know that my father, a Naval Aviator in WW2, learned to fly on and off carriers from the USS Wolverine. Great pictures and impressive research!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next